Personality Cafe banner

Logic Is Manipulation

[INTP] 
4K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  water 
I was working on a little theory on why differing personality types exist and what it is that we are when we remove all cognitive preferences, i.e. the self without the personality. (I've also incorporated a few things from the philosophy of mind)

What I think is that what we really are is something we can never be aware of. Our true self is hidden from consciousness. It lies in the unconscious part of the mind. Think of it this way. When you "think" you are never in a position to choose what thought you will think next, you simple become aware of your current thoughts. All other functions seem to me to work the same way. The thought emerges from the unconscious and into the contents of the consciousness.

The main idea I want to get across is that "true knowledge" is usually NOT available to consciousness in explicit form. Instead it lies in the unconscious, and a personality type is simply the manner in which the contents of the unconscious become available to consciousness. In that sense, using F has just as much validity in revealing this knowledge as using T. :mellow:
I'm inclined to agree with you. I also believe that dreams tap into our conscious wold, thus offering us a glimpse of our true self :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.