Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this article that suggested that women, and people who believe in astrology, are more likely to have an "external locus of control" - that is, they are more inclined to believe that things happen to them rather than they make things happen, compared to men and astrology skeptics. About 28% of American women believe in astrology versus 23% of American men, so at least in one culture there is a gender gap when it comes to belief in astrology.

This could be because of the power dynamic between men and women - arguably since men have more power it's more reasonable for them to believe they're more in control of their destiny than it is for women, and this could explain why women are more likely to believe in astrology and the supernatural in general. I've heard that LGBT people as a group are also more inclined to believe in astrology.

Women are slightly more likely than men to be a 'J' type as opposed to a 'P' type. The key difference between Js and Ps is that Js feel more of a need to make order of their external environment compared to Ps, who are more "go with the flow" when it comes to organization.

I think this is because Js have a more externalized locus of control. They tend to be less confident than Ps in their ability to change their environment and circumstances, so they develop their extraverted judging functions (Fe and Te) more. I think this is also why they are more attracted to tradition, religion, and authority than Ps. They see the world as a more threatening place and have a lot of admiration for people who keep things orderly.

Ps, I think have a more internalized locus. They don't feel like they need to do as much to change and adapt to their environment, because they perceive themselves as being more powerful, so they're a bit more "lazy" about structuring their life. They also tend to be less receptive towards authority because they view authority as threatening their freedom, rather than increasing their security and safety. Religion and tradition are less appealing to Ps I think for the same reason - Ps are more likely to view them as threats to their autonomy rather than as comforting.

For the record, I'm an ENFP and I'm religious, and I become more conservative the older I get (I'm 29), but I was liberal and agnostic/atheist most of my life.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I think some of your conclusions are a bit premature. There are many other possible reasons for the things you're seeing here.

For example: women tend to talk more about things that interest them than men (which is mostly a cultural thing, but there's some genetic factors in that too), which means that interests spread easier among women than among men. This means that if one person in a group is interested in astrology, the group as a whole is more likely to develop an interst in it.

I can imagine that more women type as J than P, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they actually are this type. I think mistypes happen a lot, especially when it comes to J vs P. I think a lot of women take on behavioural patterns that fit with J, because they feel like they need to care for their family and stuff like that. (of course this doesn't apply to all, but I'm talking about broad statistics here).

There might actually be a correlation between J and P and locus of control, but I've also found that locus of control isn't something you're born with. I've spent my childhood with an external locus of control and learned to internalize it. So you could maybe find correlations, but it's never going to be a great help in typing people I think.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I've noticed SJ's for one tend to both have and pitch an "internal locus of control", even when it's clear they, and the people they suggest this to, don't have any power over a situation or system.
I've never been able to put together a full correlation with type, but I know (for me), being an N, with its "big picture thinking", is what tends to look externally. So it could be an S/N difference, but I'm not sure how SP's and NF's fare with this (as I don't know many).

It might be a "cooperative/pragmatic" thing (for the SJ's at least), where they're willing to 'cooperate' with the "concrete" systems of the world, and take as a coping method, that "doing what you have to do" is bearing "control" in it. Like if you're in an oppressive situation (rough job, family, government, etc), then do what you are told, and then you'll avoid even more negative consequences. They seem to think of that as a kind of "power", and someone like me would complain, because I'm looking at a bigger picture, and the control is still external.

It could be J/P, but in reverse, with the J's taking the internal locus, due to their Je perspective of external order (we control the environment, rather than the environment controlling us).

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,414 Posts
Locus of control has nothing to do with this. It's about the belief that one is 100% responsible in dealing with and adapting to whatever life throws at them vs. being at the mercy of life's circumstances.

It may superficially look like J vs. P, but it's actually about inner strength. Co-dependent people for instance will (should) score very low because they have this entrenched notion that it's OTHER people who should make them happy. And co-dependent people come in every single type.

Healthy Js may score high because they know how to plan and implement when the going gets rough, while healthy Ps are quick and adaptable in looking for optimal solutions.

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
Well I am a bit mixed on that
Just thinking yes I am P
But I am also enneagram 6

And also I noticed a dramatic shift in after I became a mother. I.e. while I used to cliff dive or run around car naked playing the stop sign game I started to think about potential consequences to poor choices, with age and motherhood.

Also I should say there was some ways where I was WAY more paranoid than my ENFP ex hubs when it came to kids and safety. We were opposites about stuff we cared about. So for him he felt the kids should be isolated and in a small wholesome school. In those kinds of ways I preferred for my kids to be exposed and have at least some very basic level street smarts from a more balanced and dynamic school district with variety. While things my stomach turns over or I could totally panic about is him being a tree climber putting my child in the fucken bucket of a boom truck. Or him and his friends drinking alcohol and shooting explosives and guns while also allowing kids to handle and operate the explosives and guns. (Uh no I am not uptight about gun control, or people shooting at target practice). I obviously just am not so chill I want my babies around drunk morons shooting guns and explosives off (I was called uptight for my freak attack on that). I think because he has zero sense of Se or Ni he is not even healthily weary of potential injury or harm that people can have (well actually he has totally proven that), now me in reverse obviously I have low as fuck Fi so his principles on wholesome stuff is totally low registering to me as far as how he would shield our children. I.e. He supports high censorship for teens. I don’t. He would totally have our kids on a commune wearing skirts working with the Amish (ok that was extreme :laughing: ) me is like dude they’re going to see it eventually let’s not raise those kids who are morons going into freshman year of college. It’s not like I am handing my kids a crack pipe, by letting them watch the walking dead. Tehe so I just explained two ways that Ps can be paranoid about their environment in even contrasting ways

I do say this because I just think it’s fair to mention.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
23-28% isn't statistically significant. Also I think women are more likely to be J than P because they are forced to have an INTERNAL locus of control versus an external one. Js are usually Type A stress-fiends who thrive on workaholism because someone made them feel personally responsible as a twelve year old for their parent's alcoholism. Girls usually fall prey to this "over-responsible" role. Js do NOT believe in External Locus of Control, despite that it's clearly obvious to us that Js are more likely to be system-dependent tools. They think it's all motivation and misery. Keeping up with the Joneses.

Sure, Ps are more internal in real life, but we're also more convinced that things just happen to us. We aren't exactly the ones breaking our necks to uphold The System.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts