Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing this Thread out of plain curiosity! Wife and I have been told many times that we don't look like early Baby Boomers (born in '48/her, '49/me). I know that a lot of times I sure don't act like I'm 64! In fact, I joke with folks about my age and say, "do you want to know when you are getting old ..........when you are 1 year away from Medicare!" Most laugh and agree. Now, what do we do to look younger? Dye our hair! I use Just For Men on my mustache/temples b/c there is NO gray anywhere else.......lucky, hugh? And, I have a FULL head of hair at my age! Wife dyes her hair and I know when she does it........I smell it! As far as how we act, from the folks in our age bracket that we have met, definitely younger! I have a large "sense of humor" that my wife loves, but not everyone we know does. But, then again, some sarcasm can go into my humor sometimes and not everyone likes that. Oh well, wife does. Sometimes when we are out driving around, I will turn up the cd player and we will ROCK OUT to Queen, Bob Segar, Heart or whatever. I'm sure the younger generation wonders "what the heck are these old folks on?". When we are on our boat, the old cd player is cranked up also. Wife loves "I Love Rock & Roll" by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts. Some folks will get shocked when this old man says "Party Time!" So, what about you? I'm sure that some of the folks in our age bracket where we live probably think "grow up" towards me (not saying it to me, of course).

·
Registered
648 Posts
Crank up the Queen! Been my favorite group since I was in 2nd grade back in 1972.

I am 48 but could probably pass for 10 years younger - at least people tell me that. I went to my 30th class reunion this past weekend and many people said I "haven't changed a bit." I tell people they should see the portrait I keep in a secret room.

I have yet to find somebody that gets the joke.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Class of '68 had a Reunion in 2010, but we couldn't go due to finances. They had another one two weeks ago, the 45 year one and again we could go due to seeing my wife's family was more of a priority. I did go to the 20 year one and it was ok. I've got pictures of both Reunions and see a whole lot of gray hair. Even though all of my classmates are either my age or 1 yr younger, many of them really have that "Senior Citizen" look. I know that coloring hair is a personal decision, but why not? Actually, one guy (I graduated with him) and his wife look old enough to be our parents............and he's only 1 year younger than myself. At our (wife/I), we just like to have fun........well, as much fun as our bodies will allow without pain coming into the picture.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crank up the Queen! Been my favorite group since I was in 2nd grade back in 1972.

I am 48 but could probably pass for 10 years younger - at least people tell me that. I went to my 30th class reunion this past weekend and many people said I "haven't changed a bit." I tell people they should see the portrait I keep in a secret room.

Funny, damfino, I have some classmates who have the same facial look as they did when we graduated in 1968! I was REALLY amazed when I looked at pictures on Facebook from both Reunions. I look VERY different now than when I graduated. At graduation I was 6'1" tall, weighed 98 "very thin" lbs w/very short hair that showed my big ears! The short hair was due to my dad who loved short hair and I had no choice when at the barber. I was lucky that the Navy kept me due to being that thin, but they did. I have both my high school graduation picture and Company graduation picture from Navy Boot Camp in 1968. Back then, I really looked "nerdy"!

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that a typo? Did you really weigh 98 lbs at 6'1"?
No typo! I was very skinny back then. High metabolism rate and wasn't allowed ANY in-between meal snacks! Actually, it wasn't 'til I turned 50 that I FINALLY started gaining some "much wanted" weight! I gained the weight, but about 30 lbs to much. Weigh 228 now. But, for some folks, like wife and I, weight gain just seems to go along with getting older. Wife still looks very nice, but is around 20 lbs over. Very, VERY hard to lose at this age!

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts
Before I fully reply, let me say I've never, in my very long life (54 yrs) been locked up for being crazy. With that said -- I have a life to lead, I have a certain way I want to live it, I cannot be concerned with what others feel is appropriate behavior for an age. What I mean is -- I make the rules around here (regarding my life & choices), not some magazine, TV show, famous programming icon or college course on developmental milestones.

If you and your wife are happy, more power to you for future adventures.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VERY GOOD, Sily! Wife and I do tell each other (nicely) different things that will improve ourselves/our marriage. We both tell folks, "never a dull moment in our household" due to the sense of humor we both can have. We don't try to "live our lives for others", but it can be comical how people our age can act much older than we do and how some can have such a dry sense of humor. But, like the old saying............"to each their own!"

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Haha, sounds like the Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde!!!

Reactions: damfino

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
paddles up 001 (519x640).jpg Well, this is me. I am ancient. I look a little less than ancient. I act... um... immature. My looks and my behavior don't mesh.
If you're going to lie about your age, say that you are older than you are. Then people will gush about how great you look. If you say that you are younger than you are, people will wonder what happened to you. But they won't say much of anything to avoid being rude.

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
You look like you'd be a lot of fun to hang out with!

View attachment 80020 Well, this is me. I am ancient. I look a little less than ancient. I act... um... immature. My looks and my behavior don't mesh.
If you're going to lie about your age, say that you are older than you are. Then people will gush about how great you look. If you say that you are younger than you are, people will wonder what happened to you. But they won't say much of anything to avoid being rude.

·
Registered
648 Posts
DSCF0495 (2).jpg self photo.jpg I've been on PerC a month and only just yesterday got the guts to put a pic on my profile. Just your typical INFJ.

Reactions: elev8 and Aqualung

·
Registered
648 Posts
redheads :wink::happy:
I hated it when I was a kid. I badly wanted stick straight blonde hair. Now I wouldn't trade being a redhead for anything.

Reactions: Glenda Gnome Starr

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Reactions: damfino

·
Registered
648 Posts
Beautiful picture. You look happy. I'm a goofy esfp, lol.
I was very happy in the first picture; it was taken a month ago during my first ever trip to Colorado. In the second one I was just tipsy.

No wonder you look like a lot of fun! You're an ESFP! :tongue:

Reactions: Glenda Gnome Starr

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
When I was a kid I thought I'd grow into a middle aged guy like Fred MacMurray or Hugh Beaumont in the 60's. Pipe, slippers & newspaper, etc. Well I'm pretty much the same guy I was 40 years ago, with half the energy & twice the wisdom. I pretty much dress the same, listen to the same music & have the same hobbies. I do look different. I grew 2" since high school & I'm not a broom stick with a boney face anymore. Some gray in my hair & when I don't shave my chin's gray. Some tell me I look younger than 56. I doubt it but some act surprised when I tell them my age. And some don't. I don't always act 56. Around kids I'm a kid. Unlike my dad, I don't think fun is a waste of time. I get silly now & then laugh at stupid things. I was watching a rerun of "All in the Family" a few years ago & Archie Bunker mentioned he was 47. I gasped. I'm older than Archie Bunker now! That shocked me. I don't feel like I'm an old guy. More like a tired teenager who's learned some things about life.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts