Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
332 Posts
Wanted to share this interesting piece:

I disagree with the author on one point: I think women won't go for a guy they find butt ugly -- even if he's managed to land the next Cindy Crawford. They have to find him attractive in the first place in order for this attraction by association effect to take place.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Looks matter. I value looks just as much as I value personality.

But that doesn't mean much coming from me because I'd go for Keith Richards and **** Jagger - together - sans money and fame. Old and conventionally ugly is my type.

·
Banned
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks matter. I value looks just as much as I value personality.

But that doesn't mean much coming from me because I'd go for Keith Richards and **** Jagger - together - sans money and fame. Old and conventionally ugly is my type.
Really? You value both equally? Why is that? Do you think you'll always feel this way? After all, looks fade as we get older.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Look's matter's for me.
The truth is look matter's for most or every human. We are builded to have an erection when we see boobs or penises or to be horny when You are girl.
Look's maybe don't matter If You are asexual, If i understand what it mean. Even If You value something more then look (Which i don't know if that is possible) then You still value look.

·
MOTM May 2014
7,026 Posts
Random thoughts:
1) looks matter more to young people for a number of reasons and most of these reasons become less important as we age.

2) first impression does not always last; a person considered attractive at first sight might be considered ugly if it's determined that their personality is appalling . The opposite mechanism exists as well.

3) beauty can be a serious disadvantage, but this is seldom discussed.

4) it's likey a simplification to say that attractive people have an advantage based on looks alone. Studies also show that self esteem is attractive. Since beauty and self esteem sometimes is related, it is easy to jump to the conclusion that looks matter more than self esteem (which I view as a part of personality, so not looks related) or to interpret self esteem as beauty.

5) looks and the importance thereof is valued differently between different cultures/countries.

·
Bed, Bath, and Beyond
7,569 Posts
Being treated better at work
If the manager is a horndog, which 99.9% of them are. People like that honestly have no business being in power.

Being deemed more intelligent and successful in life
Were individuals like Issac Newton or Albert Einstein really considered "physically attractive"? They were never "deemed" because they went out and actually proved themselves.

Receiving more favorable treatment by juries in court
An example of the justice system not being so justified. Discrimination is real.

Being judged as more sincere
Being judged as sincere, does not mean the person in question IS sincere.

Being regarded as more adept at activities/hobbies like sports and music
"Being regarded" is yet another assumption and more or less giving someone benefit of the doubt.

What do these answers tell you? Most nations and cultures are a facade.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
both looks and personality can fade.

Just as some are said to want an perfect looking partner, then there are also those who look for an perfect personality.
But both can be hard to find.

Who looks good is often totally personal, tho i know some talk about symmetry, hip to waist ratio etc. Someone who is deemed ugly by some may be really sweet and cute in some way to me.

But yes, looks matter to some degree, it does for most of us personally.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I've seen non good-looking people be attractive and charming, as well as good-looking people being quickly repulsive. The article is odd, people can be successfully attractive in many ways despite physicality being championed nowadays.

Of course looks has its advantages just as many other traits.

·
Banned
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Random thoughts:
1) looks matter more to young people for a number of reasons and most of these reasons become less important as we age.

2) first impression does not always last; a person considered attractive at first sight might be considered ugly if it's determined that their personality is appalling . The opposite mechanism exists as well.

3) beauty can be a serious disadvantage, but this is seldom discussed.

4) it's likey a simplification to say that attractive people have an advantage based on looks alone. Studies also show that self esteem is attractive. Since beauty and self esteem sometimes is related, it is easy to jump to the conclusion that looks matter more than self esteem (which I view as a part of personality, so not looks related) or to interpret self esteem as beauty.

5) looks and the importance thereof is valued differently between different cultures/countries.
How might looks be a "serious disadvantage"? In the sense that people might want you more for sex than for your brains?

·
MOTM May 2014
7,026 Posts
How might looks be a "serious disadvantage"? In the sense that people might want you more for sex than for your brains?
Examples right off top of my head:
- Sure sex is the one area people naturally jump to, but other type is use age includes status among peers or elevation of self esteem (from both genders, so romantic as well as friendship relationships).
- Other type negative impact can be jealousy/envy which can result in backstabbing, sabotage and exclusionary type behavior.
- Preconceived notions is another aspect; people assume that the attractive individual has an easier life, is spoiled, snobby, etc.
- Assumptions regarding lower intelligence is another one. Refusal to acknowledge that a person can actually "have it all", including looks , personality, intelligence, etc.
- Fear of jealousy is yet another example; people might not want to be associated with an attractive person since it might lead to relationship conflicts based on insecurities in a significant other.
- Unwanted advances, including stalking and harassment.
- 'Protective' type behavior from managers that impact your career negatively (manager trying to prevent rumors by delaying/ignoring actually earned promotions in the company, "X slept their way to the top", for example)
etc.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Examples right off top of my head:
- Sure sex is the one area people naturally jump to, but other type is use age includes status among peers or elevation of self esteem (from both genders, so romantic as well as friendship relationships).
- Other type negative impact can be jealousy/envy which can result in backstabbing, sabotage and exclusionary type behavior.
- Preconceived notions is another aspect; people assume that the attractive individual has an easier life, is spoiled, snobby, etc.
- Assumptions regarding lower intelligence is another one. Refusal to acknowledge that a person can actually "have it all", including looks , personality, intelligence, etc.
- Fear of jealousy is yet another example; people might not want to be associated with an attractive person since it might lead to relationship conflicts based on insecurities in a significant other.
- Unwanted advances, including stalking and harassment.
- 'Protective' type behavior from managers that impact your career negatively (manager trying to prevent rumors by delaying/ignoring actually earned promotions in the company, "X slept their way to the top", for example)
etc.
Exactly

You forgot one, alienation.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
After 50, your looks is a reflection of how you've lived (physical health, eating habit, sleep pattern, sun damage, etc.) and who you are (mental health, mind set and attitude).

A few people I've known for over 20 to 30 years look better in their 50s than in their 20s. They are middle aged and were never great beauty when young but now they are like fine single malt Scotch, a joy to be around. I consider them good looking.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Personally, I have to be attracted to someone physically as well as mentally/emotionally. BUT, that doesn't mean the person I am attracted to is beautiful according to cultural conventions. There is usually something distinctive about their face or the way they carry themselves or speak. Recently I noticed someone as soon as I walked into a cafe for a comedy show...I avoided staring at him directly, but I noticed he had a very thoughtful, intelligent looking face. That immediately piqued my interest in him. It's hard to describe..talking to him later on after the show, I felt a connection almost immediately. It is strange how attraction works, sometimes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We all hate to sound like shallow pieces of shit...

But our ingrained primal instincts make us go for people we perceive of as equally attractive as ourselves or higher. Good looks means good genes to reproduce and continue this bastardous genetic lineage of humanity. We should all stop reproducing. The human race is evolution's way of committing suicide. We're fucking up Earth. We eat animals and shit on fresh water------

Oh wait, back on topic, err...

Personality is a big thing though. A big dick can mean you're dating JUST a big dick. SO, choose wisely. A pretty box can have a fucking bird shitting itself with a belt of bombs wrapped around its body inside. It is sad though, for the nice people whose looks aren't favorable, and they end up being single forever, even if their only life dream was to be with someone and not die alone...

and they end up dying alone... :(

WELP. THAT AIN'T ME. GOODNIGHT, FOLKS.

·
Banned
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We all hate to sound like shallow pieces of shit...

But our ingrained primal instincts make us go for people we perceive of as equally attractive as ourselves or higher. Good looks means good genes to reproduce and continue this bastardous genetic lineage of humanity. We should all stop reproducing. The human race is evolution's way of committing suicide. We're fucking up Earth. We eat animals and shit on fresh water------

Oh wait, back on topic, err...

Personality is a big thing though. A big dick can mean you're dating JUST a big dick. SO, choose wisely. A pretty box can have a fucking bird shitting itself with a belt of bombs wrapped around its body inside. It is sad though, for the nice people whose looks aren't favorable, and they end up being single forever, even if their only life dream was to be with someone and not die alone...

and they end up dying alone... :(

WELP. THAT AIN'T ME. GOODNIGHT, FOLKS.
But the fact better looking people are deemed smarter and friendlier is crazy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
But the fact better looking people are deemed smarter and friendlier is crazy.
Yeah. It's crazy what kind of ups in society you get just because you look gorgeous. Usually when I see pretty people though, I try to have a blank canvas and let their words and actions paint my impression of who they are rather than the looks in general. Still, I do have my preferences before choosing a mate and I'm very picky. Being considerably "good-looking" only gives you 1/6 of the deal lol.

That explains why I've only had 2 crushes in my entire life of living. ;-; I'm almost 20 so Idk if that's saying something lol.

:3

1 - 20 of 23 Posts