Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, seeing as us INTJs are notorious for our affinity for the trance genre, I thought I'd ask what your favorites are. Good tracks are surprisingly hard to find.

It's the sort that provokes a feeling of electricity flowing through the mind, or a general phenomena of wired-ness. It's hard to describe. Almost like you're in tune with the larger motion of technology and/or human advancement. These tracks may be high intensity or relatively calm, but they have the same approximate effect and it's awesome for productivity.

On second thought, is this even trance? Or am just confused about music? All I can say for certain is that they are electronic.

Examples I can think of are:

Hotline Miami 2 - M-O-O-N - Dust (1)
Tycoos - When it All Falls Apart
nc. ft NRG Factory - Innocence of Silence

But I'm open to all options. What types of music do you work with best? Examples? Suggestions?

Thanks all

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I find my preferred genres (hard rock, classic metal, alternative etc.) to be too distracting because I get into it too much, so it's something I struggle with. Classical is okay but sometimes not enough momentum going on there, so it's not much different from listening to nothing. Most music without words is better than with. Something else that works for me is listening to something I'm unfamiliar with (in preferred genre), because I dont get as distracted that way but I kind of soak it in subconsciously. I used to introduce myself to new artists that way in high school, from doing homework. Guitarists are pretty good too (energy minus the words), Satriani, Steve Vai, Buckethead. Eastern styles of music, if it doesn't make me want to sleep. lol.

TBH, lately I end up working without background music because I get too obsessive trying to find the "perfect" productivity music and end up less productive. :p

Edit: Vangelis and movie soundtrack music are pretty good middle grounds. I actually find trance to be a bit much, I'm still trying to find electronic music or something similar that is good for working.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I like music that has vocals (I don't know why, but it helps me focus), but is soft enough that I can zone in on what I'm trying to work on. The only artist I've been able to find that I can work to is S. Carey. His music is acoustic, relaxing, and trance-y. My favorite of his is a song called "In the Stream" that I love to listen to on low volume when I'm writing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I find anything that has vocals gets me moving and dancing which isn't conducive to studying. I like Electric, Ska, try Shanghai restoration project, Or lately i've been digging the Sitar music. try Slacker radio I've it way better then Pandora ( I always end up in a loop of sorts)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Deadmau5 are quite good for most things really...

deadmau5 & Kaskade - I Remember - is a really song to drive to if you are doing motorway miles
deadmau5 - Some chords - good to run to, gives a good rhythm
Stay (aka Drop The Poptart/Somewhere Up Here) - Deadmau5 Ft. Colleen D'Agostino - I draw quite well to this song...
deadmau5 - Maths - Gaming tune...
deadmau5 - Bleed - I work well to this

Deadmau5 doesn't really reflect what I normally listen to but it is good to work out to or drive to so it might be okay to work to. Some dubstep can be okay - Nero - Innocence - for example is good... and Nero - Guilt - but it depends what you like to listen to!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I love working while I listen to Bach.

This piece in particular caught my attention and I listen to it pretty often.

However, based on some stuff you've said here I think it's possible that you would enjoy a piece from the Death Note OST.
Tell me, what do you think about this?

I think it has a nice vibe and I sometimes listen to it when I play chess.

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
Hey everyone, seeing as us INTJs are notorious for our affinity for the trance genre
What? Apparently I missed the memo. Couldn't identify trance if it was blaring in my ears.

·
Registered
125 Posts
In contrary to all my friends who listen to EDM to keep them working, I listen to ballads and rock. The song that got all my friends all "what the frickle frackle" at me was when I was able to study all night just by having One Way's A Thousand Words on repeat. LMAO. I also listen to Oasis, the 1975 and Mayday Parade.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I can't listen to my current fav music when I am working. It pulls me out of work mode.

Classical is not my top 5 most fav genres but it is the only music I can listen to while working. I've thought about why. The conclusion is that the structure of classical music is rather scientific in a pure form. If you know music theory you'll know what I am talking about. This structure jives withe my left brain, enable me to concentrate on my work.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
In case you want to try the "scientific" approach, [email protected] has music made specifically for long periods of work (there's some science to it - I've never tried to check its credibility, but the music usually works well for me). See:

As for more trancey stuff, the following are a few of my favorites that have worked for me in the past. It is hard to find ones that have the right balance - I find that (for me) if the track is too intense or varies too much in its intensity, then I tend to get pulled out.

https://soundcloud.com/djdomennz/trance-dance-mix-2012

You could also try soundtracks. Stuff like:

·
Registered
INTJ
449 Posts
@I_am_the_NiTe
Trance? Well, no. Not really

However, my general impression is that INTJs are more likely to be fans from "abstract" music (meaning music with electronic and industrial roots).

Among my favourite artists are Front Line Assembly and the video game soundtracks of Sonic Mayhem (did stuff like Quake 2/3).

I dunno about your taste in music, but maybe something among could be something of interest?
Front Line Assembly: Vanished, Unkown Dreams, Attack the Masses
My absolute favourite is Angriff, but I know that this is not necessarily something everybody enjoys xD

I love working while I listen to Bach.

[Link removed to cut the size of the quote]

This piece in particular caught my attention and I listen to it pretty often.

However, based on some stuff you've said here I think it's possible that you would enjoy a piece from the Death Note OST.
Tell me, what do you think about this?

[Link removed to cut the size of the quote]

I think it has a nice vibe and I sometimes listen to it when I play chess.
Interesting choices.

However, my personal favourite is Low of Solipsm ;)

I have to say you posted some very interesting choices. I too find pleasure in listening to classic music sometimes, like Requiem from Mozart.

However, I'd go so far by saying that certain modern soundtracks can be equally great, but in a different way, of course.

Personally, I find it a shame that so many beautiful soundtracks exist which aare left unnoticed by the majority.

Just one example is the excellent soundtrack for Tron Legacy:

Or other Tron soundtracks like: The Grid, Solar Sailer, Outlands, Noctrune and especially the soundtrack "Finale" might be somewrthing worth listening to, @Joseph Trapanese

But I do an incredible amount of movies disjustice by not mentioning them here, however I just have to keep it concise. But I do have to mention Hans Zimmer for his amazing achievements in film soundtracks.
Tracks like "Detach" from Interstellar are just breathtaking (start listening at 3:40) .

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I will share 4 playlists with you. I use them all for studying or working to, depending on the time of day and mood I am in. (The nocturnes one I usually listen to between 10 and 11 at night, as it's name suggests :p This is also the best time for writing for me.)

Ni Music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE3O21OP3cXCd8tc7U_bRpXFLA_p968uL
Awesome Sibelius: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE3O21OP3cXAEaqKmgwz-2oe8tA4i9Cr5
Bach Well-Tempered Clavier https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE3O21OP3cXDvBBAghJ8VfVBiEo-_D7to
Chopin Nocturnes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D8500CDA15F2DC7

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I listen to a lot of shoegaze, dream pop, and classical music when I work and study. Bands like My Bloody Valentine and Asobi Seksu are my favorites. As for classical composers, I dig Stravinsky, Dittersdorf, and Saint-Saens. I find that the busier and more layered the music is, the more likely it is to drown out unwanted, distracting thoughts.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I love chill and liquid dubstep when I need something to concentrate, depending on my mood but as long as most of it is instrumental then I'm good to go. I like to be quite experimental with genres, never really sticking to one, blending and crossing over elements from different styles. Any music like that is sure to have my attention.

Tracks like this one is more or less what I mean:

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I will share 4 playlists with you. I use them all for studying or working to, depending on the time of day and mood I am in. (The nocturnes one I usually listen to between 10 and 11 at night, as it's name suggests :p This is also the best time for writing for me.)

Ni Music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE3O21OP3cXCd8tc7U_bRpXFLA_p968uL
Awesome Sibelius: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE3O21OP3cXAEaqKmgwz-2oe8tA4i9Cr5
Bach Well-Tempered Clavier https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE3O21OP3cXDvBBAghJ8VfVBiEo-_D7to
Chopin Nocturnes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D8500CDA15F2DC7
haha, I like that Ni playlist. Not sure it would work for something I'm bored with (because the music itself would probably be more interesting) but it seems ideal for "flow state" types of working.

Reactions: luemb

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'm not really a dubstep fan (I prefer Trance), but I found some melodic dubstep/brostep that's to die for!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts