Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends and I discussed this today and I wonder if personality types has anything to do whether you prefer to live alone or with other people? Regardless of your current situation now, i wonder what each types preferred living situation will be? I am INFJ and i live alone in my apartment. My friends who live with their partners/friends/housemates or still living at home ask me if i get lonely living alone, and i said NO I LOVE IT. I love it for the space and freedom it provides me, im also very tidy so id hate to live with ppl who are slobs, i love the colour RED, so my living room has red sofa, red cushions,red curtains and a big red rug, in my kitchen i even have red cutlery and i also have red pillow cases, so love the fact i can decorate my apartment the way i want. I also love paintings or canvasses that have something to do with indian culture so i have a painting of the taj mahal and a canvas of an elephant in my lving room. I do NOT do house parties so my neighbours love me cos im quiet and i prefer to keep it that way. I also love the fact that im i can hog the tv all to myself and listen to the type of music i like. Although, i have a boyfriend and we are planning to move in together at the end of the year i do love my own space and no, i dont get lonely or scared cos my neighbours are nice and the area i live in is not bad. I dont think i would want to live with friends to avoid clashing with friends. Im also not comfortable living with strangers so no housemates. I wont live with anyone unless its a family member in need of help temporarily, or a guy i've dated for at least more than a year.

Reactions: The Exception

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
a million times living with people.. living in hostels atm.

before that i was going to college and living with mom- that was hell on earth. i also would have a hard time living alone. good thing i'm a student for the next 6 years too.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I dont mind living with people as long as I get my own room. It sort of sucks sharing a dorm room. I dont mind living alone though, and I can't wait until I have my own apartment. I'm more than likely going to live on my own in the relatively near future (once I'm out of college). Only a couple years to go.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Gotta be living with people. I might die if I had no one to talk to. I could always have people over I suppose but its not the same. Wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would be fine alone, but I would prefer to live with just one person. Particularly one who I can maintain an emotionally and psychologically stable environment with. I would take living alone over living with drama whores any day. The more people you have living under one roof, the more potential for drama and issues.

That is assuming we aren't talking about dorms though. If we're talking about living in a dorm, I'll take my own. Most dorms I've seen are far too small to comfortably house two people, at least if I am one of them.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I'd prefer to live with a few people I'm really close to, but I'd be fine with alot of random people too. Never alone! I'd get too bored and probably start drawing on the walls D: I'd never get my deposit back in a student building!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I don't know if there's a direct correlation to type, but on average I would say a greater percentage of introverts prefer to live alone than the percentage of extroverts that prefer to live alone. The reason would be that when you live alone, it's easier to spend time by yourself to recharge, and when you live with someone else, it's easier to get that interaction with others to recharge.

Of course, this isn't true across the board. Introverts can still get lonely, and an introvert may still prefer to live with someone to have that interaction. And I would imagine some extroverts need more alone time and feel they can get all of their social interaction by inviting people over or going out to do activities with people.

As for me, I totally prefer to live alone. I can't stand living with other people anymore. I like being able to have freedom to get privacy whenever I want it.

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
I'm a strong INxx and I'd much rather live alone, if I had the choice. I enjoy solitude and all of it's mental health benefits. Not to say I don't need my weekly quota of socializing, I just long for alone time. Companionship can be relative and so even being in the presence of people can have the same effect as constant interaction does for some.

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
I want to live alone... unless I'm living with an SO. When I'm home, I just sit in my room anyway.

The only reason I even lived with roommates throughout college was financial. It's twice as much to live alone around here, even in a studio.

I lived in a quad (four-person room) my freshman year of college. It was miserable. I need my own, personal, private space and time.

Reactions: counterintuitive

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Gotta be living with people. I might die if I had no one to talk to. I could always have people over I suppose but its not the same. Wouldn't have it any other way.
You might not think so if you had to live with slobs. Having others over is way easier but you STILL have to do all the cleaning unless one of your guests helps (thanks Hil :)) I like my place to be my personal space now anyway, too many unwanted invasions to want it in any other way. There's always the phone and visitors or going out for me. My abode is MY abode. People with my music taste would be interesting though. SO's were an exception of course but I think I'll try it differently next time. It's nice to have someone there at your beck and call for certain necessities *cough* but otherwise, go home! j/k

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I'm an INFJ and I prefer living with people -- but people I know well and like a lot. I have lived on my own a lot and cannot work so I don't get many opportunities to socialize offline. Maybe if I did spend more time with people it wouldn't bother me so much to live alone.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Even though I like my space and my alone time, I hate to be by myself for long periods of time. When I'm alone for a long time, my thoughts can easily become negative or I can get into a Fi-Si loop.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If I am living alone, I will at least require a medium to large dog. I would also prefer to live with a woman than alone.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I lived alone for 3 months and it was the best 3 months of my life. Living with people sucks and I like my own space, particularly the kitchen.

Now I live with my boyfriend and as great as that is, I sometimes wish we didn't live together. Or I sometimes wish he was a J-type because he's a bit of a slob.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,427 Posts
Alone. I moved in with friends about six months ago because they offered rent much cheaper. It will be worth it in the long run financially, but holy crap is it hard. I have to say my favorite was when I had a single dorm room in college. My friends were mostly within walking distance, and that was really amazingly awesome, but I could shut myself away when I wanted to. My only complaints were the noise and not being able to have pets.

I read these articles from time to time about married couples living in separate houses, and I think it sounds really interesting. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd prefer to live alone. I'm pretty territorial and possessive, so sharing a house with other people is a stress factor to me. Plus, I have this habit of really enjoying bright colors that burn the eyes of other people. If I live alone, I don't have to worry about other people screaming every time they enter a room at odd times of day. They do that if the room is the right shade of yellow.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would prefer to live alone, mostly because I like to live at my own pace.

I'd be fine living with a few people but no more than 2 or 3 before it starts to feel like a house full of strangers :confused:

I think the main problem I'd have with people is that I am quite lazy and forgetful so I don't get round to doing things at the kind of pace that other people expect. I also need a fair amount of privacy and solitude so I wouldn't want to live with anyone who needs to come and talk to their housemates all the time.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts