Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming all INFJs value authenticity, is your upper lip larger than your lower lip?

If face reading is true, then:

For these people (with bigger upper lip) it is important to be authentic. They connect less to what you say and more to what you are. A slick presentation may sound phony and they are quick to spot deception. When communicating with these people the best advice is to relax and be yourself.

Interestingly, I possess this facial feature and what is written here is very true about me. Just curious if it's the same with other INFJs.

Illustrated Guide to Face Reading | Financial Jesus

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
My lips are about equally big. But my upper lip will look thinner than the other one if you look at me from a slight upper angle. xD

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm skeptical about face-reading, if only because you can't ignore the role of genetics. most of my facial features I get from my father, or my father's side of the family. Except for my eyes...they're larger than everyone else's. They're green because green eyes run rampant in both sides of my family - my parents, myself, and my brother all have them.

I tend to think that facial expressions are a little more indicative of personality than physical features.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I feel like a lot of these descriptions are based on stereotypes or assumptions of people with certain features. If you have a gap in your front teeth, you're more likely to take risks? If you have a long nose, you're likely to be in charge of the money? Come on. I'm going to attribute physical features to genetics and we're just assigning generalized descriptions to ideas of a person.

What I am curious about, though, are the eyebrows. I think that, based on our general modes of thinking, we adapt a certain look about our eyes. It seems like many INFJs have a very 'dispassionate' or perhaps 'angry' look about their eyes...at least, I get comments all the time about how angry or sad I look. Just thinking, people.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I feel like a lot of these descriptions are based on stereotypes or assumptions of people with certain features. If you have a gap in your front teeth, you're more likely to take risks? If you have a long nose, you're likely to be in charge of the money? Come on. I'm going to attribute physical features to genetics and we're just assigning generalized descriptions to ideas of a person.
It is a bit like palmistry, isn't it? I'm wondering where they came up with some of these conclusions...did they interview a huge sample of gap-tooted people? Or did they look at Madonna and base their theory on that?

What I am curious about, though, are the eyebrows. I think that, based on our general modes of thinking, we adapt a certain look about our eyes. It seems like many INFJs have a very 'dispassionate' or perhaps 'angry' look about their eyes...at least, I get comments all the time about how angry or sad I look. Just thinking, people.
Eyes can be very expressive in general. I suppose certain personality characteristics can cause people to make certain expressions more than others. People don't generally comment on my looking sad or angry, but because I inherited dark circles under my eyes, I get asked about why I always look so tired. :)

Concealer is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I agree with @LiteratureNerd. Though, just to let you know, my lips are just about exactly equal in size. When I smile my top lip looks slightly smaller than the bottom sometimes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I like the idea behind this because it would make reading someone so simple: you would just look at them! However as it has been mentioned I do believe genetics play a big role and considering how different members of a family, even siblings can be from one another while still looking so alike, I question the validity of face reading.

This website begins all descriptions of types with a brief physical description: Ethical-Intuitive Intratim - INFj (The Empath)
INFjs have a very characteristic dispassionate facial expression. This is often reminiscent of the depiction of saints and martyrs from early Christian icons. Their faces convey the feeling that their soul is suffering even when it is not. INFjs faces are often perfect ovals but can be rectangular in shape as well. Their noses are usually straight and slightly elongated, but not prominent.
The descriptions are fairly general though and one could probably see themselves in many of the other personality types. Its too difficult to assume all people with square faces are severe for example.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'm unfailingly honest, and my lower lip is much larger and fuller than my upper lip. So much so that I've developed a habit of drawing it in to make my lips look more symmetrical.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I've got false lips.

·
Banned
158 Posts
This reminds me of zodiac descriptions. I'm the opposite of a Scorpio save for maybe the emotional and "complex" part. Even then I hesitate to call myself complex because it seems really arrogant. And then I think, well aren't I arrogant for thinking I'm not that arrogant.

But back to the zodiacs, I can find a bit of myself in each one. They're really quite useless except for my own amusement reading about their origins to avoid work. In the same way, I can relate to many of these facial feature associations with personal character. Now I wonder how people established these associations...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a fat, blubbery bottom lip, and a nigh paper-thin top lip. So, I agree with most of the people here that it's just a stereotype, and personality types have nothing or little to do with your actual facial features. It's all about expressions.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm... so I'm the only one here with a larger upper lip?

Face reading originated from traditional Chinese medicine. Reading the face was one of the ways phyisicians predicted the onset of illnesses before they became serious. It later became an art form that delved into personality characteristics. More information below:

History of Face Reading

Face reading or physionogmy was also pratised by Greek philosophers like Aristotle and Socrates, not to mention during the Renaissance period in Europe:

Astroogy of Face reading body language physiognomy service india from askastrologer

There are also many studies out there that prove that personality traits are inherited, just like our phyiscal traits:

MAJOR PERSONALITY STUDY FINDS THAT TRAITS ARE MOSTLY INHERITED - NYTimes.com

What we inherit from our parents:

Personality Traits You May Have Inherited from Your Parents - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Why siblings have different personalities even though personality traits are inherited:

Stranger in the Nest: Do Parents Really Shape their Child's Personality, Intelligence, or Character - Stalking the Wild Taboo

In the past, I would be inclined to believe that I am not at all like my parents. My father for instance is an ISTP. We're as different as day and night in many things. But now that I'm in my 30s, I have come to realise that I am similar in many ways to him, even when it comes to traits I dislike in him. For instance, I can be as stubborn as he is. Like him, I often refuse to conform to people's expectations of me. This is not surprising because he and my mother are the first people I learn to model my behaviour from, not to mention my expectations of the world. Even before I had learnt how to speak, I had already began to learn to act like them. As the studies above indicate, personality characteristics are also passed down the genes.

It's hard to believe but there you have it- we are often more like our parents than we would like to think.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This reminds me of zodiac descriptions. I'm the opposite of a Scorpio save for maybe the emotional and "complex" part. Even then I hesitate to call myself complex because it seems really arrogant. And then I think, well aren't I arrogant for thinking I'm not that arrogant.

But back to the zodiacs, I can find a bit of myself in each one. They're really quite useless except for my own amusement reading about their origins to avoid work. In the same way, I can relate to many of these facial feature associations with personal character. Now I wonder how people established these associations...
Well, I'm a Leo. And all Leos are supposed to be extroverted and flamboyant. But I'm not. I'm an introverted INFJ :)

But when I read my Chinese horoscope, the picture becomes clearer. I'm born in the year of the snake and snakes are by nature introverted.

So far, the best astrology reading combines my Western and Chinese horoscope (i.e. Leo Snake reading that considers both my month and year of birth). I feel that Western astrology alone is not enough to give a full picture of my personality because it only takes into account the month of my birth.

Some Chinese horosocopes like bazi look into your day of birth along with the month and year. These are the most accurate of all in my opinion.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Hmmm... so I'm the only one here with a larger upper lip?

Face reading originated from traditional Chinese medicine. Reading the face was one of the ways phyisicians predicted the onset of illnesses before they became serious. It later became an art form that delved into personality characteristics. More information below:

History of Face Reading

Face reading or physionogmy was also pratised by Greek philosophers like Aristotle and Socrates, not to mention during the Renaissance period in Europe:

Astroogy of Face reading body language physiognomy service india from askastrologer

There are also many studies out there that prove that personality traits are inherited, just like our phyiscal traits:

MAJOR PERSONALITY STUDY FINDS THAT TRAITS ARE MOSTLY INHERITED - NYTimes.com

What we inherit from our parents:

Personality Traits You May Have Inherited from Your Parents - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Why siblings have different personalities even though personality traits are inherited:

Stranger in the Nest: Do Parents Really Shape their Child's Personality, Intelligence, or Character - Stalking the Wild Taboo

In the past, I would be inclined to believe that I am not at all like my parents. My father for instance is an ISTP. We're as different as day and night in many things. But now that I'm in my 30s, I have come to realise that I am similar in many ways to him, even when it comes to traits I dislike in him. For instance, I can be as stubborn as he is. Like him, I often refuse to conform to people's expectations of me. This is not surprising because he and my mother are the first people I learn to model my behaviour from, not to mention my expectations of the world. Even before I had learnt how to speak, I had already began to learn to act like them. As the studies above indicate, personality characteristics are also passed down the genes.

It's hard to believe but there you have it- we are often more like our parents than we would like to think.
Hehe, my dad is an ISTP too

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hehe, my dad is an ISTP too
I hope your relationship with him is not as challenging as my relationship with my father. We totally don't get each other. It's very hard for him to value me just as it is very hard for me to value him. And we butt heads all the time. Yet, despite the different ways we process information, we're more alike in our personality than we'd both like to think.

As they say, the apple never falls far from the tree. I am my father's daughter in more ways than one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Facial Expressions to me are mostly dependent on reactions and moods than anything else. While some things can be determined by facial, bones or whatever on your life - I think alot of it is based on reaction to events. I have delved into many psychology books on facial expressions, why people do it when they do it etc. It helps diffuse tense situations more easily when I know exactly how to respond.

Reactions: Rouge

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
I hope your relationship with him is not as challenging as my relationship with my father. We totally don't get each other. It's very hard for him to value me just as it is very hard for me to value him. And we butt heads all the time. Yet, despite the different ways we process information, we're more alike in our personality than we'd both like to think.

As they say, the apple never falls far from the tree. I am my father's daughter in more ways than one.
I get along great with him. Our subject matter is generally fiscal-related, we connect over that.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts