Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the deal is on this? I've seen this as "security" and "stress" points; I've seen it as "lines of integration and disintegration". I've also just heard them called "connections". Are there differences in theory? (I never followed this part too closely because I didn't see my type and therefore didn't see this phenomenon in myself.)

I first started with Riso and Hudson, who explain dis/integration as going one way when you're experiencing stress and the other way when you're experiencing growth. I see this a LOT in me as a 7--massive, huge, and ugly connection to 1. But I can also see many positive attributes of 1 in my general life--I'm generally described as wise, discerning, tolerant, painstakingly fair, and responsible. The same thing with 5--I can be bitter, misanthropic, withdrawn, and contemptuous of that ship of fools known as humanity--in addition to being intensely focused and fascinated by the world. I think of them more as clear connections which influence me in more than one way.

(My tritype has an 8 and 4, which also have 1 and 5 connections; I don't know to what degree that influences it, if at all. I feel no connection to 2.)

What's your experience with this? Do you integrate/disintegrate? Or is it more like having a connection to those points?

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
There is one Enneagram guy (Tom Condon, I think his name is) who described both as having positive and negative connections. Here's the link for Type 7.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
RH describes each Enneagram as having a basic fear. Vaguely speaking, the more at peace with this central issue a person becomes the healthier they become. They seem more like another type because the issue holding them back has been lessened. I consider my core type to play a large role in the level of trust to each type showing through, but the the core type works autonomously within my own state of mind. When you become obsessed by your basic fear or begin to lose faith in your ability to work against the fear then you start disintegrating, and happen to look like another type as you pick up a few of their characteristics.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
There is one Enneagram guy (Tom Condon, I think his name is) who described both as having positive and negative connections. Here's the link for Type 7.
ooog. i read the description of 5, and it was 100% accurate. i've been all those things.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
ooog. i read the description of 5, and it was 100% accurate. i've been all those things.
It's pretty accurate for me too. Especially when I'm disintegrating, I lack focus and I'm all over the place, which is completely unlike me. It drives me crazy. I've always wondered, what's up with me? Usually I have the concentration like a steel bear trap. When focused, I can concentrate on the task in front of me to the exclusion of all other stimuli. During these periods of disintegration, I can't read a book to the end to save my life. I just get bored, even if it's a fantastic book; I'll re-read it again later, and finish it in a day. It's very strange.

And as for the unhealthy connection to 8, I definitely had the "standoffish, go-to-hell attitude" when I was in high school.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I had the opportunity to do a training with Tom Condon last September, going into it a bit skeptically, but he was so fantastic. His company, ChangeWorks puts out DVD's as well. At the time I didn't bother buying any but now I'm looking into grabbing a few. Youtube has a few of his videos but they're all around 5 minutes long. He's very interesting to watch in my person if you ever get the chance (he's a very healthy 6w5).

ETA: Just noticed there's a podcast on the website discussing stress and security points: http://hw.libsyn.com/p/3/2/e/32e224...33997836&hwt=9df9192f4cfadb70bee6ce44ad04f54c
And an article:
http://www.thechangeworks.com/images/StressSecure.pdf

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I had the opportunity to do a training with Tom Condon last September, going into it a bit skeptically, but he was so fantastic. His company, ChangeWorks puts out DVD's as well. At the time I didn't bother buying any but now I'm looking into grabbing a few. Youtube has a few of his videos but they're all around 5 minutes long. He's very interesting to watch in my person if you ever get the chance (he's a very healthy 6w5).
Cool! I'll have to look him up on Youtube when I have more time. The semester is almost over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts