Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking through TV Tropes about random stuff, I suddenly came up with something ('cause thats what happens at the 28 hour sleep deprivation mark :crazy:). Before I say anything, I would like to point out that I am pessimistic and nihilistic (somewhat).

If nothing can be known for certain, why do we bother to search for answers? Why do people have opinions on or have morals and ideals when morals and ideals carry no certain value? While on this topic, why do we care about laws when they are, technically, based off of ideals and morals? Doesn't lack of certainty make our lives... how do I say it... useless?

On the logic trail, this came shortly after: If our life is useless, why do we care about what we do and how we live? In the words of some smart guy; "You spend more time dead than alive. Compared to the time spent dead, life is a speck."

And now the craziness starts: If nothing is certain, how do we know that we exist? *major brainfuck follows*

·
Banned
596 Posts
Because for some (read: most) people, life DOES have meaning, whether they believe it's inherent in the universe or whether they constructed the meaning themselves. I'm sure that by doing some thinking, you can brainstorm some reasons for why people, in general, are not nihilistic. (I'm not challenging you, I'm just too lazy to write them all down.)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because for some (read: most) people, life DOES have meaning, whether they believe it's inherent in the universe or whether they constructed the meaning themselves. I'm sure that by doing some thinking, you can brainstorm some reasons for why people, in general, are not nihilistic. (I'm not challenging you, I'm just too lazy to write them all down.)
Of course. I just needed to say what was on my mind. Sort of like how I just lost THE GAME.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Our bodies are an illusion and are not what is 'real' The truth lies in your awareness. That's all there is. The key finding that is to simply stop looking.

·
Registered
173 Posts
And now the craziness starts: If nothing is certain, how do we know that we exist? *major brainfuck follows*
Reality is nothing more than a consensual hallucination. Everything exists only because we agree it exists -- didn't you watch The Matrix?

As for the whole "nothing really matters" idea, you can couch it in cheesy terms like; "When nothing you do matters then everything you do matters"; I've always felt that those of us who believe in nothing, those who don't have something to goto after all this is done, or have an invisible sky-man telling us what to do; I've always felt that the people who believe in nothing have the most to get done in this world since we're motivated only by our own whims instead of fear of the beyond, it makes our actions much more telling and reflective upon ourselves.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've always felt that the people who believe in nothing have the most to get done in this world since we're motivated only by our own whims instead of fear of the beyond, it makes our actions much more telling and reflective upon ourselves.
I really like this, I must say.

...I've always thought that, in the absence of a religion imposed meaning, you simply have to find your own meaning. It's easy to say that what we do here on earth is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but to those of us living here, and having only this as our experience, it means a lot since it impacts what we feel, do, and possibly most importantly, think.

Sometimes, the most meaningful thing I can think of is to not live hatefully and make others happy- kinda like the whole "pay it forward" thing, or the psych studies showing that if your friends are happy, you are more likely to be happy if that's better- if you make others happy, you make yourself and their friends happy, and then you have a hot spot of people who are a little happier and can spread the happiness so that, for the small amount of time you are aware and need that sense of meaning, it's there. After all, if there's nothing to aspire to in a next life, then happiness is probably the next best thing to strive for. : D More fulfiling than being hedonistic, anyways, in my opinion.

/done being cheesy.

...do we exist? Do you exist? You think, I assume, so you can be aware of your existence. You can believe in the rest of us at your own leisure. :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well yes you are definitely a bit of a nihilist... Concerning the usefulness/uselessness of life. Well we're here and we don't know for how long. So you live the best you can according to whatever rules or morals you've laid out and enjoy yourself. Is the world a fricking mess, yes, but it cant get better if all people do is bitch about it. Be proactive and make something happen, as the old saying goes "be the change you want to see in the world"

As an INTP I see the inconsistencies in logic, and wonder if people can get any stupider, the majority of the people on this planet aren't that bright, lets face it. So as INTP's we are thinkers , we're idea people, we can formulate solutions. If we ran this world their would be far fewer problems, but we're not really interested in running things , just making sure that things make sense at least our portion of our own little world.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's assuming there is a "you", an "abyss" and that "to gaze" has been adequately defined.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If nothing can be known for certain, why do we bother to search for answers? Why do people have opinions on or have morals and ideals when morals and ideals carry no certain value? While on this topic, why do we care about laws when they are, technically, based off of ideals and morals? Doesn't lack of certainty make our lives... how do I say it... useless?
Some things are more certain than others. I can say with almost certainty that when my alarm goes off I will get ready for work. If my clock broke, the answer would be what new one do I purchase? My car will start; I have a new battery and gasoline. The reliable employees will be there to help me achieve common goals at work. When I press the power button my comp will shut down. Nothing is certain exempt death and taxes, but there is a 99.99% chance that things will go as expected in my life with proper planning and thought. I will gamble with my thoughts and life on those odds.

My moral code is a result of empathy. I would not steal a car because I would not like my car stolen. Empathy for the victim is what most laws are based on. I would break state law and smoke pot - there is no victim and therefor no empathy. So, my and common opinion on someone stealing a car is that he lacks empathy, has demonstrated the lack of and willingness to create damaging effects, and therefor may harm others and should be jailed.

Like my father says, many people think and live like tomorrow may never come, but you wake up tomorrow and there it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts