Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I moved to Florida 14 months from Texas, where I had lived my entire life. I came for rehab and I'm doing much better now. But, I feel less and less connected as time goes on. I've made a boatload of acquaintances here, mostly through recovery or my church. But I always end up feeling emptier than I did before I met these people. I have such high expectations when I meet someone I like, particularly about the role I want/expect them to play in my life. It's really not fair and it just leaves me feeling let down, but that's the case nonetheless.

I fell for the pastor's daughter at church, I'm really close to her parents and I get along well with her sisters. But after a while of being friendly and not even almost hitting on her, I got a "i'm not interested in dating you nor will I ever be" response. And I let this slowly turn into a sense of rejection that I associate with the entire church now. It was one place where I really felt at home and safe here, and now that's almost entirely gone as well. I tend to fall for girls with nice/big families. So I probably didn't like the chick as much as I did the idea of being with her and being a part of a family. Not that I don't have a nice family- they're wonderful. I have wonderful parents, albeit I'm not really that close to them. Emotionally or physically - they're all the way back in Texas. Along with almost everyone else I know.

But in AA I've learned that the best way to help yourself is by helping others, so hopefully someone here reads this and can relate to it. Then, maybe, they can help themselves by helping me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Eek. Probably should've posted in a subforum that isn't so damn popular lol.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well, after my first year of college, which didn't turn out well, I came back home to do community college for awhile so I could figure things out in my life. The summer before I started I was pretty lonely, and I really wanted to make friends in my first quarter there, but it went really badly, so I kind of felt like nobody at the school liked me and it sucked.

Sometimes when I meet someone or see someone who looks like they might be on the same page with me with things, I get excited and start imagining how we'll be great friends and hang out and such... And then that falls apart because it's unrealistic. X|

...I've resorted to making friends through the internet. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts