Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
In order:

1. Lord of the rings
2. Star Trek (none of the JJ Abrams crap though)
3. Star Wars (the prequels and sequels can kiss my ass. Only really loved 4, 5 and 3)

Harry Potter isn't even in the same league. The books are great but the movies are complete and utter trash that belong in the same pile of doggy doo as the Twilight movies.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
1.Star Wars
2.Star Trek
3.LOTR

Harry Potter

Love Star Wars, generally like Star Trek (will second "none of the JJ Abrams crap," completely overrated director), not interested in Lord of the Rings but respect its storytelling. From my understanding, Tolkien had been formulating Middle Earth since WWI, even though The Hobbit wasn't written until decades later, so the amount of depth in it is astounding

Was indifferent to Harry Potter, thought and still think they were very well written but were not my thing. I'm just completely exhausted of hearing about them all the time. Like, I swear to god you have so many 20somethings whose only cultural frame of reference is Harry Potter, so they'll react to news stories like "oh, this is just like in Harry Potter when....." Read something else just once in your lives please.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Yup. Abrams really fucked over both Star Trek and Star Wars. If you read any of the extended universe canon, you'll see just how bland, boring and pathetic both TFA and TLJ are (TLJ is terrible because TFA was terrible and so the new writers had shit to work with and they fucked it up even more).

If you watched TNG, DS9 and TOS movies, then forget about anything Abrams has done because it pales in comparison.

Abrams uses a lot of flair to distract people from how hollow is story-telling is. There is no complex philosophical depth that both Star Wars and Star Trek had. Star Trek canon was glorious in its questioning of the human condition, complex narratives around morality and justice ... His movies had none of that. I mean, the thing that people talk about the most about Abrams is his signature fucking sun flare effect. That alone tells you that he's a con artist.

Discovery was also just a complete and utter SJW pain in the ass. The director, the actors, the cast made it clear that they didn't want any fans of the original to watch it, so of course I didn't.

It probably won't last even as long as Enterprise did.

Star Trek is dead in space. Might as well let it go. The franchise is doomed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Overrated crap. I'd say there's like 3-4 good movies in there at most. The rest are just lengthy trailers for the Avenger movies.

Brooooooooooo!?!

Ok so there are a couple duds in the series, Iron Man 2 and 3, The Inc Hulk, and Thor 2.

For the interwoven complexity, strong personalities, big action, humor, and drama the MCU has it. Even the smaller budget Netflix series are great to watch.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Brooooooooooo!?!

Ok so there are a couple duds in the series, Iron Man 2 and 3, The Inc Hulk, and Thor 2.

For the interwoven complexity, strong personalities, big action, humor, and drama the MCU has it. Even the smaller budget Netflix series are great to watch.
Says "couple", lists 4 lol. Wonder how many more you'd list if I just prodded a little bit ;)

Nah, you can like what you like, it's cool.

Here's my list of good MCU movies in order (not just from Disney btw) ... Not including Raimi's first 2 Spider-man movies because I think they belong in a class all their own because to me they started the current boom so they can't be judged by today's standards

1. Logan
2. Avengers
3. Iron Man
4. GotG 1
5. Civil War

The rest were very generic and not very memorable tbh. I have seen almost all of them (minus Ragnarok and Black Panther) but none stuck with me quite like my list of 5.

As for the TV shows, I'm really into Daredevil, but the rest are ok. They lack a captivating arc, good villain (except I did like Killgrave from JJ). Iron Fist, Luke Cage were boring af. It was a chore to get through Iron Fist.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I grew up in the 80's/90's man. Deadpool was a throwback to the classic 90's revenge action flicks (pick up any great action movie from that era and you'll see the tropes in Deadpool), so while it was new and great genre-breaking film for the younger crowd of today, it was very much "meh" for me personally.

Not a bad movie though - just not for me.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
star wars - 5,4,6, R1... 7 was good but only because it was a re-skinned 4.
star trek - TNG, DS9, films - 6,2-3-4
LOTR - theyre good, but there SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
the star wars as a universe BLOWS the rest away though. all the material available, canon or not is fuckin amazing. KOTOR1/2, TFU had amazing story lines i wished would come to film, the EU is fuckin AAAAWESOME, the detail put into the smallest characters, the myths, lore, mysticism, etc...

star wars hands down

1 - 15 of 15 Posts