Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I'm looking for some recommendations of Sci-Fi or fantasy series. I'm a big Anne McCaffrey fan (particularly the Dragonriders of Pern), as well as a big Tolkien Fan and a big fan of Frank Herbert's Dune. For what it's worth, I think Game of Thrones is overrated, so I'm not that big into that series. Please don't recommend it.

Anyway, just looking for recommendations of series!

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,205 Posts
Consider the "Antares Trilogy" by Micheal MocCollum

"The Mote In God's Eye" which is a standalone novel, though I understand it is set in a universe that has a series of books about it. It's written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

I very highly recommend "Rendezvous With Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke. "Childhood's End" is also very good. The former has a series of books about it but I'm reading the second one now and I don't think it lives up to its predecessor.

The only fantasy novels I've ever read are "The Eyes of the Dragon" by Stephen King, which is standalone, and the "A Song of Ice and Fire" (or Game of Thrones) series. I have enjoyed them quite a lot, some of my favorites even.

I was a big fan of the Dragonrider's of Pern series myself. I should re-read those books as I haven't read them since I was in my early and mid teens.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hey y'all,

I'm looking for some recommendations of Sci-Fi or fantasy series. I'm a big Anne McCaffrey fan (particularly the Dragonriders of Pern), as well as a big Tolkien Fan and a big fan of Frank Herbert's Dune. For what it's worth, I think Game of Thrones is overrated, so I'm not that big into that series. Please don't recommend it.

Anyway, just looking for recommendations of series!

Thanks!
You mentioned Anne McCaffrey; did you read her Crystal Singer trilogy? If anything, I find it even better than her Pern novels.
If you're not afraid of young adult fiction, I also recommend Tamora Pierce's Alanna/Song of the Lioness series (Alanna: The First Adventure and its three sequels.) You may know of Richard Adams from Watership Down; I find his two Beklan Empire novels (Shardik and its prequel, Maia) to be better still.

I hope these get you started.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
All of these have female protagonists.

Fantasy
Mercy Thompson series: The protagonist is half native american, a mechanic, and turns into a coyote. She marries a werewolf and each book rotates to focuse on a different fantasy creature. ie. vampires, werewolves, native american mythos, demons, and fae. The most recent book delved into canary island mythos and gods.

Alpha and Omega: Takes place in the same universe as Mercy Thompson. The protagonist is a werewolf so there's a lot of werewolf politics and there are witches involved.

Seraphina: The protagonist is a dragon and it's about dragons that can turn into humans. It's been a while since I've read it but I believe there's quite a bit of political play in this series. The second book just came out and I haven't had time to read it but I enjoyed the first book.

Sci-fi
Grimspace: The main character's job is to plug into ships and jump them through grimspace, or hyperspace. It has aliens galore, fairly rich alien cultures, visiting of other planets, and lots of action.

Dred series: The main character is called the Dred Queen and she is in charge of a territory on a rundown prison space ship. The series is basically about rather graphic turf wars between her and other territories while throwing in some fantasy abilities stemming from lab experiments. I just started reading this series, it seems good so far.

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mentioned Anne McCaffrey; did you read her Crystal Singer trilogy? If anything, I find it even better than her Pern novels.
If you're not afraid of young adult fiction, I also recommend Tamora Pierce's Alanna/Song of the Lioness series (Alanna: The First Adventure and its three sequels.) You may know of Richard Adams from Watership Down; I find his two Beklan Empire novels (Shardik and its prequel, Maia) to be better still.

I hope these get you started.
Thanks. I've read pretty much everything Anne McCaffrey!

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I'm a big fan of David Weber's Honorverse books, there are actually several series' involved, with something like thirty novels and several anthologies of short stories. It's largely military scifi, but heavily leavened with political drama and a lot of personal stories. Over the course of the books the character development is excellent and overall it has a an epic and sweeping feel, with a host of very memorable characters. Most of the books in the series are fantastic, a few are merely excellent, but those are mostly bridging pieces to set up major plot developments later. Overall, I couldn't recommend these highly enough.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'd recommend "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman. It's very good, it's fantasy and it's about parallel universes but also philosophy, physics and theology. There's so much substance to it.

Reactions: koalaroo

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: Grandmaster Yoda

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone else with any suggestions?

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
I can recommend the Night Angel trilogy and the Lightbringer books by Brent Weeks.

Also, for science fiction, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley if you haven't read it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cordwainer Smith is great. He wrote a whole bunch of short stories and one novel, all based within this incredible imagined future of humanity. Very strange and frequently silly but also extremely deep and complicated.

I also remember really enjoying Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy, which is a ludicrously expansive space opera with loads of neat ideas and a strong horror element.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've heard the culture series is very good and I have been meaning to read it. I really enjoyed the hyperion cantos by dan simmons. It has so many layers and I think you will relate to the female protagonist brawne lamia. It's told in the style of the canterbury tales with a pack of pilgrims each telling their story while undertaking a journey. Brawne is one of the pilgrims

·
Registered
978 Posts
Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy is one of my favorites, and the audiobooks are AMAZING. I'm also a big fan of the Malazan series by Steven Erikson.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Fantasy:
James Branch Cabell's Poictesme novels; start with the brilliant Jurgen (prosecuted for obscenity ). Witty, allegorical, and life enhancing.
Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast.
Walter Moers. Wonderful German fantasy writer.
Terry Pratchett. The Discworld series.
Douglas Adams
Jasper Fforde. Thursday Next (about a woman who can travel into books).
Robert Rankin's Far Fetched Fiction.
Jonathan Stroud: Bartimaeus trilogy.
Jonathan L Howard: Johannes Cabal the Necromancer.

Science fiction:
John Wyndham
Isaac Asimov
Ray Bradbury
Doctor Who - often much better than spinoff novels should be, particularly when written by Lawrence Miles, Marc Platt, Jim Mortimore, Paul Magrs, Jonathan Morris, Paul Cornell or Dave Stone; hugely clever and playful

·
Registered
163 Posts
Fantasy Series:

Kingkiller Chronicles - by Patrick Rothfuss - this series reminds me of the way some songs are written the way it develops.

The First Law - Joe Abercrombie - This series reminds me of a Chuck Palahniuk book in the fantasy world

Anything by Michael Sullivan. I liked The Crown Tower and The Rose and the Thorn

Brandon Sanderson's - Mistborn Series and Stormlight archives are both good

The Warded Man - Peter Brett

Hard Magic - Larry Correeia

I can go on. I tend to read about a book a week. I have read all of Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, John Scalzi and Tolkein. I recommend the above books/series over those though.

·
Registered
617 Posts
A lot of good ones have been mentioned.

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind is my favorite.

Shannara by Terry Brooks isn't bad, but I've not completed it. I read that they're making a TV show of it soon, so it will probably get some renewed interest.

Jane Gaskell's novels. Her series was the Atlan Saga, but there are other independent novels certainly worth a read. The Atlan Saga was one of my earliest fantasy series and is unforgettable.

Reactions: Powershower
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.