Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in a long distance relationship and the person is awesome and I love him to bits. He's two states away and can't really take off for awhile due to military training. Relocating is possible in the future but not now. What do you recommend for staying sane?

Ps I'm trying to get into hobbies to fill up my time so I won't be so anxious.

Any personal experience is nice.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I have that same problem. My gf of 2 years lives across the english channel from me. 250 miles as the crow flies but three times that by plane or train.
Aside from that her mental health is appallingly bad so even during the times that I can visit her its always a gamble if she will make it out the door.

And to top it all off we are both phonophobics. So most of our communication is by email, chat and sms.

i'll tell you it hurts like hell. So far we have made it through, living in the vague hope for a better future with more time together. But we both know how slim those chances really are.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
We talk everyday. Even if it's just to say "I'm thinking about you." What'd you do today? Oh, nothing. Me too! :happy: Remind each other of the things you will do when you are together. Communication is crucial.

Take pictures, of you, of your activities. It's a good way to feel connected. Video, too.

Care packages.

This weekend, he and I are going on a movie date. We just won't be in the same theater.

Definitely find a hobby, something to throw yourself into.

Reactions: SeekJess

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I've just sent him a letter today. And we talk every day. Throughout the day we text and every night we speak on the phone. Usually for an hour. Gah

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
We often like to talk in music. To say things that words fail to do.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
as for hobbies I recommend anime or picking up several series of books. Actual physical activities I found biking to be rather nice and as cheesy as it may sound doing something like volunteering at blood drives can help kill time plus give a sense of accomplishment. Learning a new skill is always a good use of time, even if its something silly like yo-yoing. There are many different things you could learn to do online that would be beneficial in various ways. Aside from that you can always practice one of those dance routines designed for getting in shape. The belly dancing one would probably be appreciated by him also.

Reactions: SeekJess

·
Registered
68 Posts
what about using video chat

Have you tried using free video chat either via MSN or Skype?

It may help to actually see each other. Just using the phone can get old.

These services work great between 2 people. They can't handle 3 or more due to bandwidth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.