Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,I'm 18 and an INTP apparently , I mean I don't think I'm intelligent or even have the potential to be smart, maybe I find a liking to INTP so I lie to myself to match up to it and feel good I guess, I don't know. I don't think you can guess my MBTI but if you can go ahead love to hear you opinion.

I couldn't really find this specific question in any forms, to find a answer to even kinda match my question I had to pull information from different parts of forms, but my question with a little back story is to any INTP out there, who's master themselves and who they are.

Here we go, I've seen this movie limitless and it's my favorite movie now, it got me thinking it's obviously not possible for someone to be like that using a pill or if it is I don't want this pill but the type of person he was, the focus, intellectual, aware, and the two biggest able to get rid of all fears/anxiety, also with a high control of motivation, knowing what to do and how to achieve it. My biggest struggle is that control of motivation and knowing what I want to do. There's so much going on with me and my mind that I feel a lost of control. My anxiety gets the best of me and my inner world feels like it's being held up by a tread. There's this girl I like and I consider her as my best friend, even though I have stronger feeling then that and I wish we would give me a chance but I tell her everything and am completely honest with her, she even if she can't understand at time knows about 89-92% of what flows through my brain. You'll know why I brought her up in a second. I've been greatly depressed lately for the last two years actually, cause of not being able to control emotions since I've stopped being distracted by games and anime and mostly being for some reason although I love being by myself, isolated,but I feel so lonely, like I wish I could talk to someone, a girlfriend and they could talk about random theoretically or interesting things with me, the girl I talk about she listens but she not my girlfriend or anything so she won't make time to talk to me at anytime which is whatever. Okay back to my question, last week I remembered this movie and I choice to start trying to create the best version of myself to be somewhat like that but not leaving the nature of who I am so I could keep a foundation and not give up, it was going kinda good I was getting motivated just a bit more then my random spikes of energy but they were still random and just like the movie when he would run out of pill I could feel when that motivation was over and when I was motivated everything was cleared and anxiety thoughts were gone for a bit. This whole week my friend had been super sad and even when I asked her what was up on text she wouldn't tell me, today she told me about how she had a panic attack on Monday, and a couple of days later broke up with her boyfriend, she said she didn't want to talk about it just told me because I kept asking, I was still okay I think, I was both sad and happy for her because 1. I kinda love her and didn't want her to date someone else (sick i know) 2. because she was sad and I didn't like it. Then later a my high school college advisory (I don't talk to many people and she was one of the few teachers I talk to not that much just listened, she's 21) told me about how lonely she was feeling bc of a situation with her ex and there I felt my emotion about feeling lonely, I tried to hold it back to stop myself from falling into that rabbit hole again.

I went to the gym and then I had what I call my version of a panic attack, thinking about my friend wishing she could with me and hating myself, life, and just an explosion of emotion and just depressed. Fell into a video on youtube talking something that reminding me of limitless and me wanting to reach that but not knowing

I guess I just want to know, if any INTP has any good tips that has worked for them to keeping motivation up, that high focus feeling consistently, with a great deal on how to control emotions or manage it, maybe tips for Anxiety that doesn't involve pills?:sad::unsure: because I want to archive the best version of myself

(Sorry, if my writing has a lot of jumping thoughts or if this idea sounds incredibly stupid, I thought maybe something would help )
In case you don't know the movie that's a little overview

·
Registered
713 Posts
It's interesting you would ask this question during a time that I am contemplating similar things. I have some possible advice, but I admit that these ideas have not yet been put to the test by me since I'm just coming off of a good month of soul searching. Anywho, this is how I see it: everyone has a Self beckoning to them from the future. It does so through aspirations and potential, and potential is nothing more than what is achievable with time. If you ignore you're potential, you find yourself in a severe existential crisis. Having been in such a state in my past, and for a considerable amount of time, I can tell you it is an inconceivably horrible self-torture.

I wasn't aware that I was doing it to myself of even why I felt the way I did at the time. But that isn't the point. The point is that there are severe consequences for ignoring your potential. It's like one of our most base impulses is a drive to realize our potential, and the mental anguish that comes from ignoring this drive is intended to compel people forward. Despite this, many people still don't work toward that future Self, and that of course is because we have lots of other drives that are often in conflict with this one. For example, we have a drive to conserve energy, so sitting on the couch is easier than going to the gym.

Now, to actually answer your question, when it comes to goals and motivation people miss a very important fact. We don't do things based on what we want, we do them based on what we expect. A simple example of this would be that everyone would love to win the lottery, but most people don't buy lottery tickets because most people don't expect to win. It is you're expectation of what will happen as a result of your effort that truly motivates you. Your expectations need to be important enough to you that you are sufficiently motivated by them, and they need to be inline with your overall goals.

There is an well-known tendency for INTPs to focus on everything that can go wrong and/or the likeliness of things going wrong. Be like Han and tell your inner C3PO to STFU. Worrying about what might not work is a phenomenally effective way to ensure you never do anything. Worry about what will go wrong only in the context of your goals and expectations: this is what I expect to happen if I do these things, and these are the things that could go wrong, and this is how I can help mitigate the possibility of those things happening. An ineffective approach would be, "I can't expect this to happen because look at all the things that could go wrong. I'm just gunna do nothing instead." Finally, don't lie to yourself. If you haven't put the work in, you simply don't actually know.

You never stated specifically in concrete terms what this higher version of yourself actually looks like, but in my opinion, women are a very strong motivating factor. If men specifically do in fact have an instinctual drive toward a higher ideal self, it's most likely related to sexual relationships. Few women actually worth being with want to be in a relationship with a lazy, incompetent, slug who can't accomplish anything in their life. You very likely have a very strong motivating factor in your life right now. It's an admittedly flimsy one, but that's life. Your expectations will be dashed from time to time. Still beats the hell out of the existential nightmare that comes when you refuse the call of that future Self. Trust me on that one.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Thought is action in rehearsal. Thinking about who you'd like to be and taking no action furthering that aim because of fear your projection will collapse before your eyes isn't going to get you there, mate. Get back to me after your balls drop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's interesting you would ask this question during a time that I am contemplating similar things. I have some possible advice, but I admit that these ideas have not yet been put to the test by me since I'm just coming off of a good month of soul searching. Anywho, this is how I see it: everyone has a Self beckoning to them from the future. It does so through aspirations and potential, and potential is nothing more than what is achievable with time. If you ignore you're potential, you find yourself in a severe existential crisis. Having been in such a state in my past, and for a considerable amount of time, I can tell you it is an inconceivably horrible self-torture.

I wasn't aware that I was doing it to myself of even why I felt the way I did at the time. But that isn't the point. The point is that there are severe consequences for ignoring your potential. It's like one of our most base impulses is a drive to realize our potential, and the mental anguish that comes from ignoring this drive is intended to compel people forward. Despite this, many people still don't work toward that future Self, and that of course is because we have lots of other drives that are often in conflict with this one. For example, we have a drive to conserve energy, so sitting on the couch is easier than going to the gym.

Now, to actually answer your question, when it comes to goals and motivation people miss a very important fact. We don't do things based on what we want, we do them based on what we expect. A simple example of this would be that everyone would love to win the lottery, but most people don't buy lottery tickets because most people don't expect to win. It is you're expectation of what will happen as a result of your effort that truly motivates you. Your expectations need to be important enough to you that you are sufficiently motivated by them, and they need to be inline with your overall goals.

There is an well-known tendency for INTPs to focus on everything that can go wrong and/or the likeliness of things going wrong. Be like Han and tell your inner C3PO to STFU. Worrying about what might not work is a phenomenally effective way to ensure you never do anything. Worry about what will go wrong only in the context of your goals and expectations: this is what I expect to happen if I do these things, and these are the things that could go wrong, and this is how I can help mitigate the possibility of those things happening. An ineffective approach would be, "I can't expect this to happen because look at all the things that could go wrong. I'm just gunna do nothing instead." Finally, don't lie to yourself. If you haven't put the work in, you simply don't actually know.

You never stated specifically in concrete terms what this higher version of yourself actually looks like, but in my opinion, women are a very strong motivating factor. If men specifically do in fact have an instinctual drive toward a higher ideal self, it's most likely related to sexual relationships. Few women actually worth being with want to be in a relationship with a lazy, incompetent, slug who can't accomplish anything in their life. You very likely have a very strong motivating factor in your life right now. It's an admittedly flimsy one, but that's life. Your expectations will be dashed from time to time. Still beats the hell out of the existential nightmare that comes when you refuse the call of that future Self. Trust me on that one.

That makes sense, in my head, thanks you for you point of view and advice, I hope this theory/tips works but if anything it definitely helping me take an another step forward to achieve the best version of myself that I'm trying to reach. Also with the woman thing, you made me realize that behind most man there's a strong woman supporting him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought is action in rehearsal. Thinking about who you'd like to be and taking no action furthering that aim because of fear your projection will collapse before your eyes isn't going to get you there, mate. Get back to me after your balls drop.
Yes you are correct, but I think the mind needs to be organized other wise after a while it will fall upon itself. That how I feel anyways, I've been trying but my mind ends up falling apart, I'm working on it though, I'm just trying to organize everything, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My key to motivation: find things that I enjoy doing for their own sake, do those things, and when I get bored of those things, I do other things that I enjoy, finding new connections between those things, principles that underlie the process of learning them. I do A for a while, then do B, then C, then D. Eventually I find I'm interested in more and more. Everything becomes related in its subtext. As I learn more, become more proficient, my curiosity expands. I don't get burnt out because I can work on multiple ideas while taking space from others, letting everything digest. Eventually, through many small actions, day after day, year after year, I become decent as some subjects and a master at others. Everything feeds everything else.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
The only motivations I have are towards wanting to try out beer and vodka.
Yeah, I may be the last person you would want to ask about motivation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts