Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I've ever posted this on here, but when I was really young, I had a lisp. I've fixed the lisp since childhood, but when I am very tired, it comes out... I didn't even realize that this happens until recently. i sent a video message to some relatives while they were on vacation, and that's when i realized that it comes out when im tired. (in the video messages from when im not tired though, the lisp is gone again).

most people I've met, though, have been really understanding and kind about it. Even friends that know me fairly well haven't mentioned this to me, even though i've never even told them about my lisp. They don't treat me any differently than when I speak without a lisp, and they always treat me as ME, which is probably a big reason I didn't realize this had been coming out until recently.

So today.... we had a social networking session in my department. I hate these.... and we were assigned as a group to some people to work together with at this event coming up over the weekend. Today was a long day so I already knew I was lisping (i'm more aware of this now), and this girl was really uncivil about it. She was a newer transfer and before she met the rest of our group, she had asked me for a lot of help getting to know the department, etc. Later in the evening though (basically after i opened my mouth to talk a bit), every time we had to talk, she kept giving me a dirty look, and when I lisped a word (again, i was even more aware of this) she would lean the other direction with a VERY disgusted expression. At first, i thought that was her facial expression, but with the rest of the group, she was completely fine. And if there's one thing i'm good at is observing facial expressions unnoticeably.

At the end of the session, we were advised to get each other's contact info. to talk in advance. She pretty much kept brushing me off and only wanted the others. And this is the same person that was insecurely following me around and asking for help at first. I didn't feel offended, but i felt it was really rude how she acted. Ookay, maybe i was a bit offended. My lisp isn't that noticeable, and it's limited to a few consonants, that sound "shorter" but otherwise, my speech is very articulate (i was in speech and debate in h/s, and won many awards as well). I'm not going to let this get to me. I'm not upset right now, or discouraged, but I do feel something, though I'm not sure how to describe it. My brain is dead right now, but the main feeling in my mind right now is just "Are you serious? Really?" (i dont know how that would translate as a feeling though). I I just don't think it's right to treat someone differently or with disgust because of some short pronunciations with the tongue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Perhaps your lisp reminded her of someone in her past whoe took advantage of her in some way. Her reaction may hace nothing to do with you but may because of an unpleasant memory of someone with a lisp.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
That is pretty rude of her, but she'll get over it. I know when people meet first they tend to judge others more on surface. Anything that is out of the ordinary tends to really stand out. Months pass then suddenly you notice that that bald guy's main feature stops being that he is bald anymore but that he knows some good jokes and can fix your printer in no time. And that lady's poor taste in clothing gets replaced by fact that she has some most adorable kids about whom she liked to tell stories about.

Even though I am dominant intuitive even I can be susceptible to judging people negatively based on some irrelevant things about their physical presentation and appearance. For sensors probably a stronger factor, but even they re-adjust over time and get over it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm not going to let this get to me. I'm not upset right now, or discouraged, but I do feel something, though I'm not sure how to describe it. My brain is dead right now, but the main feeling in my mind right now is just "Are you serious? Really?" (i dont know how that would translate as a feeling though). I I just don't think it's right to treat someone differently or with disgust because of some short pronunciations with the tongue.
Maybe it's the 'protector' part of you wanting to protect any "lisp people" this woman may have inflicted her judgement on for such minor "offenses".

Other unsuspecting "offenders" put in your place, could have been crushed with such treatment and, (if not as self aware as yourself or as good at reading body language) not even understand why.

Just a thought as to why you felt like you did about the situation

·
Registered
76 Posts
I grew up in S TX and moved to Colo as a young adult. AND LOST MY ACCENT. My sisters are twins who as children spoke 'twin-speak' compounded with an R lisp, which they still have. When I return to TX to visit family, I come back with the accent. I get ribbed a lot. This past summer was ... sigh... and I was very tired when I returned. I was talking to a co-worker and out came the S TX accent - complete with the lisp. He didn't say anything; I just laugh quietly to myself.
As for myself, I am intelligent and speak with a slight stutter when I'm tired: I repeat a word in a sentence. It's noticeable, but no one has ever said anything except my ex husband, who responded to a comment I made about it. I agree with Booros that the lisp may simply remind her of someone she has negative feelings about. I find that usually someone's reaction or anger has more to do with themselves than with the apparent object.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts