Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello INFJ’s!

Live-stream seems to be exploding in our world today. You don’t have to be on tv anymore to have your own show. An average joe is now able to connect with people from across the world because of the power of live-stream and technology in general.

What are your thoughts on live-streaming? There are many places to experience live-stream such as YouTube, Facebook, periscope, Instagram... and so many others.

—Any general thoughts/impressions around the subject?

—Would you as an INFJ be interested in live-streaming regularly? (Other types may answer as well).

—What would you live-stream about, or what are you interested in watching in live-stream videos?

— do you feel more connected to others by the others power of live-stream?

— as an INFJ do you feel unable to live-stream because you feel you are a private person?

I’m interested in any and all thoughts on the subject, I’ll post my answers after a few people have given their input!

9,999 Posts
No ... just no. I find the whole concept inane. I don't want anyone to know anything about me, and I am generally profoundly disinterested in mundane details about the existence of my fellow hunams. If someone has something truly original and truly profound to say, I hope they will write it down - otherwise I am unlikely to ever come across it. I dislike the idea of sharing anything improvised, anything that isn't carefully vetted, meticulously planned and executed with impressive skill. I associate live streams with Se and Ne, and not in a good way. Hunams already babble way too much offline, do they have to do it online as well?

I strongly prefer writing over all other forms of communication. Contemplate your words carefully, craft them with skill and share them in a format that allows the recipient to take their time and digest your thoughts at their own pace.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I feel bad to say it, but I end up very doubtful of the typing of those personalities all over youtube... when they claim to fall within the category of one of the most self-conscious and perfectionist types, while producing inane video after video of themselves babbling endlessly, and even worse going live. How could you do anything the right way with no time to cut mistakes?!
Fe is motivated to help, but there's a time to realize when that same help has been given 1,000 times and it's a good moment to put a cork in it.
If it's just an excuse to sit in front of a camera and have people pay attention while trying to sound educated on a topic, well come on, there are so many superior ways to help others (and oneself) feel better. If video is someone's passion, what about focusing on things that really benefit from visuals, such as art techniques, cooking, makeup, hair, organizing closets, so on.

I mean really, what benefit is there to seeing someone's bobbling head and bedroom backdrop while they pontificate on subjects that can be more quickly and concisely read about? It just makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I understand it in terms of sharing events. A presentation, concert and you see it live-- I have taken classes like this and there are even ones on yoga and meditation in my city (but we meet through video chat).

I find it wonderful. I really appreciate not having to leave my house. I get to stay comfortable. As well I got to meet people I might not have or seen another 'world'. I have done a video chat with people from my city speaking to people in india (a sort of monastery I think) and it is great really

My first video chat I was nervous but as usual it goes away. I did get surprised, almost felt invaded-- I did not realize I would go 'live' right away. I couldn't even leave the video.
You still have time to think through thoughts-- I also used the text as much I could.

But I understand livestream as a meeting
I don't see the point of going live with a video and no discussion --what difference does it make if it's live?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I feel bad to say it, but I end up very doubtful of the typing of those personalities all over youtube... when they claim to fall within the category of one of the most self-conscious and perfectionist types, while producing inane video after video of themselves babbling endlessly, and even worse going live. How could you do anything the right way with no time to cut mistakes?!
Fe is motivated to help, but there's a time to realize when that same help has been given 1,000 times and it's a good moment to put a cork in it.
If it's just an excuse to sit in front of a camera and have people pay attention while trying to sound educated on a topic, well come on, there are so many superior ways to help others (and oneself) feel better. If video is someone's passion, what about focusing on things that really benefit from visuals, such as art techniques, cooking, makeup, hair, organizing closets, so on.

I mean really, what benefit is there to seeing someone's bobbling head and bedroom backdrop while they pontificate on subjects that can be more quickly and concisely read about? It just makes no sense to me.
Completely off topic, but I agree about people just trying to talk about mbti but not really knowing how to understand it and apply it. It’s the difference between someone who’s actually trained and certified on the subject, and then someone who’s just read random internet posts on it, or even parroting what others say in videos. This mbti system is actually supposed to be used to only analyze yourself and not others— most people don’t understand that that’s what it’s for. You’re going to be fighting with someone for hours over their type, but it’s not even worth it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No ... just no. I find the whole concept inane. I don't want anyone to know anything about me, and I am generally profoundly disinterested in mundane details about the existence of my fellow hunams. If someone has something truly original and truly profound to say, I hope they will write it down - otherwise I am unlikely to ever come across it. I dislike the idea of sharing anything improvised, anything that isn't carefully vetted, meticulously planned and executed with impressive skill. I associate live streams with Se and Ne, and not in a good way. Hunams already babble way too much offline, do they have to do it online as well?

I strongly prefer writing over all other forms of communication. Contemplate your words carefully, craft them with skill and share them in a format that allows the recipient to take their time and digest your thoughts at their own pace.
I respect your opinions here, and I get it. But there’s something about seeing someone share their experiences live with no editing that makes me relate to them on a real, authentic level. I’m not talking about those who mindlessly speak to get attention. There’s a difference between that and people who genuinely want to share their experiences with others. I’m just assuming you’ve never come across this type of person through live stream, but it really is cool.

There are many many things out there to see, artists and dancers, real time guided meditations, whatever the interest I’m sure there’s something, though it’s not as common yet as books or tv channels.

And for me, I’m pretty much an open book for those who care to see and ask and connect with me. This is why I’m interested in it— my Fe function is in a place where I want to talk to anyone who’ll listen. Who said it’s not all thought out and planned anyway? It certainly can be :wink:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand it in terms of sharing events. A presentation, concert and you see it live-- I have taken classes like this and there are even ones on yoga and meditation in my city (but we meet through video chat).

I find it wonderful. I really appreciate not having to leave my house. I get to stay comfortable. As well I got to meet people I might not have or seen another 'world'. I have done a video chat with people from my city speaking to people in india (a sort of monastery I think) and it is great really

My first video chat I was nervous but as usual it goes away. I did get surprised, almost felt invaded-- I did not realize I would go 'live' right away. I couldn't even leave the video.
You still have time to think through thoughts-- I also used the text as much I could.

But I understand livestream as a meeting
I don't see the point of going live with a video and no discussion --what difference does it make if it's live?
Interesting experience! And there are those people who just live stream for no real reason. If you’ve ever been on periscope you’ll know what I mean. Those are kind of pointless. I guess it does depend on your intent with the broadcast. Yoga and meditation is very interesting on live-stream, I haven’t seen much of it yet around, but it sounds cool. You’d be able to give instant feedback to whoever is doing the video and they can immediately adjust to the audience’s needs.

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,043 Posts
Any general thoughts/impressions around the subject?
I find it boring and most of the time just useless.

Would you as an INFJ be interested in live-streaming regularly? (Other types may answer as well).
99% no

What would you live-stream about, or what are you interested in watching in live-stream videos?
Maybe about gaming, but I won't really want to watch any of them.

do you feel more connected to others by the others power of live-stream?
Certainly not. They are far far away, sitting in their chair doing whatever they do. At best there's a chat, but as expected it will not be functional most of the time, because there's no shortage of people writing a lot and it's almost impossible to read it properly.

as an INFJ do you feel unable to live-stream because you feel you are a private person?
ISTP. Maybe, but nah. Anyway question is slightly wrong in terms of typology.

9,999 Posts
And for me, I’m pretty much an open book for those who care to see and ask and connect with me. This is why I’m interested in it— my Fe function is in a place where I want to talk to anyone who’ll listen.
Fair enough. I tend to find verbal communication tiresome regardless of format (face to face, phone, video call etc.).

Reactions: hopebeat

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be wrong in jungian typology, I only hope we don't quietly trying to talk about that, while using MBTI name.
That’s fair.

In personality typing systems in general, I find in my experience that it’s better to apply the system to myself and not speculate about others. Unless they want to have a conversation about it with me then it’s fine. It’s just a waste of my time otherwise to argue about what type someone is. To each their own...

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,323 Posts
There are some live streamers that I like, but I can't see myself being very good at it. Not on my own anyway.

Reactions: hopebeat

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
—Any general thoughts/impressions around the subject?
I think that it's neat in general (not just live streaming) because I like putting the power back into the general public's hands. The only negative side of it is that it's become so saturated, that it can be hard to sort through all of it in order to find quality, I guess. Or really quality people might get ignored. But in general, I think the idea is neat.

—Would you as an INFJ be interested in live-streaming regularly? (Other types may answer as well).
No, it's not my thing to do it myself but I say more power to someone who has a passion/interest in that kind of thing.

—What would you live-stream about, or what are you interested in watching in live-stream videos?
I randomly decided to watch one in regards to Nutrition/fitness before on some Yoga channel. More of a spontaneous decision though. Basically anything attached to my own personal interests. I've also watched a few live streams on twitch but it's not a common thing I do or something I regularly seek out. I'm more likely to seek out normal youtube videos.

— do you feel more connected to others by the others power of live-stream?
Hmmm, I guess in a way... in the sense that it offers me yet another setting or context to see the person in and that's always interesting because you see things and learn things about the person that you may have not picked up before since planned videos are often edited a lot. it doesn't have to be live for me to feel connected to another person though. I feel connected through a person's written words as well but that's me and I know not everyone is going to feel that way. What it does make me feel though is generally more grounded and inside my body in a way. I often feel detached from the physical so seeing a person's expressions (even just my own in a mirror) has a positive impact on me. But once again, the time it takes place is mostly irrelevant to me.

— as an INFJ do you feel unable to live-stream because you feel you are a private person?
Probably yes to the privacy issue but then again, I'm here posting my personal thoughts on a public forum so is it really about that or is it more so a lack of interest/confidence in this area? Could it be my thing if those things weren't the case? Probably, but so could a lot of things if that were the case :p The thing that would also hold me back is I'm not sure I could handle being in the lime light in such a....physical way because I'm not sure I would want to deal with the negative sides of it in regards to people. It's almost like it would become more real to me in that sense and it would make me feel more vulnerable since I think it's a vulnerable position to put yourself in. I have fears of public humiliation though. That's me. Ugh, people....can't live with em, can't live without em.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that it's neat in general (not just live streaming) because I like putting the power back into the general public's hands. The only negative side of it is that it's become so saturated, that it can be hard to sort through all of it in order to find quality, I guess. Or really quality people might get ignored. But in general, I think the idea is neat.

No, it's not my thing to do it myself but I say more power to someone who has a passion/interest in that kind of thing.

I randomly decided to watch one in regards to Nutrition/fitness before on some Yoga channel. More of a spontaneous decision though. Basically anything attached to my own personal interests. I've also watched a few live streams on twitch but it's not a common thing I do or something I regularly seek out. I'm more likely to seek out normal youtube videos.

Hmmm, I guess in a way... in the sense that it offers me yet another setting or context to see the person in and that's always interesting because you see things and learn things about the person that you may have not picked up before since planned videos are often edited a lot. it doesn't have to be live for me to feel connected to another person though. I feel connected through a person's written words as well but that's me and I know not everyone is going to feel that way. What it does make me feel though is generally more grounded and inside my body in a way. I often feel detached from the physical so seeing a person's expressions (even just my own in a mirror) has a positive impact on me. But once again, the time it takes place is mostly irrelevant to me.

Probably yes to the privacy issue but then again, I'm here posting my personal thoughts on a public forum so is it really about that or is it more so a lack of interest/confidence in this area? Could it be my thing if those things weren't the case? Probably, but so could a lot of things if that were the case :p The thing that would also hold me back is I'm not sure I could handle being in the lime light in such a....physical way because I'm not sure I would want to deal with the negative sides of it in regards to people. It's almost like it would become more real to me in that sense and it would make me feel more vulnerable since I think it's a vulnerable position to put yourself in. I have fears of public humiliation though. That's me. Ugh, people....can't live with em, can't live without em.
Ooh, interesting views! I have FB friends going live regularly in hopes to connect themselves to potential clients to their holistic type services. It’s very interesting. The idea is to make friends and share their talents with them rather then sell them things.

It does seem like s very vulnerable thing to do. But I think that you’ll attract the right people to you by being vulnerable and authentic :). But I find it’s such an INFJ thing to seek out an escape of some kind, when you’re showing yourself to the world it’s hard to turn around and hide, isn’t it?

And I just wanted to speak to your thoughts about being detached physically from people. I find that as INFJs we really can be so out of touch with our bodies and physically interacting with others. Even if it’s good for us, we’re more comfortable hiding. Interesting thought, that’s definitely true for me as well.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
As far as I can tell, live streaming is a good way to show others what is going on in your environment, help them feel as though they are sharing experience with you, and enable them to give immediate feedback. Within those perimeters, it has its uses. The trouble is, most of the live streams nowadays aren't used for that. They are basically unedited, one take youtube videos (which is not the best use of said tool).

Within the perimeters, I could indeed see an INFJ doing a live stream (maybe to show how many people showed up for an event, or to let friends see a wedding that they would have otherwise missed). For the more common uses of it though, I don't see it happening.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts