Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty sure most INTPs like to dissect their experiences, boil them down and come out with a nugget of wisdom. So I'm curious if you have any. I have a running list at the back of my journals, so I'll start by posting a few of my own. If you're in the mood, I'd love to hear what experience led you to your revelation.

I'll go ahead and start with a little ironic twist:

1. Wisdom is a double edged sword.
Meaning that it's great to know the consequences of your actions before you do them, but it also sort of spoils the fun.

2. Say what you mean, mean what you say.
If full out honesty isn't going to work, get as close as you possibly can to it.

3. If you're going to win an argument with a fool, you may have to argue like a fool.
Not every argument is worth the process of winning it, and sometimes engaging in it makes you look like the fool.

4. Let a fool expose themselves
Piggybacking with number 3... don't even bother calling them out, they'll demonstrate they're a fool soon enough

5. Never be afraid of failure as long as you intend to learn from it
Hey, I made a lot of mistakes to come up with this little list!

6. There is no justice in nature.
Bad shit happens to really good people and great things happen to really shitty people. The world is essentially nonsensical with how this plays out... this is about to send me into an existential rabbit hole, so I'll stop right here.

7. "The clear and safe path leads always to stagnation." -Frank Herbert (Dune)
I believe the quickest path to learning is through a perception shift. Which usually means you're operating out of your routine or comfort zone.

8. You cannot take control of a situation until you take responsibility for it.
Sometimes the only thing you can take responsibility for is how you react to something... but you can still attempt to control that.

Any more pearls of wisdom?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
-9. Procrastinate NOW! -or- Procrastinate, NOW! w/ excuses;

If you don't feel like doing it just yet, you can take care of it later. If later is too late, blame a random living thing with a proper random act of destruction to fit the scenario to make it believable; e.g. procrastinated term paper? - The dog ate it.; lost digital thesis? - My cat pushed my laptop over the table and it won't turn on so i can't get to it.; missed birthday? - I got you a pet bunny, but some asshole ran over it as I was coming over so I'm short $500 to get you something meaningful. Because responsibility and consequences are secondary, the combinations are limitless.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
2. Say what you mean, mean what you say.
If full out honesty isn't going to work, get as close as you possibly can to it.
story of my life.

My experience has lead me twist my honesty in a positive light. If it's negative it's better to just keep my mouth shut.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
People dont change.
Im 22, seen 3 US elections and made it out through a civil war. Dont expect others to see their mistakes, or acknowledge them. People are fickle, and selfish. No use in trying to change them.

Live for yourself, fuck everybody else.
Depending on other for happiness is stupid. Caring what other think abut you is time spent wasted. What they think about you is none of your business. Just do what makes you happy.

·
Banned
463 Posts
People are generally very reasonable.

Conflict in relationships almost always comes down to miscommunication.

It is nice to have a good understanding of some theory, but it is equally important to apply what you learn.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Lowering yourself to an idiots level is what you have to do, they wont understand or learn if you act all high and mighty, they are too stupid to understand.....so when fighting stupid match with stupid

·
Registered
278 Posts
Criticizing can be disastrous, even though your intentions are to help them out and you know the more efficient way, they won't always listen to you. Take a different approach to their improvement, it's their mind that needs to adapt-- they don't have your point of view for the change you WANT them to make.

I tend to just be over-critical of people because I know they can act better from seeing it before. Now that I look at myself with introspection... I'm such a hypocrite. This gets me into many unnecessary logical arguments that just create awkwardness in the relationship. Accept them for who they are and be the better person. You will have more time to spend enjoying your own life, rather than spending it looking at how someone else is living theirs and making mistakes.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
'Just do it.'
I've found it helpful/necessary to force myself into this frame of mind sometimes. Switch off the apprehension for a bit and just take action.
I'm not sure if this was your intention or not but what I was going to put was this:

"Sometimes the consequences of completing a job below perfection are lower than the consequences of waiting until perfection is within reach." <-I'm gonna make that famous someday:wink:

·
&#40656;&#32218; ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
I'm not sure if this was your intention or not but what I was going to put was this:

"Sometimes the consequences of completing a job below perfection are lower than the consequences of waiting until perfection is within reach." <-I'm gonna make that famous someday:wink:

That sounds like the 80/20 principle.

·
&#40656;&#32218; ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
....how does this relate to my quote? Granted I didn't read too much into it because... well, the first few paragraphs just about summed it up and it didn't seem to have anything do with my quote....

your quote was: "Sometimes the consequences of completing a job below perfection are lower than the consequences of waiting until perfection is within reach."

The way I'm interpreting it compared to the 80/20 principle is, if completing a job that's 80% near completion, it's better to consider it 'done' than waiting for it to reach 100% perfection which may take eternity or may never happen. As a result, deeming the job as 'complete' before it's actually finished is better than waiting or not meeting the deadline (if any).

So for example, releasing a game to the public @ 80% complete is better than forcing them to wait 'x' more number of months pass the announced press release date. The remaining 20% of the game can be patched and released on the fly via downloadable content. The consequences for waiting for perfection will be angering the consumer-base for potentially delaying the release date on the premise of 'bug-fix' versus appeasing the consumer-base by abiding from announced deadline as gameplay and mechanics will be worked out on the fly. The decision will be based on will a half-ass released game that 's 'good enough' bring in quicker revenue to meet margins and quarterly end or will waiting longer to continue fixes guarantee a safer return rate to meet public expectations?

Hope this analogy works, unless I have misunderstood everything altogether. If so, my apologies. I'll refrain from continuing this comparison on a false pretense.

·
Registered
186 Posts
[QUOTE/] The way I'm interpreting it compared to the 80/20 principle is, if completing a job that's 80% near completion, it's better to consider it 'done' than waiting for it to reach 100% perfection which may take eternity or may never happen. As a result, deeming the job as 'complete' before it's actually finished is better than waiting or not meeting the deadline (if any).[/QUOTE]

Focusing 80% effort on the major 20% of your goal. If you want perfection, spend your effort on that instead of completing the project. I get it, nice analogy :)

Reactions: qingdom

·
Registered
108 Posts
Having high standards for competency is not a valid excuse to not try something - failing is only bad if you measure success by the result of the first try.

Reactions: L, Deanna and Ordev

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
\

Good one, but hmm..."lower consequences" is a bit ambiguous.

Feel free to interpret it how you want, but what I had in mind didn't really have anything to do with perfection or completion though. More of a "Just shut up, brain/feelings!" and get on with what has to be done/what you're always second-guessing about.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
-9. Procrastinate NOW! -or- Procrastinate, NOW! w/ excuses;

If you don't feel like doing it just yet, you can take care of it later. If later is too late, blame a random living thing with a proper random act of destruction to fit the scenario to make it believable; e.g. procrastinated term paper? - The dog ate it.; lost digital thesis? - My cat pushed my laptop over the table and it won't turn on so i can't get to it.; missed birthday? - I got you a pet bunny, but some asshole ran over it as I was coming over so I'm short $500 to get you something meaningful. Because responsibility and consequences are secondary, the combinations are limitless.
I actually feel that sometimes procrastination SAVES you time in the end. With some tasks it's not immediately clear how vital they are and how firm the deadline is. By letting it go until the last minute, you don't need to make any changes if the task changes and sometimes the task itself becomes unimportant in light of new things.

Life lesson: parking tickets and moving violations DO NOT fall into this category.

(I also have an argument for why my messy desk is actually very efficient :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts