Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I'm feeling so bored it hurts.
I'm not exaggerating. The boredom is starting to feel physically painful to me.

Since this COVID shit started, I've been locked up at home for most of the time. My routine has definitely changed and it won't be going back to normal any time soon (especially when it comes to college).

I ask people who are in similar situations what they have been doing, and I always get the same kind of answer: "I've been focusing on stuff like drawing or cleaning up my room", "I have been trying to learn a new language", "I have been reading".

Guys, I love doing these things - I genuinely like them. I self-identify as an introvert and I'm actually quiet for most of the time. But I feel despair when I think things like these will have to fill almost 100% of my daily time from now on, for months and months. I miss a little bit of social interaction. Actually, I don't know what it is that I miss so much (being honest with myself, I haven't been seeking social interaction). Maybe I miss having the FREEDOM to go wherever TF I want. I miss not "having to" stay at home. I miss how things were before this shit came along destroying everything.

I know I shouldn't do this, but during the last days or so I have been taking anti-anxiety pills to relieve my boredom (when I'm sedated, I don't feel as agitated and bored). I have been sleeping more than I naturally do, because in my mind sleeping more = less time awake feeling bored. I have been posting compulsively on forums (like this one) where everything is calm, quiet and people are too slow to reply.

In short, I don't know what to do. I don't even know what is making me so agitated, bored and dissatisfied with my leisure time options. Maybe this is an exaggeration but I genuinely feel like COVID-19 is one of the worst things that happened to my life.

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
1,071 Posts
Also go call a friend. Someone in real life. That's real interaction.

Or you can pick up an incredibly time consuming new hobby. (Like forum mafia)

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Guys, I'm feeling so bored it hurts.
I'm not exaggerating. The boredom is starting to feel physically painful to me.

Since this COVID shit started, I've been locked up at home for most of the time. My routine has definitely changed and it won't be going back to normal any time soon (especially when it comes to college).

I ask people who are in similar situations what they have been doing, and I always get the same kind of answer: "I've been focusing on stuff like drawing or cleaning up my room", "I have been trying to learn a new language", "I have been reading".
Same here. I’m also at college and doing my final semester, and everything has gone online. It’s so hard to keep motivated, I’m not even in the same country as my college rn, although I don’t really feel compelled to go back because I didn’t like my situation there

It’s them not you. I’m also sick to death of hearing people settling for the experience of average mediocre activities, like sitting watching the sunset is apparently a “must have” experience.

I don’t know how about doing something more productive or original, like starting a business? Instead of just sitting watching a damn sunset like every other person

Guys, I love doing these things - I genuinely like them. I self-identify as an introvert and I'm actually quiet for most of the time. But I feel despair when I think things like these will have to fill almost 100% of my daily time from now on, for months and months. I miss a little bit of social interaction. Actually, I don't know what it is that I miss so much (being honest with myself, I haven't been seeking social interaction). Maybe I miss having the FREEDOM to go wherever TF I want. I miss not "having to" stay at home. I miss how things were before this shit came along destroying everything.

I know I shouldn't do this, but during the last days or so I have been taking anti-anxiety pills to relieve my boredom (when I'm sedated, I don't feel as agitated and bored). I have been sleeping more than I naturally do, because in my mind sleeping more = less time awake feeling bored. I have been posting compulsively on forums (like this one) where everything is calm, quiet and people are too slow to reply.

In short, I don't know what to do. I don't even know what is making me so agitated, bored and dissatisfied with my leisure time options. Maybe this is an exaggeration but I genuinely feel like COVID-19 is one of the worst things that happened to my life.
This COVID-19 stuff will become less serious and we will be able to start regular social interactions again.

I both take meds (apparently because I have to) and sleep a lot too, it shouldn’t affect the other things on your schedule. Brainstorm and add more to your daily to do list.

Keep a list of short term and long term goals too . Slowly you will move closer to your long term goals over time .

Simply asking a question of what you would tell to a friend in your position, could help with anxiety/depression too

·
Registered
INTP
4,235 Posts
I don't have it, but someone close to me had it.

If you haven't done so already, you could spend some of your time learning how to manage or enjoy your ADHD. The following YouTube channels are produced by ADHD people who are also media professionals. So they aren't boring:

How to ADHD
Totally ADD

ADDitude magazine has lots of free articles and online discussions. I signed up for the mailing list, and every day they send me stuff about coping with Covid challenges.

·
Registered
INFJ
5,863 Posts
I have ADHD, and I've been stuck at home way more than I'm used to, and haven't been working since the Covid-19 thing has started, and it's really difficult sometimes for me to engage in external realities.
What's helped me is to have a strong sense of routine, in any way possible.
I actually miss going to work even though I just had a dinky retail job, so I'd get my fiance to assign me things to do for his website or for various games, I've worked on making a schedule and trying to stick to it as best as possible.
I've also been making an effort to associate with friends via Zoom. It's helped me feel less alone and isolated.
I've also been doing a LOT of writing, and some drawing, painting, graphic art, but I decided to revolve all my work around one big project so that it feels focused towards a goal.
I also take a walk nearly every day to ensure that I get regular exercise. Exercise is ESSENTIAL for healthy ADHD.
The last thing is striving to get a regular sleep schedule because it can feel like the days are running into each other; sleep helps.

Reactions: Aiwass

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the kind replies. I feel they are very helpful and insightful.

@dulcinea Yes, I think you are particularly right about the exercise thing. I've started to take walks during the last two/three days too and I already feel a HUGE difference (and I'm sleeping better, feeling more tired at night after these walks). Exercise is really essential as an outlet to release that adrenaline in our bloodstream.

I'm happy you've been able to keep your routine healthy during this mess of a situation =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts