Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone says that ENTPs live in a very short-term mindset and that they never make long-term plans. On the other hand, I make a lot of plans that span across years and I've realized that I often have a better grasp of what to do to prepare for future events than most people around me. I seem to have this really uncanny ability to instantly shoot down stupid ideas too (unless they were my own stupid ideas, then I fully support them because . . . well they are my own ideas and I obviously cannot make any mistakes and thus I never had the aforementioned stupid ideas :wink:).

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I do a lot of long term planning. Partly though that's daydreaming, knowing where I want to be and being unable to be there immediately, so plotting my route to it. My mind lives in the future a lot.

I'm not a great fan of mixing Myers-Briggs with enneagram but possibly that's the 6 thing: I am not where I want to be because I/my family need the financial security I can provide. I can't just chuck it all in because I feel like it, with no safety net. So I make myself happy by thinking about it a lot.

In the short term I am a better planner than my ENFJ other half. He will set out on a long journey in the car without having thought to look at a map, and then wonder why he doesn't know which way to turn when he reaches a junction.

What I am though is flexible: if I have a plan to do something, and for whatever reason, either cos I want to or other needs reveal themselves I have no interest in holding on to what I was planning to do. I have STJ/SFJ friends and colleagues who get really difficult or even aggressive if this is put to them. I'm more "OK, seems like a good idea. In fact, now I come to think of it, if we do this instead we can also do x so maybe it's a better deal all round".

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
l do plan, and sometimes obsessively. l can become fixated on minor details in theoretical situations that may or not happen five years from now.

At the same time, l can sometimes relate to a mindset that seems Seish. l may not be lost in the moment specifically, but l can become ''absorbed'' by short stretches of time.

l may become immersed in something for a month or two and it can be experienced like nothing else exists. lt doesn't seem to be driven by impulse, but l can mesh with different environments in a way that looks like drifting.

l don't tell people plans that l do have unless they're going to be involved somehow.

·
Registered
507 Posts
ENTP are not bad at planning, in fact ENTPs are great planner but the thing is we lack the focus on implementing the plan. That's why I usually do very good in the start of semester but suck at the end of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts