Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning...I'm about to go all out zen for a second.

I've been struggling recently, thinking too much, and have been getting all depressed. From my experiences in the past with bouts of depression, I know that I enjoy life much more when I'm lost in the moment. When I am mindful of that which immediately surrounds me, and I get myself to stop thinking and simply exist, to simply be, I feel free for once. I focus on my senses and they illuminate the beauty that surrounds me constantly, the beauty that I too often overlook.

Recently, my struggles have been with my job, but today I managed to have a decent day at work and I believe that this in the moment, meditative mindful awareness helped me a great deal. I couldn't help but notice beauty today in all of the small details of my job and wondered if anyone could relate to noticing similar small, yet magnificent things in their daily lives. I don't know if anyone has seen Amelie, but what I'm talking about is kind of like the beginning of the movie where they introduce each of the characters and they all have these tiny little things they do and love, simple little pleasures.

What small, simple little things and/or beautiful small details, did you really appreciate and pay attention to today? What small pleasures captured your attention and cleared your mind of your struggles?

Here's a few of mine from today:

The feel of my hammer as it struck well placed nails, precisely sending them home.

The energy of my body as I swiftly climb to the peak of our scaffold.

The fluidity as I move across a plank, balanced, 14ft in the air, like a tightrope walker.

The view and the breeze.

The smoothness of a well executed turn in my car and in our work truck.

The pull of the acceleration as I race to work on time.

The weight of my body, falling into a seat after standing for hours on end.

The slicing of a sharp blade, as I shape materials to my needs.

The exhale of my breath as I lift large pieces of equipment.

The greenness of the grass and trees and their slight swaying to the winds.

The warmth of the suns rays, caressing me softly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh the simple pleasures...today I had an especially good cup of coffee, I watered the garden noticing the healthy new growth and ripening tomatoes, and best of all: the tender kiss from my daughter when I dropped her off at school. The day is still young though!

I was reading recently that there is a difference between being happy in the moment and being generally happy with your life, and that these two things often don't go together. I really relate to this-being happy in the moment while being depressed in general. Regardless, I love to contemplate the little things....

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I found myself today flipping every light switch I could find in school, just to see which ones turn on and off. It felt oddly satisfying.

I also went down a staircase that's supposedly forbidden to students for no particular reason. Ooh, rule breaking.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I was walking down the street barefoot with the sun shining on my face... Song playing:
So go on now and take a bow...

·
Registered
66 Posts
My nightly walk. A time to recover and gather my thoughts. Just me and the stars! (Except tonight, I am currently in rural Southern Oregon and a little bunny rabbit decided to come along with me for about a quarter of my walk, that was the highlight of my week! :D)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Having a sleep in.. started work late today.. so I enjoyed just having free time this morning. Drinking coffee. Relaxing in bed.

Another moment was tonight when it was raining, but you could see the bright sun behind the clouds. And the ground smelled kinda like summer. Made me think about how fun it is to be outdoors when it's summer :p

·
Registered
277 Posts
What a great idea for a thread and personal exercise!

My little pleasures today:

Waking up at 5 a.m and realising I didn't have to be up for another 2 hours, then going back to sleep.

Going to the shop with my mum.

Having a nice cold drink of water right now that I'm so thirsty.

An amazing neck and shoulder massage by my friend in college.

A delicious tuna and sweetcorn sandwhich I had for lunch.

The smell of rose water.

The smell and look of my clean uniform lol (it smells so good!)

Biting the inside of my lip.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few from today...

The powerful shot of a framing nailgun as it pins boards together, such a lovely tool.

Cruising around in the work truck, listening to some tunes while transporting materials.

Walking in my pair of quality work boots, leather, steeltoe, metatarsal guards, union made in USA.

Sewing a button onto my work shirt.

Looking sexy in my uniform. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
The feel of grass beneath bare feet. The smell of the clippings - sweet, enough to bother the allergies, but it reminds you of summer.

The smell and the feel in the air before a thunderstorm.

The way water looks when it's flowing so smoothly it looks like glass.

Drinking warm, herbal tea at the end of a long, study-ridden day. ^_^

·
Registered
456 Posts
When I woke up, I had the best stretch ever. I mean seriously, I bent my back almost like a cat! It felt sooo good.

The look on my partner's face when I surprised her with breakfast in bed. She was all: ..?.?..o_O FOOOD!! :D :D

I'm winding down the day listening to Celtic Woman's 'Someday' Such beautiful voices they have. <3

Reactions: Benja and Thalassa

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Washing my feet with warm water and soap after I came in from walking to the store in my flip flops

Strawberry cream cheese on toasted whole grain bread

Finding lavender oil and putting a few drops on

Looking over at the neighbor's flowers on my walk

I liked the way my new tank top fit me when I tried it on (a friend gave it to me, so it was a pleasant surprise to see how it fit)

·
Registered
806 Posts
-Video games, actually. It gets my adrenaline pumping.
-Riding on a swing, trying to make it go higher.
-Smelling the scents of air freshners. Do you know how good those actually smell?
-Jumping on a trampoline.
-Feeling the wet grass under my feet.
-The juicy canteloupe I ate today. Yum.

·
Registered
116 Posts
the fact that school is almost over, i also found myself in a large empty room witha cello, and i just took it out and started playing it while no one was listening, until my teacher came intot eh room and was totally listening and it got awkward.

·
Registered
456 Posts
@MilkyWay132: I really want a cantaloupe now, lol. I love cantaloupe. <3 @dilletante: Those baby quail...eee so cute.

Walked in the rain with my partner today, came back soaking wet. Most refreshing shower ever though, and it smelled so good out. Currently eating italian smokies..mmm spicy and delish. <3

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's summer. <3______<3

The feeling of soft sand beneath my feet and sun warming my skin. Walking through a new neighborhood. Ice cream. Listening to summer songs. Singing aloud in the school cafeteria like the shameless hippie I am. Hearing someone's laugh for the first time. Finding something I had completely forgotten. Getting a new haircut (I'm a redhead now!). Looking around and seeing blooming flowers and green plants everywhere.

There's nothing better than the beginning of summer. Seriously.

Reactions: Benja
1 - 20 of 44 Posts