Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking.... is it a trend that more extraverts live in cities while more introverts live in small-towns? I know that more factors come into play than just your type as to where you live, but I would just naturally think extraverts would be more likely to move to the city for the extra external stimuli, while introverts would be more likely to live in a small town where it is more personable and you know everybody, so you are more comfortable.

It's obvious that both live in both areas, but I just wonder if the % are higher. Thoughts?

Reactions: penchant

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
That makes sense, but there are also other things you have to consider, such as attachment to your hometown/state/country/whatever, occupation, closeness to friends and family, etc.

·
Registered
878 Posts
introverts would be more likely to live in a small town where it is more personable and you know everybody, so you are more comfortable.
I choose to live in a city rather than a small town precisely because the smaller the place the more you are known and the less anonymous you can be. A larger environment gives me an easier time interacting or not interacting than a smaller one where you have to interact more because everyone knows you. As an introvert the idea of knowing and having to talk to everyone in the place I live gives me shudders.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm an extrovert and I'd pick rural any day.

I'm not the kind of extrovert that needs to be around people 24/7 like in a big city. There's too much ruckus, too many superficial people, I'm just not a fan. On the other hand, I would loath a small town for the exact reason sts mentioned. I also don't want a bunch of people up in my personal business.

I'll take a nice pretty farmhouse somewhere in the middle of nowhere, 7 miles away from my closest neighbor and within an hour of a medium sized city. So when I want to be left alone, I am, and when I want to be around people, its not more than a short drive away.

If I had to choose between either a small town or big city, I would go big city though. Mainly because small towns are too personal, not because of my socialization preferences.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I grew up in the country on a thirty acre farm. Pretty much perfect for me as a child but my closest friend by proximity was a mile down the road and my best friend was more than 6 miles away. I lived the Calvin and Hobbes lifestyle (my favorite comic) except I wasn't allowed to have a cat. (But I have Hobbes now - in my profile pic)

I've come to really enjoy the conveniences of city life but I've found my piece of country right in the middle of it. I live on what would be considered the hippie district. Lots of trees and foliage. City parks, a river, a paved bike path and off road trails through the woods. My neighborhood is organic. I have a garden, a composter and I recycle.

I think the biggest reason I still live here is because I'm reasonably close to my family. Also, I went to college here and it still feels like home. I do have an irresistible urge to move to my dream city Vancouver (Canada)!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: thegirlcandance

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Couldn't it be just the opposite, as seems as sts06 seems to point out?

If so, extraverts would be drawn to the smaller context because of the better possibility to get to know the people around you, whereas introverts would be more comfortable with being more anonymous.

Also I wonder if not extraverts could find just as many stimuli in the countryside as in the city, just in a different form, so it might depend on your interests? Intraverts could possible also thrive in the city because of the better possibility to be in control of your life.

But we are probably building on very vague stereotypes... That said, I do like your question! :happy:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm an extrovert and I love the small town atomosphere. My husband is an introvert who prefers cities. We live in a quiet suburb that has access to a lot of conveniences and a city so it's the best of both worlds and a good compromise.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I'm an extrovert and definitely a city gal.

I like to be around people the majority of my time. My problem is that I get bored with the same people when I'm with them for too long, so a bigger city would allow me to meet more people, as opposed to a rural area. I always like to have something to do, too. In a city, you get that - clubs, bars, more selections of restaurants, theme parks, etc. - and I think they stay open longer. You don't really get that big of a selection in rural areas. I barely last one night in the countryside.

Reactions: thegirlcandance

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couldn't it be just the opposite, as seems as sts06 seems to point out?

If so, extraverts would be drawn to the smaller context because of the better possibility to get to know the people around you, whereas introverts would be more comfortable with being more anonymous.

Also I wonder if not extraverts could find just as many stimuli in the countryside as in the city, just in a different form, so it might depend on your interests? Intraverts could possible also thrive in the city because of the better possibility to be in control of your life.

But we are probably building on very vague stereotypes... That said, I do like your question! :happy:
Well I guess the findings just explains what each preference likes about each way of living...

Extraverts would like the city because there is more external stimuli and things to do.
Extraverts would like the rural area because they get the chance to know everybody.

Introverts would like the city because they do not have to worry about people "getting in their business" and can easily be anonymous.
Introverts would like the rural area because of the seclusion where you can live in an area with no neighbors.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well I guess the findings just explains what each preference likes about each way of living...

Extraverts would like the city because there is more external stimuli and things to do.
Extraverts would like the rural area because they get the chance to know everybody.

Introverts would like the city because they do not have to worry about people "getting in their business" and can easily be anonymous.
Introverts would like the rural area because of the seclusion where you can live in an area with no neighbors.
Makes sense...

But couldn't it also be true that extraverts like the rural area because there are more things to do (that they like doing, given particular interests) and that extraverts like the city because of the chance to get to know more people. And for introverts, didn't you just put the same reason for liking both city and country?

Sorry for messing with your model... I'm just trying to improve it... somehow... if I knew how... well, it's well-meaning, anyway. :happy:

·
Registered
94 Posts
well i live on the jersey shore, lived in seaside for years and now long beach island. ive had my fill. have been apartment hunting in manhattan the past few weeks. theres sooo much to do in the city and endless amounts of people to meet. living in a beach town is NOT its all cracked up to be. booorrriinnnggg.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm not sure location really has too much to do with introversion/extroversion preferences. I mean, there might be a bit of a correlation, but it probably has more to do with the individual.

The big cities are filled with nightlife, bonfires, clubs, shopping, concerts and the like. But not all extroverts are into that sort of stuff. I'm not. A big city has nothing to interest me really. I'd rather go bowling with a group of friends if I'm going to go out. Or have a party at my house. Or go camping. Since those are my preferences, it doesn't really matter as long as the city I'm in has my friends, and a bowling alley, and I can get out of it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Makes sense...

But couldn't it also be true that extraverts like the rural area because there are more things to do (that they like doing, given particular interests) and that extraverts like the city because of the chance to get to know more people. And for introverts, didn't you just put the same reason for liking both city and country?

Sorry for messing with your model... I'm just trying to improve it... somehow... if I knew how... well, it's well-meaning, anyway. :happy:
Well I forgot to add to the introverts liking rural area because they can enjoy nature.... do things like read in a quiet area without disturbance... have a garden in a quiet secluded area.... etc.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well I forgot to add to the introverts liking rural area because they can enjoy nature.... do things like read in a quiet area without disturbance... have a garden in a quiet secluded area.... etc.
Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I prefer the country... To bad I would need to change jobs to be able to move...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Penchant - you just need to find your little slice of eden within your city like I have!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Penchant - you just need to find your little slice of eden within your city like I have!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! Well, I do like it here too. It's probably as good as it gets, and I'm actually living more in the suburbs than in a city. But nothing compares to true wilderness, and you don't get that without huge space requirements.... :happy:

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Location and type. You'd think all vikings were ENT but you'd be wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts