Personality Cafe banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
818 Posts
I do see myself in a lot of what you posted, though probably in a somewhat more laid-back form. I'm just as likely to be in fun-loving whoopie mode as in intense, attempting to get my way. I can easily fall into intense and competitive, though my "Contending" INTJ SO is more intense than I am, which is nice for a change. Since I haven't chosen leadership roles in my life, I'm frequently needing to make sure I'm not trying to take over individuals and be in charge, since I believe in equality in relationships. It is a struggle for me though, and I always thought it was probably a struggle for everyone not to take charge, which maybe isn't so. I've tended to have NT, or at least T, boyfriends since we mind meld better.

I'm starting to see myself more clearly as an NT since reading Personology, talking to you, and even reading a book last night called Living Your Colors, by Tom Maddron. Even though I'm an extrovert, there's always been part of me that stands back and observes and realizes I'm not run by the same motivations as most others around me. In Living Your Colors, this is what is said about Greens/NT's:

"Greens are prone to disgust and cynicism toward their fellow human beings. They may tend to write people off. They are also very vulnerable to...feeling like an outsider. In addition, they may have strong feelings of superiority toward a world that doesn't understand or respect their intelligence, and this superiority may lead them to snobbishness or to...eccentric behavior."

I have all those issues, and though I know it's wrong on many levels, I still struggle with feeling "superior" because I can stand back and have more clarity about what's going on, as if clarity is the the most or only important characteristic in the world. This rarely extents to the Internet, where I can easily feel inferior for not having as much depth or knowledge as others, just real life.

I'd say more but I'm heading out for a few hours. Thanks again for posting info, which has been very helpful.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I believe MBTI is a good foundation. A good starting point. I don't believe that, with the millions and billions of people in the world, we're all going to fit distinctively into 16 personality types. There may be one type that fits us the best, and that could be described as our 'overall' personality type - but we're human. We change constantly. There's no way that, in an average of 70 years worth of life, we're going to continuously fit into that one type. Change is inevitable. A changing personality is inevitable. Somedays I feel like I fit into the ESFP personality type, other days I feel like I fit into the ISTJ personality type. And then there are some (such as INTJ, ENTJ) that I feel I never fit into, and probably never will.

Based on temperament alone, I do believe I'm an SP. However, I grew up in somewhat of a strict home. I grew up around SJ's, I'm made up (genetically) of SJ's, At times, I am seen as an SJ - which I may very well be, but we may never know because, as stated, I don't believe the entire worlds population can fit into 16 types.

Reactions: Karen

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I do see myself in a lot of what you posted, though probably in a somewhat more laid-back form. I'm just as likely to be in fun-loving whoopie mode as in intense, attempting to get my way. I can easily fall into intense and competitive,
Yeah, you sound just like Jenocyde, from TypoC, who's ENTP and does our meetups.

The fact that Keirsey has basically adopted the Interaction Styles (which were Berens' inventions; he only had the eight intelligence variants beforehand) probably shows that he realized that going by conative temperament descriptions alone was misleading. The ENTP is not going to be as "calm and cool' as the INT's.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Aerorobyn, it might be true that for various reasons, the world's population can't all be typed according to MBTI, including that people sometimes learn early on to manifest a different type and the earlier that happens, the harder it can be to sort out native type. I also grew up surrounded by SJ's, including 2 SJ parents, plus I'm the only P in the family, but my P was so strong I managed to hold onto it. :laughing:

Eric, I guess since there are 4 types of NT's in the Keirsey Rational group -- TiNe, TeNi, NeTi, NiTe -- it's probably difficult to write up a temperament description that covers the 4 types. The book I'm still reading -- Living Your Colors -- does treat the Green/NT temperament as if they're all INT's, as do other books I've read, though I can still see myself in some of the descriptions.

BTW, after occasionally lurking on TypoC, a couple weeks ago I decided to sign up there and start posting. Now I seem to be stuck in no-man's land because I can no longer lurk but instead get this message when I try to access the forum:

----------------------

****, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

----------------------

The name I'm trying to sign up with is "****," as it says in their message, and I've been waiting for activation for probably 2 weeks now. If you or anyone reads this and can PM admin, could you tell them the problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yeah, so that's why he has added interaction roles.

Also, about TypoC, you can ask Jennywocky, here, who is a moderator over there.

·
Banned
818 Posts
I posted the following, within the last month, regarding Keirsey trying to fit his temperaments into Myers-Briggs types.

Keirsey Temperament and Myers Briggs personality type

I was glad to find his new book did away with trying to tie his types to Myers-Briggs.

Thanks, I'll PM that person when I get in the mood, lol. I used to average 70+ PMs a day and received as many in return, but I burned out and nowadays even one PM does me in. :)

Oh, and, ahem, I realized yesterday, after telling off a restaurant manager (and he deserved it, after INTJ and I waited almost a half hour to get waited on, with the manager making multiple promises that never came through), that I do have a touch of Choleric in me. For a long time I've tried to stand up for people's rights if they don't have the nerve, since I can do it easily, almost always with more objectivity and politeness than last night. *sigh* I thought about your posts on Choleric as I left the restaurant. :D

BTW, it's been fun talking to you, and thanks again for your help and everyone else's. I now feel firmly in ENTP, without the wavering with regard to my type.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
1st reaction: Wow, just like phropecies said! I have to find you IRL, or else the world will be destroyed next year!
2nd reaction: Just kidding. Let's count for a while ;-) (I don't always use nose for emoticons).
tl;do read

You know, that those theories can be expanded by another theories/additions? Here, I will post some:

MBTI:
- Another dichotomies: Strenght of SuperEgo, Neurocism. Adding those would give us not 16 personalities, like usual, but 64.
- Underlining the type closest to 50% - This is my personal addition. Every type IMO has got to highlight, which other type are they closest to. For example, I am INTP, so my "secondary type" (however, the F is less than 50%, but it is the greatest from unused ones (E, S, F and J)) is INFP. [hopefully you didn't got confused with double parenthesis, I do it often]. This would give us 64 types too.
EDIT: - Age: Age is really important factor in MBTI theory too. Go to look at the articles section. There have got to be the good article about MBTI, aging and functions activation. I will write here shortend version (not sure if I posted the exact ages, so go check it after reading this.):
0-6 yrs. - all functions
6-12 yrs. - dominant
12-20 yrs. - secondary
20-35 yrs. - tertiary
35-50 yrs. - fourth one
50-death yrs. - I think all? I dunno.
Let's count only phases from 6 yrs. to 50 yrs. There are times, when you use mostly (not only) that particular function. That is reason, why are 35 yrs old ENTP's more serious than in their life before. This will give us 64 individual descriptions. Just reasoning the quotation below.
I believe MBTI is a good foundation. A good starting point. I don't believe that, with the millions and billions of people in the world, we're all going to fit distinctively into 16 personality types. There may be one type that fits us the best, and that could be described as our 'overall' personality type - but we're human. We change constantly. There's no way that, in an average of 70 years worth of life, we're going to continuously fit into that one type. Change is inevitable. A changing personality is inevitable. Somedays I feel like I fit into the ESFP personality type, other days I feel like I fit into the ISTJ personality type. And then there are some (such as INTJ, ENTJ) that I feel I never fit into, and probably never will.

Based on temperament alone, I do believe I'm an SP. However, I grew up in somewhat of a strict home. I grew up around SJ's, I'm made up (genetically) of SJ's, At times, I am seen as an SJ - which I may very well be, but we may never know because, as stated, I don't believe the entire worlds population can fit into 16 types.
(my reaction on this was described above down from EDIT)

Applying both those will give us (assuming that Neurocism and Superego are part of point 2) not only 16 types, but ... 1536 TYPES! That would be crazy to say "Hey, let's meet every single type!"

Enneagram:
- I will start here with basic ones - Wings: Every type have got the wing determined. I have seen even variant, where were accepted the "total middles" (see Silent Number thread on TypoC), which are the opposites of the personalities (example: I am still in space between 5 and 6, and I am opposite of... hmm... 1. Type 1. Or something close to it. Dunno what it could mean... So this will give... 9*4 (counting the totally between too) = 36.
- Tritypes: Yeah, we have got here test for this one, yay! Hope you understand those. If yes, skip to the number. The theory of tritype is explained such like you have 3 personalities, each in one triad. If 1st and dominant won't work, you use second one. If 1st and 2nd don't work, you use 3rd (it is meant for particular situations). This will give completly 162 types (not counting the wings for now)
- Instinctual Variants: You know what it is about. If not, google it. Adding those will give us 54 types.
- Levels: If that wouldn't be enough, there is another thing to assume - levels. Every personality have 9 levels of development. This will give us 81 types (but let's be optimistic: average person has got level lesser than 2, but more than 8, or concretly 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7, so 45).
If we won't count exact types (they practicaly don't exist) and silent numbers (bewteen wings, exactly on half, because those are not officialy accepted I think), this all additions will give us

More down

9720 types! And that is when we count average levels (3-9).
If I had to count all levels, it would give us 17496 types.
And if I would have to assume, that there might be exact types and silent numbers, it would give 34992 types.

If now we would combine those two theories... but I will not. I think it is good proof to say, that you are really unique. Don't you believe?

There are in USA cca 308 millions of people. Now if we count this detail, that you are from USA (hopefully you are), there are... 8802 persons just like you! Counting only Enneagram personalities!
There are almost 7 miliards of people on Earth (15,4 milions left ^_^). 200045 people just like you are here on earth.

This reminds me of that joke. "You are unique, one in a million. So there is 1000 of people just like you in India."

I won't combine the MBTI and Enneagram, and won't add the temperaments (always described perfectly by @Eric-B , thanks mate), because there are no definitive correlations.
One more thing: I know that there are not 34992 descriptions for each one individual type at the Enneagram theory. You have to create it by putting pieces together.

Hope this have helped you to realize, that we are unique enough. I always search for more personality theories to really proove, that everybody is unique. And sorry if I made somewhere mistake in counting.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.