Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. I bought beets at the farmers market yesterday, and I would much appreciate a recipe for these lovely vegetables. Thank you!!!

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, this reminds me of a story of my (misspent) youth...
Soooo... I am the third of four girls. My older sisters were smart and I looked up to them because they were smart. They were also taller so I had no choice but to look up to them.
One day, my oldest sister announced, "I hate beets. Beets are bad. I will never eat beets."
I didn't even know what beets looked like. But my very smart oldest sister said, "Beets are bad." Therefore, I decided that beets were bad... just because she said "beets are bad."
I avoided any contact with beets. They were obviously as bad as green eggs and ham. Or even worse. Yes. They had to be inedible because green eggs and ham turned out to be good.
Eventually, I grew up. Um. Became an adult. At least chronologically.
I decided that I wanted to learn Spanish so I went to language school in Guatemala. I knew that I was going to live with a Guatemalan family and that I would eat Guatemalan food. I decided that I would eat everything that I was served. If I couldn't recognize what it was, I would just eat without saying, "What is that?"
One day, a huge platter of beets was placed on the center of the table. I looked at it and hear my voice in my head. "Beets are bad. I will never eat beets... I will eat everything that is put in front of me..." I signed and put a tiny amount of beets on my plate. I had promised that I would eat everything. I did not promise that I would consume copious amounts. I very tentatively put a tiny bit of beet on my fork and tasted it. It was too small of a piece. It wasn't big enough for a taste test. I took a bigger piece and another piece... and still another... and put my beets on my plate..."
It was like green eggs and ham. Once I tasted it, I realized that beets were good. I will eat beets from now on. I like beets.
But, until now, I've never cooked beets.
It looks like it's time for a new culinary adventure!

They're inedible in any state, so there's no loss.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can try and awesome apple-carrot-beet-orange-ginger smoothie. It's among my favorites along with other recipes including banana and avocado, but it depends on you whether you would like to keep some pulp or not in this one. It usually gets too thick with it so it's preferable to use a juicer.

·
Beer Guardian
14,678 Posts
Oh no, I got a good enough sample and still hated them. They taste like the dirt they come from to me. I'm not terribly picky, but there are a few things I just don't abide, and beets are one of them. My sister was anemic as a kid, so my mom made them a lot more than I would have liked.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aha, the infamous beet overdose.

Oh no, I got a good enough sample and still hated them. They taste like the dirt they come from to me. I'm not terribly picky, but there are a few things I just don't abide, and beets are one of them. My sister was anemic as a kid, so my mom made them a lot more than I would have liked.

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
LOL, this reminds me of a story of my (misspent) youth...
Soooo... I am the third of four girls. My older sisters were smart and I looked up to them because they were smart. They were also taller so I had no choice but to look up to them.
One day, my oldest sister announced, "I hate beets. Beets are bad. I will never eat beets."
I didn't even know what beets looked like. But my very smart oldest sister said, "Beets are bad." Therefore, I decided that beets were bad... just because she said "beets are bad."
I avoided any contact with beets. They were obviously as bad as green eggs and ham. Or even worse. Yes. They had to be inedible because green eggs and ham turned out to be good.
Eventually, I grew up. Um. Became an adult. At least chronologically.
I decided that I wanted to learn Spanish so I went to language school in Guatemala. I knew that I was going to live with a Guatemalan family and that I would eat Guatemalan food. I decided that I would eat everything that I was served. If I couldn't recognize what it was, I would just eat without saying, "What is that?"
One day, a huge platter of beets was placed on the center of the table. I looked at it and hear my voice in my head. "Beets are bad. I will never eat beets... I will eat everything that is put in front of me..." I signed and put a tiny amount of beets on my plate. I had promised that I would eat everything. I did not promise that I would consume copious amounts. I very tentatively put a tiny bit of beet on my fork and tasted it. It was too small of a piece. It wasn't big enough for a taste test. I took a bigger piece and another piece... and still another... and put my beets on my plate..."
It was like green eggs and ham. Once I tasted it, I realized that beets were good. I will eat beets from now on. I like beets.
But, until now, I've never cooked beets.
It looks like it's time for a new culinary adventure!

If you boil them too much they lose some of the nutrients, try steam-baking them.

At the salad bar In restaurants they have 100 different things, I always get beets, just beets with some blue cheese dressing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts