Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I always like to think about the future, not planning, but rather wondering about what might happen later, what would be good or bad ideas, possible scenarios... but my gf doesn't like this. She wants to live the present moment and don't want think about what is going to happen latter even if it is just for fun.

I also like to talk a lot about the past like anecdotes from when i was younger or of my past job. Every time we walk in front of my old school i like to tell her that it was the school i was in and some anecdotes about this period of my life. She don't seem to understand this nostalgia and tell me that the past is over and i should live more in the present.

Also when something happen i tend to relate/compare the scenario to a past scenario or to something that might happen later.

She end up always complaining about me not living in the present and wondering too much (according to her) about the past and future.

What do you think that means about our cognitive functions?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
You likely prefer Ne-Si, or Si-Ne, and she likely prefers Se-Ni, or Ni-Se.

Ne is typically the futuristic, forwards facing function, and Si is stereotypically the one that has a focus on the past, there is a clear connection here - these functions could be seen as a push-pull representive of past-future.

Se is typically the function that is concerned with the present moment, and Ni is focused on neither the past, present nor future - it is generally removed from time altogether, there is a clear connection here as well, where Se could be represented as reality and Ni represented as fantasy - an obvious push-pull between what is real, and what isn't.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Focus away from the present = N, I mainly
Focus on the present = S, E mainly

The idea that ESxJs are more "past and future oriented" than INxJs is laughable, as are conclusions made using function axes in general.

Since this is in the cognitive function forum, you are probably an introvert who uses Intuition strongly.

Reactions: NeonMidget

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Elaborate.
INxJs are extremely introspective and ponder the past as well as the future, while ESxJs are busy doing things in the present.

Sensing is about what is, putting little faith in extrapolations, and Intuition is relatively more focused on extrapolating what can be, based on connecting things and trusting in their extrapolations (including those based in the past). Thinking about the future usually involves considerable extrapolations.

Extraverts are also more focused on the "object" (external) than the "subject" (internal), and that results in a present focus because it's internally rather than externally where the past lives on, and visions of the future exist.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
INxJs are extremely introspective and ponder the past as well as the future, while ESxJs are busy doing things in the present.

Sensing is about what is, putting little faith in extrapolations, and Intuition is relatively more focused on extrapolating what can be, based on connecting things and trusting in their extrapolations (including those based in the past). Thinking about the future usually involves considerable extrapolations.

Extraverts are also more focused on the "object" (external) than the "subject" (internal), and that results in a present focus because it's internally rather than externally where the past lives on, and visions of the future exist.
Does this match your reality?
It certainly doesn't match mine.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Does this match your reality?
It certainly doesn't match mine.
Yes it does. I notice a lot of conflicts go something like: INxJ gets frustrated with SJ not looking at the full long-term impact of decisions, while SJ gets frustrated at INxJ for trusting in extrapolations which seem too unreliable, and not focusing as much on the obvious present.

Reactions: Judson Joist

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Yes it does. I notice a lot of conflicts go something like: INxJ gets frustrated with SJ not looking at the full long-term impact of decisions, while SJ gets frustrated at INxJ for trusting in extrapolations which seem too unreliable, and not focusing as much on the obvious present.
Is this real, or hypothetical?
It sounds hypothetical.

I know a lot of ESxJs and they're all very much concerned with the past, and the future.
In fact, it's practically what consumes their lives, they work hard and do what they need to do in order to secure a brighter future for themselves and their children.. in fact it's difficult to imagine any of them focusing on the present, more than the past and future.

I'm an INxJ, my thoughts feel completely detached from time and reality - they're something separate - my own world, I'm not concerned with the past, the future nor the present moment.

My wife told me her mind chatter is along the lines of.. lists, things we need to do, what we are going to do in the week, things for shopping, things I need to do etc etc it's all very real and future focused, she's an ESFJ.

My mind chatter is a basically a narration of mental movies that play out, I'll be imagining monsters that I've never seen morph into various figures, explode into a ball of light and shoot off for the stars, I'll see someone walking up the road (in my head) with an umbrella on a sunny day and think to myself he must have eczema or some kind of dermatitis otherwise why the umbrella, I don't feel like he's worried about cancer for some reason.. I see massive lips in the night sky spew out musical notes and when I fly up to them realise they're made of bloody swords and something overwhelms my body, almost a sense of fear - this manifest in real life as me basically looking shocked.

My mental world is removed from a focus on the past, present and future, rather it's a vivid world all of its own - I dissect this imagery sometimes in real time to unearth what it means.

None of this is inspired by my surroundings, I entertain myself without external stimuli.

Thoughts completely removed from any particular time, it's a far cry from my ESFJ wife's focus on the future, that's for sure.

I don't think Ne-Si as future-past and Se-Ni as reality-fantasy is far off the truth, at all.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
@Turi I already answered your question - no need to rephrase the same question. Either way I don't pay much attention to anecdotes (both mine and yours) if there is better stuff out there.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
@Turi I already answered your question - no need to rephrase the same question. Either way I don't pay much attention to anecdotes (both mine and yours) if there is better stuff out there.
Maybe.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You likely prefer Ne-Si, or Si-Ne, and she likely prefers Se-Ni, or Ni-Se.

Ne is typically the futuristic, forwards facing function, and Si is stereotypically the one that has a focus on the past, there is a clear connection here - these functions could be seen as a push-pull representive of past-future.

Se is typically the function that is concerned with the present moment, and Ni is focused on neither the past, present nor future - it is generally removed from time altogether, there is a clear connection here as well, where Se could be represented as reality and Ni represented as fantasy - an obvious push-pull between what is real, and what isn't.
Thanks for the answer, i was asking because when i presented MBTI to her she suggested that i was a Judging type and her a Perciving one and that it was the reason according to her. In my case i was thinking the same as you, about the Ne/Si, Ni/Se differences. I'am glad that i can discard INXJ possibilities and it leave me only with INTP vs INFP for me and i'am quite confident for her to be whether an ISFP or INFJ.

According to this do you agree that it is accurate to describe Ne/Si as "time travelers" and Ni/Se as "reality switchers"?

·
Registered
374 Posts

Depends on who's in the room.
If we're talking about judging functions, extroverted judging functions will focus on what to do with what IS as what IS requires immediate attention. But sensing, really, isn't always about what IS. Se is a whole different monster from Si. Si could focus on the past and some ambiguous aspects of the future any day. Some Si users may actually meet frustration when wanting to reflect/indulge in the past while Se's may focus on the present much more.
Of course, compared to intuitives, there may be a different story. An ESTJ will appear to give more importance to the present compared to ENTP, because the gathering of information about the past is not very developed and the speculations about the future is only to predict possible problems that may get in the way of Te. But put an ESXP in the room with an ESTJ and the ESTJ may be appear much more intuitive and thoughtful (I have seen this with my own eyes many times). It is, in fact, SJ's as a vast majority that urge the world to reconsider the consequences of their actions as to how they may affect the future, and they also admonish everyone to have pride over their pasts and remember where they come from. It appears to me that SJ's do give a lot of importance to their pasts and futures, the difference being that they feel the urge to take responsibility about how they affect the timeline, while intuitives just like to think about it. Se's don't really think about it much until waaaay later (I have also seen this with my own eyes)

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Ni is focused on neither the past, present nor future - it is generally removed from time altogether, there is a clear connection here as well, where Se could be represented as reality and Ni represented as fantasy - an obvious push-pull between what is real, and what isn't.
That explains why everyone thinks I'm a "ditzy space case."
:confused:

Reactions: Krayfish and Turi
1 - 13 of 13 Posts