Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think we can excel at both?

It's common for ENTPs to have real high IQ but what about EQ?

So is
IQ + EQ = constant
OR IQ + EQ =/= constant

?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i happen to think that i uphold an above average intellegence, but my emotional intellegence far exceeds that. not only can i control my own but i can detect changes in others as well. im not sure if the two intellegences are coralating, but i doubt its unusual to hold high levels of both at the same time.

i could be wrong. this is just speculation.

Reactions: emptyX

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think us ENTPs have good emotional intelligence in knowing how to relate to people (think salesman type relating, being witty, charismatic etc), but when it comes to truly understanding how we feel internally and how others may feel, then I think we can be pretty crap at that until we decide to work on it later on in life.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The people that I know with the highest genius-level IQs (145+) tend to have lower EQs than their peers. I also know people with above average IQ (125+) and very high EQ (they all seem to be ENFPs or INFJs), but I haven't met one with an IQ as high as the first group.

I would extend the model to IQ + EQ = f(class, education, ...).

As in, it's constant for people with similar backgrounds, but there seems to be a gradient with nurture. Most people I know from upper-middle class families who went to certain schools all have a higher IQ than the general population, so they are all above average, but then within that group I'd argue that there are those with higher IQ and those with higher EQ and they tend to be different.

NOTE: This is just based on observation of the people I've met. Has anyone else observed a similar or different trend?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You do know that emotional intelligence is all about your control over your emotions right? Not being nice and accepting to everyone's less controlled emotions does in no way diminish your EQ. For this reason exactly, I have reason to believe that most ENTPs have great EQ and have a good self awareness, social awareness and relationship management but maybe lacking a little more in the self management category.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have an exceptional "IQ" and my emotional intelligence is acceptable when it comes to external emotions. I know when people are sad, or happy, or upset, or angry, or hiding a feeling from me.

Do I care about it all that much? Not really. People get upset when you don't hold their hands and validate their irrational emotional outbursts. Is emotional intelligence pandering to these people? If it is, then I'll gladly take "retarded" in it because fuck that. It's not my job to make you feel better. It's your job to make you feel better.

I'll empathize if I want.

Now, if we're talking about internal emotional intelligence, then I might wish I was a little ahead of the curve. But even then, the description matters heavily. Is it knowing how you feel? Or is it knowing WHY you are feeling the way you feel? Or is it knowing how the precipitating events triggered and emotional response that caused you how to feel how you feel?

On second thought, in all honesty, "emotional IQ" really sounds like a crock of shit. IQ is the scale of the rate at which people learn right? So a high emotional IQ indicates someone that would quickly pick up emotional knowledge as opposed to someone of lesser emotional IQ. In that light, psychopaths are very likely to have an EXCEPTIONALLY high emotional IQ, because they are masters of that sort of shit. But I think if you asked people if that was the case, everyone would say "Hell no. They're emotional IQ dunces."

·
Registered
229 Posts
You can divide emotional intelligence into several factors. There is emotional empathy, for example and cognitive empathy. Emotional empathy is to feel what your opponent is feeling, that can create strong emotional bonds and influence your own emotions. Cognitive empathy is knowing how your opponent is feeling and why. It's like reading his thouhgts. What we ENTPs have is a lot of cognitive empathy. We can read someone like a book but for myself I dont feel really connected very often. My reactions are not emotional, I am the master of my reactions and can adapt them to my opponent. That lets ENTPs appear like sensitive persons but also can let them appear cold. So I think ENTPs have a high emotional intelligence but only for the cognitive empathy and knowledge of human nature.

·
Registered
636 Posts
In one of my psych classes we took an emotional intelligence test. It was basically a test to see how well we are at reading the emotions of the situation, figuring out why someone is feeling a certain way etc etc. I scored pretty well. I don't remember the scoring system but basically if it was out of 100 I would of gotten an 80-85. So there were people much better at it than me but I was still better at it than most of the class. What I kind of figured out was, I was really good at figuring out the "what" they were feeling and the "why", but I wasn't always so good at figuring out the "how much" of the emotion. Example: The emotion anger. Well if there was a range from mildly annoyed to pissed off, I would be able to correctly identify images or situations where people felt anger regardless of how small or large, however, I wouldn't usually accurately state whether it would be large or small. To me they were all just 'anger'. It'd be like colors. Someone might call a color "mahogany" or "crimson" but to me...it's just all the color red. Hopefully that makes some sense.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think as far as a types that tend to have higher IQ, ENTPs have pretty high EQ but that's because all of them are introverts and the top ones have either Fi or have Fe as the last function. However, I don't think we tend to be among the MBTI with the highest EQ. I would say we are definitely in the top 5 of IQ. I have seen the order as INTP-INTJ-INFP-INFJ-ENTP, although I am really going to dispute that because although I do think INFPs and INFJ are generally intelligent, it is their ability to sit still and focus that skews them above us, not that they actually have higher IQs. I am going to guess ENTPs might not have the longevity to sit through tests as well. I always was good at taking standardized test but I found that the last portion of the test was always my worst score regardless of my ability in it (my lowest score in my ACT was the science portion, the last portion-I am a scientist now and was always in honors science classes). As far as EQ, I would say ENTPs are towards the middle among the other MBTI types. We are pretty good at reading the situation and choosing the right emotion or response based on our company.

That being said, apparently I took an IQ test during my entrance exam into my private high school and I am pretty high (not ridiculous but high enough to get into MENSA if I was that full of myself and needed papers to tell me I'm smart). I actually did not know I took it and the results were not given to the students but a guidance counselor who was trying to give me the "you are not living up to your potential" lecture (which was a very common theme through my schooling in my childhood) when my mediocre grades came out showed my IQ to me. I would say I have pretty decent EQ too (not MENSA high if high EQ had a stupid club to show off too). I will say that I think having Fe in your main stack helps. It's the high IQ types who have Fi not Fe that I think tend to have low EQ. I am guessing INTJs and ENTJs tend to have high IQs but are pretty low on the EQ scale. INTPs are definitely high on IQ but are significantly better at EQ than an INTJ (probably not as good as us at EQ still).

I will say, they have IQ and they have EQ but they really should have an "common sense" intelligence test. Yes, I have a high IQ and am pretty decent in EQ but when it comes to everyday common sense, that kind of stuff gets past me. I am sure I would score pretty low. My mind is looking at so many different ways to do something, the obvious could me staring at me but I have to look at all possible ways before I would choose it. That is where the xSTJs would kick our ass. They are very good at reading the situation quickly and seeing what order things should happen for maximum efficiency. That goes for both non-personal situations and social grace-like interactions.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Of all the NT types ENTP have the highest emotional intelligence. For those of you saying you just "don't care about people", I don't buy it. When someone says that the first thing that comes to mind is that no one who is supposedly aware that they don't care is actually the type to not care. You may not experience feelings or share the same sentiments as everyone else, but neither do I (and I'm an enfj). The ones with the lowest EQ would be ENTJ or intp (out of the NT types).

Emotionally intelligent people have very good interpersonal skills and can understand and empathize with the feelings of others. The main weak point with ENTP and their EQ is that although they may be able to see where another person is coming from in their feeling, when it doesn't line up with their Thinking and logic, they quickly dismiss those feelings, very bluntly people. This hurts sensitive people's feelings. So ENTP lack a certain amount of tact with wording that people with a higher EQ have.

At the end of the day the ENTP with a high EQ is a pleasure to be around. The female ENTP seem to have this part of themself fine tuned a bit better than their male counterpart. The biology of the female brain helps.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have very high EQ with very very low IQ. I can barely read or write. I'm gonna make a great house wife one day.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have very high EQ with very very low IQ. I can barely read or write. I'm gonna make a great house wife one day.
Do you have dyslexia ? IQ is what I call a "academic intelligence" not intelligence itself because the components of what the IQ test provide is what you learn in academical field. Although some people with high IQ have difficulty in school but it's due to other factors such as not liking school or high neuroticism.
Some people have dyslexia and dyscalculia, the two are somewhat connected and will problably have a lower IQ result because of those problems.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Do you have dyslexia ? IQ is what I call a "academic intelligence" not intelligence itself because the components of what the IQ test provide is what you learn in academical field. Although some people with high IQ have difficulty in school but it's due to other factors such as not liking school or high neuroticism.
Some people have dyslexia and dyscalculia, the two are somewhat connected and will problably have a lower IQ result because of those problems.
Bless your heart everything I said went over your head.

·
Registered
INFJ
11,608 Posts
Of all the NT types ENTP have the highest emotional intelligence. For those of you saying you just "don't care about people", I don't buy it. When someone says that the first thing that comes to mind is that no one who is supposedly aware that they don't care is actually the type to not care. You may not experience feelings or share the same sentiments as everyone else, but neither do I (and I'm an enfj). The ones with the lowest EQ would be ENTJ (out of the NT types).

Emotionally intelligent people have very good interpersonal skills and can understand and empathize with the feelings of others. The main weak point with ENTP and their EQ is that although they may be able to see where another person is coming from in their feeling, when it doesn't line up with their Thinking and logic, they quickly dismiss those feelings, very bluntly people. This hurts sensitive people's feelings. So ENTP lack a certain amount of tact with wording that people with a higher EQ have.

At the end of the day the ENTP with a high EQ is a pleasure to be around. The female ENTP seem to have this part of themself fine tuned a bit better than their male counterpart. The biology of the female brain helps.
Bless your heart everything I said went over your head.
Wtf lol, in the future I will not bother to ask you any question.
Summary of this misunderstanding :proud::
@HGy only wanted to tell us about her high emotional intelligence, and revealed her, in her opinion, very low intelligence quotient, be it academic or real. She didn´t want to speak about her intelligence quotient. :happy:

@Plumedoux did surely read what HGy wrote, but wanted to help her with a little bit information, in the hope, that she perhaps find out, that she has a higher intelligence quotient than she thought, independently of her very high emotional intelligence.
It was objectively no attack, only an offered advise for her. But he forgot her intentions with her posting ^^.

So, if I meddled without asking? Deal with it! :cool:

Reactions: HGy

·
Registered
616 Posts
Plumedoux[/URL][/B] did surely read what HGy wrote, but wanted to help her with a little bit information, in the hope, that she perhaps find out, that she has a higher intelligence quotient than she thought, independently of her very high emotional intelligence.
It was objectively no attack, only an offered advise for her. But he forgot her intentions with her posting ^^.
I was asking a question about dyslexia because she writes "I can barely read or write", maybe I take this sentence too literally with the fact that she has maybe dyslexia. And I put things in context by seeing a correlation between having a bad score at IQ and having dyslexia by providing a little bit of informations. My intention was only that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts