Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so without all the story behind it here's my question: ISTPs are major Ti users, right? So say you like someone. Can you actually decide not to? And when you decide not to like someone, how much / is there emotion involved/behind it?

(if you want the story, ask. I'm slightly to irritated at myself to type it)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
If you mean romantically then I say no. But you can try damn hard not to and mostly hide your emotions from yourself and others.
When you decide not to like someone, that's almost always a non-emotional thing. You're telling your emotions to go elsewhere and that they aren't needed. But they will break through sometimes. That's okay. The goal isn't to turn yourself into a robot, it's to protect yourself against this person.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I'm not an ISTP. But, from a general perspective...I would say that you can make the decision to not interact with someone you like but the actual liking them I think changes with distance and time. Just my 2 cents. But, I'm sure the old adage there is a thin line between love and hate is around for a reason.

Also think ole Blue made some good points to. Go Blue! LOL! ;)

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Reactions: n2freedom

·
Banned
492 Posts
Ok, so without all the story behind it here's my question: ISTPs are major Ti users, right? So say you like someone. Can you actually decide not to? And when you decide not to like someone, how much / is there emotion involved/behind it?

Still have feelings for a dude you cant shake??? lol

Just ask yourself questions, get to the source...why do you like them still. Ask yourself questions about yourself. What caused you to like them? Was it something they did? Is it a psychological thing?

Literally, why do you have feelings for them? Do they make you feel good? in control? feel confident? What is the reason you are emotionally connected to them? Have you made them part of your own "self"? making them part of your personality?

eventually you will get to the roots, and realize that you can actually just stop liking them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, I can decide not to like someone. In time, the feeling fades. In the meantime, depending on how much I've already invested and allowed myself to burn for that person, other emotions surface: usually anger, resentment, and self-loathing for being alone, feeling socially inadequate.

Nothing takes me to a darker place than rejecting my feelings for someone else, except perhaps being rejected.

Reactions: JamieBond

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still have feelings for a dude you cant shake??? lol

Just ask yourself questions, get to the source...why do you like them still. Ask yourself questions about yourself. What caused you to like them? Was it something they did? Is it a psychological thing?

Literally, why do you have feelings for them? Do they make you feel good? in control? feel confident? What is the reason you are emotionally connected to them? Have you made them part of your own "self"? making them part of your personality?

eventually you will get to the roots, and realize that you can actually just stop liking them.
lol yeah, maybe i should have made that clearer... i HAVE stopped liking him. it was weird because i just did. i decided i didn't anymore.

I'm wondering if others have done this, too.

·
Banned
2,233 Posts

Raging hormones. Nothing more, nothing less.
Eventually you'll grow out of it.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh...well GOOD for you! Means you didn't really need to fill any holes that were in your "self"....haha....holes.
thank you, sir, you just made my day!!! LOL

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Are you being an asshole again? :proud::proud:
Of course...it's a tough job but somebody's got to do it. Why not me? LOL!

@jamiebond ... you made me laugh really hard. But, to add more of my 2 cents..... Typically when I just stop liking somebody it usually because either I saw a huge character flaw about the person or just don't see a future with them so I lose all interest.

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
I don't know--I haven't been attracted to anybody in years, to be honest. That part of me is dead.
Either way, I frankly just don't like people across the board, romantically, platonically, whatever.

What's the point?
Everybody disappoints in the end.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Duck_of_Death:2351826 said:
I don't know--I haven't been attracted to anybody in years, to be honest. That part of me is dead.
Either way, I frankly just don't like people across the board, romantically, platonically, whatever.

What's the point?
Everybody disappoints in the end.
oh hush you big softy.

@JamieBond

Yes I've done it. @BlueGiraffe is probably correct, but I prefer to live in the denial that I can control my feelings with the proverbial push of a button

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doesn't everyone decide if they like someone or not? Regardless of type? Maybe I just don't understand?
lol yes... but like deciding you don't like someone contrary to what you may be feeling.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm. Okay I see what you're saying. And you think this may just be an Ti thing then?
not just. maybe a T thing in general??

(ok, on a sidenote, this can't be healthy. deciding not to like or care about people)

Reactions: n2freedom

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
not just. maybe a T thing in general??

(ok, on a sidenote, this can't be healthy. deciding not to like or care about people)
...I typically ignore the feelings part. When I dislike or like them. But I can see what you're saying.

I think it can be healthy, but if used in the wrong way it can be bad.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts