Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your partner gets into a fight with someone because of what (in your mind) is a minor issue, do you unconditionally support your partner in the fight or do you sometimes fall for the temptation to explain what you think is the logic in the situation?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I wouldn't consider it disloyal to let my partner know that I disagree with them. Actually I would consider it dishonest to just go along with them without voicing my opinion on the matter, and if they still felt very strongly about it afterward, and it doesn't go against my personal values then I would support them, certainly.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
I'd consider it disloyal if my partner doesn't fight on my side in any given scenario. He can voice his disagreements later.

But if my partner has a habit of getting into unnecessary fights, I'd consider my choice in that partner to be a wrong one.

Reactions: Modal Soul

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I would explain it logically, but with tact - something a supportive partner should always keep in case it is needed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If your partner gets into a fight with someone because of what (in your mind) is a minor issue, do you unconditionally support your partner in the fight or do you sometimes fall for the temptation to explain what you think is the logic in the situation?
I have a habit of helping out whoever is losing dreadfully. :mellow:

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Unconditionally support them, but tell them they are wrong in your opinion.
Make it clear you intend to support them but point out why you disagree.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't consider it disloyal to say that I disagree. I could never agree with everything that the other party does, it's like not having my own opinion, and if I could, I'd at least tell him what I think. In fact if I were in some sort of fight I would appreciate it if my partner would tell me his opinion even if he might think I'd disagree with it. Just as long as it is said properly, not as if trying to say that only he is right and I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I am an expert of seeing the "Other viewpoint". And so I try to explain how the other person look at this. Almost never popular....:)

Reactions: dagnytaggart

·
Registered
722 Posts
I wouldn't consider it disloyal to let my partner know that I disagree with them. Actually I would consider it dishonest to just go along with them without voicing my opinion on the matter, and if they still felt very strongly about it afterward, and it doesn't go against my personal values then I would support them, certainly.
Completely agree.

If you didn't at least offer their partner an alternative perspective that might allow their partner to improve upon their own perceptions then your not really being loyal to them.

I don't like when I see people that just go along with someone elses train of though because their in a relationship. Then you both just look stupid if your wrong.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But if my partner has a habit of getting into unnecessary fights, I'd consider my choice in that partner to be a wrong one.
Thanks for all the good comments. But the above one would have to be my conclusion too.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Completely agree.

If you didn't at least offer their partner an alternative perspective that might allow their partner to improve upon their own perceptions then your not really being loyal to them.

I don't like when I see people that just go along with someone elses train of though because their in a relationship. Then you both just look stupid if your wrong.
Wrong or right is largely irrelevant.
As some point you will want your partner to support you in something they do not understand or agree with.
People will not always see eye to eye, but where does your loyalty lie?
To some stranger who doesn't give a rats ass about you or someone who will stand at your side good bad or indifferent?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wrong or right is largely irrelevant.
As some point you will want your partner to support you in something they do not understand or agree with.
People will not always see eye to eye, but where does your loyalty lie?
To some stranger who doesn't give a rats ass about you or someone who will stand at your side good bad or indifferent?
I think it's still relevant. But at some point, maybe, if it's no big deal.
For me I still try to look at things from both point of views.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've had those moments where my date is getting heated about something and I find a slip in her logic. Being who I am, I always try to state the facts in a debate and in doing so, she gives me the stare that says "Shut the fuck up or I'll fucking murder you!" Of course I believe what they're arguing about is unimportant and I think twice if I really want to piss her off and ruin the night over something stupid. When it get's to that then I'll let her fight on but exclude myself out of it.

However, when it's not something small, when it's something that touches my core values, I could give a rat's ass about who's side I should take and I make it very well known it's not a subject someone should tread carelessly.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Correct is correct, wrong is wrong. It doesn't matter who the truth favors.

I've lost friends for this attitude, but it makes no sense to NOT be objective.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would support my partner in the heat of the moment, as always, but i would tell her in privacy my true thoughts.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Correct is correct, wrong is wrong. It doesn't matter who the truth favors.

I've lost friends for this attitude, but it makes no sense to NOT be objective.
I can take it once, twice and even a third time+++. But if a partner does not seem to have ANY insight this becomes stupidity in my eyes and I cant stand it when people have a characters of always being the victim. I rather have someone who throws some shit back at their insulters and can laugh about it later. Drama and hysteria is just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would support my partner in the heat of the moment, as always, but i would tell her in privacy my true thoughts.
I would like to see her reactions after you supported her and then tell her she maybe was wrong. I know the reaction I would get if I played such a tactic. Then it would be better to say nothing, at least in my case. :happy:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It would depend on the situation and the argument. If I can defend my partner's position logically and he's failing to do so himself, I will support him whether I disagree or not. If he's being a downright idiot and isn't making any sense and even *I* can't make logical sense out of it, he's on his own. If he's handling it on his own just fine, then I'd probably do what I normally do and just pick arguments on both sides and point out flaws in everybody's arguments.

If this is a personal fight over a "he said she said" situation, that would be a different story. I'd probably defend my partner if it was minor and stupid, but there would be some situations in which I just couldn't.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I will not lie for anyone, not even for myself. If I don't agree with what my partner says, I will not consent just to protect peace and reputations. If I don't want to hurt my partner, I would just keep quiet until I can talk with them in private. But they should never expect them me to side with them just because they are my partner. But... I'm more diplomatic than it sounds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts