Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAVE YOU EVER LOST BECAUSE OF SINCERITY?

Let’s be real. Every person has a threshold for the amount of truth it can handle. Anything beyond what they can handle would become toxic and will do more harm than good.

Have you ever lost because of revealing the truth?
And obviously I’m not refering to those times when police caught you doing something illegal and you couldn’t keep your mouth shut and... you endangered your own liberty with sincerity.

I’m refering to basic interaction with people. Relationships, be it business partners, coworkers, employees, friends, family, lovers, mistress, strangers.
Did you ever feel that you lost because you were too sincere? Because you said the truth? That it would have been better to not... reveal the truth?

Me personally, yes. I felt a lot of times that I lost because I offered the truth to people that couldn’t handle it. Basically it is like biting off one's nose.

I'm sorry I ever did that? Not. Do I have any regret? No.
Did I learn anything from this? Yes.

That the truth is not for everyone and you cannot assume that everyone you come in contact with responds as positively as you to the truth, this can destroy opportunities.

We often say that we like the truth but ... in fact we all want to be BEAUTIFULLY lied more or less, in certain contexts, to some degree.
We are actually asking for it.
Those who do not want to be lied to or who want to be lied to very often are extremes, few fall into it.
Most of us are somewhere in the middle.

A beautiful lie will often triumph over a raw truth.
Some would say that it is actually "the raw truth is not for everyone" and that in fact people want the truth, but presented in a way that is pleasing to them.
They want it with a delicate packaging, to their liking. Is that true?

What is the difference between a beautiful lie and a truth that is beautifully packaged?
The reason I am in favor of raw truth instead of beautifully packaged truth is this: it produces effects much faster. Whether positive or negative. Produces results faster.
And this often interests me, to know that I'm not wasting my time.

Sometimes a beautiful lie is useful, it is the most beneficial thing you can offer.
Sometimes a beautifully packaged truth.
Sometimes a raw truth.

What do you think? Did you lose anything because you were too honest?

·
Registered
623 Posts
u mean honesty?

i wont say ppl love beautiful lies in general
there are many things in life better left unsaid

yet we inevitably come across insensitive or clueless ppl every once a while who cant help themselves

they have to lay everything out in the open
not because it works
but because thats how they operate

i think its ok
nothing is perfect

·
Registered
Nemophilist
2,514 Posts
I lost all the time due to belligerently pointing out uncomfortable truths when I was a kid (kids are more prone to this since they are not yet fully indoctrinated into their culture).

Now, I am more mindful of consequences. Raw truth, delicate truth, whatever it is, the purpose and the consequences of it must be understood in order to make a mature decision about how to handle it. I prefer to take things as they are, including accouting for sensitivies, rather than how I think it should be between people.

That said, the little sprite in me does enjoy a good show of the avant garde. :sneaky:

Reactions: Fru2

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I've lost some friendships and potential friendships in the past because of telling the truth. Usually I can restrain myself but in these situations I would know that I won't be able to live with the fact that this person that's right before me is clearly living out a lie. They've been somehow conditioned into it, or convinced themselves of it, or just didn't figure it out yet themselves, but in all cases I just knew I had to be the one to open their eyes to it. In one particular case a potential ENFJ colleague was so taken aback by what I pointed out to her that she started to avoid me, but then when I saw her again a few months later, It was very clear that she actually benefited from the raw truth I gave her.

I never regret it. I can be a good friend, and a good partner, but sometimes I know that my role is to be the person who bring about things you don't want but do need to hear. I prefer the raw truth myself, because we live in a world that is based on a big beautiful lie which is comprised of many smaller beautiful lies and some half truths. The best gift I could get is a pure, raw, uncensored truth.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Oh definitely, I relate to this a great deal.

Without getting too specific, but more recently I am reminded that many aspects of human interaction are forms of manipulation and lying, it's there pretty much all the way through if you pay attention. Look at job interviews: It's all about fabrication because you're like a street-seller trying to sell yourself as the best sausage on the market, it is inherently about deception and manipulation of others' perspectives.

More commonly simply look at your own interactions with others and how/why/when you changed from person to person in your interaction style. To some degree this is unavoidable and it has to do, I think, with our relationship to truth. As you probably know, our truth in terms of how we really feel isn't the same as a truth that attempts to be objective (not sure that true objectivity is ultimately achievable but there is something to be said for more or less evidence of something and the attempt) although some people have a clearer view than others in this area.

I even feel that keeping my mouth shut in some situations is lying by omission and that I do more damage, and betray myself, by holding back the truth, particularly if it is something that will allow some corruption or denial of that truth to fester and take hold. There are plenty of lessons in history about what happens when people accept the untruth of a dangerous and oppressive regime.
Although, I've certainly not been tested in such an arena and what I'd like to think I would do is likely different than what I would actually do.

Reactions: Squirt

·
Registered
| 9w8 sx/sp | 469 |
347 Posts
There is a notion called the "sensitive line" which basically describes the same you just did. Once people receive too much criticism their fight & flight response kicks in and makes them defensive.

And yeah, it did happen, does happen. Sometimes reframing it some way helps - not necessarily turning it to a "beautiful lie", rather reinforcing the person and making it known I'm telling the truth to help them, not drag them down or whatever they think.

·
Registered
Nemophilist
2,514 Posts
I've lost some friendships and potential friendships in the past because of telling the truth. Usually I can restrain myself but in these situations I would know that I won't be able to live with the fact that this person that's right before me is clearly living out a lie. They've been somehow conditioned into it, or convinced themselves of it, or just didn't figure it out yet themselves, but in all cases I just knew I had to be the one to open their eyes to it. In one particular case a potential ENFJ colleague was so taken aback by what I pointed out to her that she started to avoid me, but then when I saw her again a few months later, It was very clear that she actually benefited from the raw truth I gave her.

I never regret it. I can be a good friend, and a good partner, but sometimes I know that my role is to be the person who bring about things you don't want but do need to hear. I prefer the raw truth myself, because we live in a world that is based on a big beautiful lie which is comprised of many smaller beautiful lies and some half truths. The best gift I could get is a pure, raw, uncensored truth.
This is one of the “highest” uses of speaking truth.

It’s helpful that you did learn it was beneficial - that someone learned from it or things were made better. Sometimes, you never find out what ultimately happened with someone and it takes some faith to know it was the right thing.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,562 Posts
I don't think I ever regret being truthful, because I believe the truth always comes out in the end, anyway. At least this is true for me, because I'm awful at suppressing things or keeping my mouth shut, I guess. The only thing I regret is the way I sometimes have expressed certain truths as I saw it. If it turned out to be counterproductive or hurt the other person, then yeah, I regret it, because I think I could have said something in a more tactful way. Tact just makes something easier to digest and I think that's what most people would prefer. You know the saying: "tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they enjoy the trip"? I find that inspiring because I feel I often lack tact lol. More so with people who are close to me. I've been told I don't mince words. The closer someone is to me, the more raw and uncensored I become. My favorite people are the people who don't get offended by my raw self, and just understand what I'm saying to begin with, without me having to go into some long, in-depth explanation about it. I just think it's unrealistic to expect that from the majority of the population, so filters are necessary due to the limitations of language. The goal is understanding and a positive result.

And there have been times where I've been too gentle in presenting the truth so that it isn't really registering inside the other person that I'm serious. So, sometimes a direct approach works better. It's like drawing a line in the sand. Which side do you stand on?

I feel that not speaking your own truth robs people of the freedom to choose. Especially if it pertains to your relationship with the person. That's a giant problem in my eyes, which I feel is unfair. That being said, I'll always think it's kinder for someone to tell me the truth, even if it hurts, rather than letting me live in the dark forever because they fear my reaction. That's totally selfish. And not to mention, they could also very well wrongly assume how I would react to something. If you have that much suppression in a relationship or friendship, it's like, what's the point? If you can't be honest with someone close to you, then who can you be honest with? I understand the benefit of not being completely transparent with everyone you meet, but that's different. Anyway, that's how I feel about it. Give me truth or give me death.

But I will say, I do think when it comes to certain things, certain truths create way too much cognitive dissonance inside a person, so I also totally understand how it can be kinder not to reveal something someone isn't ready or prepared for. That it can do more harm than good. But yeah, it depends on the context. So you just try to gauge things and do the best you can in life.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
20,613 Posts

Let’s be real. Every person has a threshold for the amount of truth it can handle. Anything beyond what they can handle would become toxic and will do more harm than good.

And obviously I’m not refering to those times when police caught you doing something illegal and you couldn’t keep your mouth shut and... you endangered your own liberty with sincerity.

I’m refering to basic interaction with people. Relationships, be it business partners, coworkers, employees, friends, family, lovers, mistress, strangers.
Did you ever feel that you lost because you were too sincere? Because you said the truth? That it would have been better to not... reveal the truth?

Me personally, yes. I felt a lot of times that I lost because I offered the truth to people that couldn’t handle it. Basically it is like biting off one's nose.

That the truth is not for everyone and you cannot assume that everyone you come in contact with responds as positively as you to the truth, this can destroy opportunities.

We often say that we like the truth but ... in fact we all want to be BEAUTIFULLY lied more or less, in certain contexts, to some degree.
Those who do not want to be lied to or who want to be lied to very often are extremes, few fall into it.

Some would say that it is actually "the raw truth is not for everyone" and that in fact people want the truth, but presented in a way that is pleasing to them.

What is the difference between a beautiful lie and a truth that is beautifully packaged?
The reason I am in favor of raw truth instead of beautifully packaged truth is this: it produces effects much faster. Whether positive or negative. Produces results faster.

Sometimes a beautiful lie is useful, it is the most beneficial thing you can offer.
Sometimes a raw truth.

Lose because I was too honest? Nah. If they don't like the truth, that's on THEM, not me. I'll do my best to not be cruel about it, but if you didn't want me to be honest, why did you ask?

My future ex wife once asked me if she looked fat in the jeans she was wearing. I looked her in the eyes and said:

"Darling, you look so good in those jeans, I am tempted to rip them off you and ravage you right here!" Complete and utter honesty.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
16,952 Posts

What kind of truth are you talking about?

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
So, in the sense I think you mean 'lost', yes, all the time.

But no, being sincere is BY DEFINITION, a win, in the final truest sense.

Let’s be real. Every person has a threshold for the amount of truth it can handle.
It? :) I do not know about this. Yes, shame is there for your wants and egregious pride for your chest thumping identity, sadness and regret for wrong action.

But I would say that yes everyone has a threshold but that that threshold is widely varying depending on a person's overall wisdom or character. So, it's not even close. Desire types in particular have a low threshold for their dreams or wants being deemed 'wrong' by judgement. They work quite diligently to make their desires manifest, against all reason often enough. Likewise fear types are always limiting everything, cutting things off too early, painting themselves into corners and defending them. The truth shatters all prisons, and evaporates all delusions.

Anything beyond what they can handle would become toxic and will do more harm than good.
I disagree. The truth is by definition GOOD. So to me, some aspect of you that is struggling with moral judgement is proposing this. I get a vague sense of a desire leaning in your statement.

So many times, yes.

Wisdom and wise action are hard, the wiser the action the harder the effort. That is the nature of truth and the GOOD. It is synonymous with objective perfection and morality is objective.

But again, 'success' or 'winning' as defined by any arbitrary moment or group or even person IS NOT actual perfect success or a real win. So, what you are calling a win IS NOT a win. The real win IS ALWAYS the truth.

Yes you are talking about that or you are not making sense. Yes there are other cases as well. Maybe the rest of your post will cover what you mean here. What you mean by 'couldn't keep your mouth shut' is at issue. I argue that the reason that happens is because some part of you is more allied to the truth than the desire/lie/don't speak up part. So, YES IT IS still the same thing. There are people who have trouble lying. That is an expression of the order/fear limits of truth.

Did you ever feel that you lost because you were too sincere?
Well in words (not actions) I can be brutally truthful (just ask @Dalien or @BigApplePi), at least to what I consider truth to be.

I have come to find out that I am marginally demisexual, as in I can only act in the sexual world when I establish a deep connection. I still do not really like the term as I feel like it is possible in a perfect setting to make that connection quickly and still deeply (the love at first sight thing).

So, yes, again, my sincerity often makes me 'lose'. Example: Admitting to a woman I am dating that I am demisexual and not yet physically attracted to her. That can be brutal if done wrongly. At my age the physical attraction thing is a bit more problematic. You almost HAVE to look deeper and spend some time, etc. But, I find many women are not at all willing to accept that honesty/delay/sincerity, even if it is put delicately. More and more these days the women want a physical connection to FEEL attractive, and not because its right or the two of you are right as a couple. So, they date to FEEL the FEELS and that is not really proper. That is just one example.

I also honestly answer or state that makeup is deceptive. It is. It hides truth. Still, putting on the best image to bring the dream to life is part of the chaos/desire offering to truth. As long as that is balanced with order/fear and the balancing emotion of anger, I am fine with a little well meant deception. Since desire is fully one third of truth, that means some deceptions are morally correct. I will not go into more detail on this topic, because it would sort of be off topic, but that truth will not make me stop admitting that make up is deceptive.

I worked for years as a developer in many companies. Usually it was the beginning of the end for me in any company, and there were many, when the managers or sales people or team leads asked me to overtly lie or pursue non win-win, but company major win customer lose scenarios. I have indeed been effectively let go because of my demands towards honesty. I have also myself quit due to the same issue when the company culture was trending that way.

My friends tell me all the time not to disclose too much up front in so many situations because they know I'm an open book and honest, to what they consider to be a fault.

Jiddu Krishnamurti said it best, 'It is no measure of success to be well-adjusted to such a profoundly sick society.' He means that what you call a 'win' or 'success' in this thread IS NOT actually a win or success. Morality is objective and only the actual perfect GOOD truth is a real win, in any and every case. All else is degrees of deception.

Desire's side exists mostly to forecast a future, to imagine a way, to guide the will. It is used to sense the path of the GOOD. But deception as intent is not good.

Because you said the truth? That it would have been better to not... reveal the truth?
'Better' in what sense. In the FINAL GOOD sense, the truth is always better.

It is only this way because people expect/want you to lie. They want you to fit their will of you, their image, their delusion. And the truth is often damnably inconvenient.

Good for you! I feel the same way.

Yes, it can, but, the truth is a bastion of happiness. Others may fail or prefer to set up a pattern of failure. So be it. Tell them not to, call them on it, but you tell the truth, be the truth, for the GOOD to grow in this universe.

Precisely correct and this is often called 'success' or 'winning'.

I intend to want not to be lied to, especially by myself. For now that is all I can muster and I do fail sometimes. You are right. From my experience this is one of the rarest traits of all. Like all wisdom, the most valuable traits are super rare and super hard.

Yes.

Correct.

So, two points here. Yes in answer to your question, people want the truth liberally sprinkled with appealing lies, with makeup.

But the second point is that these 'some people' are wrong about the raw truth not being for everyone. That is the EXACT THING about truth. It is always for everyone precisely equally. It is the GOOD. Its pursuit offers us happiness itself. The denial of the GOOD represented by truth and only truth is a path to loss and sadness, depression and unhappiness.

The intent.

Deontological morality is truth. Consequential morality is delusional and not true.

A beautiful lie is INTENDED as a lie, an immoral act. To package one's appearance to be pleasing and youthful to oneself and one's potential partners is deceptive, but not really immoral unless intended as a trap. If intended as an expression of beauty, an attempt towards perfection from where we are, this is not immoral.

This IS NOT true. Firstly make up often gets a stronger result from the view faster than no makeup, although more and more people are preferring the raw truth these days and I love that.

What you mean to say I think is that raw truth polarizes an issue. It FORCES people to pick a side. In a world of made up faces the un-made-up face is a bold statement in itself. Some would be partners will NOT be for it. Some will demand it or at least prefer it. The closer to truth a choice is the greater the GOOD that will come of it. That is all you can say for sure, even if truth starts a long war.

Well yes, lies, waste everyone's time, but they also cause wrong action. If someone deceives you into a trap this allows further immoral action. As immorality mounts, more and more immorality is more and more likely. This shows us why the GOOD is the single hardest thing to do.

This is true as long as the intent is to the GOOD only.

Sometimes a raw truth.

As mentioned, many times, and I will more.

Wisdom causes suffering to earn more wisdom.

Reactions: Fru2 and ENIGMA2019

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
16,952 Posts
Let's face it. Truth can be vastly overrated. After all truth to a rock is not the same as truth to a human being. Human beings live by being involved. How far do you want to go by being involved with an ugly truth that sticks to you wherever you go and cannot even leave in your dreams? Rise above this and leave it behind.

You want truth? Here's a truth: We have this need to reproduce just enough to foul our own nest. This causes a speed up of global warming so slowly we refuse to see it. We fancy we can slow it down and that is a good thing. It is a noble cause. But it will only slow it down, not stop it.

I have come to find out that I am marginally demisexual,
I have come to realize that I am a demi-eater. I only like to eat when I am hungry.
I have come to find out I'm a demi-exerciser. I only like to exercise when I need to increase circulation.

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
Let's face it. Truth can be vastly overrated. After all truth to a rock is not the same as truth to a human being.
Incorrect.

Truth never changes. YOU are not talking about truth, so stop using that word. You are talking about current state or functionality.

Truth is objective and unchanging and the SAME EXACT power of truth, the burden of choice, exists for every particle in the universe. The SAME EXACT signal is there, love. The rock's current state or capability is less than a human being's. It's nexus or locus of material is not connected to parts of matter with a much more highly evolved moral agency. But salt is a rock. We eat salt. So that salt becomes a part of us that we may carry around for decades. Does THAT rock then partake of our moral agency in some way? Can we live without salt? At the end of the day, we are collections of various organic and inorganic matter, still with a BETTER antennae for tuning into moral agency. But that BETTER functionality only comes with evolution, the crystal creeping on to the pattern of the signal, love. The rock was already being bombarded by the same signal. And each of even the tiniest bits of matter in that rock were already responding to it, making very limited choices that the functionality of a rock can. Mostly it's just THERE, with the chemical properties of its elements acting like its identity.

Truth is EXACTLY the same for both. There is no such thing as 'your truth' and 'my truth'. That is an in error way of speaking. There is your current state or functionality and mine and there is objective truth. Gravity, a law of the universe, is closer to objective truth. For you to be correct in any way, gravity would have to stop working for some people or objects or beings. It does not. Truth is objective and unchanging.

Human beings live by being involved. How far do you want to go by being involved with an ugly truth that sticks to you wherever you go and cannot even leave in your dreams? Rise above this and leave it behind.
This 'cannot leave it behind thing' is good. The pain of wrongdoing in the memory, in the pattern, assists us in continually doing the GOOD to avoid unhappiness. 'Rise above' is inadvisable. You NEVER should 'leave it behind'. Bring it with you and cherish the failure as an experience where you earned wisdom. Shout your failure and its message to all that they can earn a portion of that wisdom BEFORE they partake in such an experience.

I have come to realize that I am a demi-eater. I only like to eat when I am hungry.
I have come to find out I'm a demi-exerciser. I only like to exercise when I need to increase circulation.
You speak of needs only and only in that context to some degree. But you are wrong.

Most people and I submit even you, eat when they WANT to eat something good tasting, which is gluttony beyond need. Many people exercise beyond need for image which is narcissism to some extent. Following ANY trail of desire overmuch leads to addictive behavior. I think sex in particular can be a place of want rather than need. It's a tricky subject as well, because I think there is more need there than most people realize. Sex is a very YES connect to the universe, you are me and I am you, moment. It is leaning into need quite a bit. But the sincerity and risk, the exposure and vulnerability of that moment is hard to overrate. So, despite my at first believing in the gratification side of it, it has been decades now for me with friends saying, 'yay for you go get some!' and things like 'you are your own worst enemy and could mess up a wet dream' as I refuse sex or come close but back away because the risk and vulnerability are higher than the connection. I'm in a situation right now where I trusted to what I thought was intense connection, wonderful, bright, and instead it is playing out on the risk and vulnerability side of things. It is sad in the extreme for me and more evidence of this precarious balance I am referring to. Demisexual as I understand it now, is quite proper as an approach.

Reactions: Fru2 and ENIGMA2019

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
16,952 Posts
At point 7:35 this cognitive scientist says, "Thinking is a social process." We can ask, what individual can get what is true?

YOU are not talking about truth, so stop using that word. You are talking about current state or functionality.
I fear that went right over my head.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
16,952 Posts
Incorrect.
In this age of the coronavirus, it is best to take all precautions. Therefore I'm recommending any and all demisexuals to carefully place a bag over their beloved's head when they care to indulge. To be fair, after first doing that, place a second bag over one's own head to ensure equality of risk together with political correctness.:geek:

• Haha
Reactions: series0

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
At point 7:35 this cognitive scientist says, "Thinking is a social process." We can ask, what individual can get what is true?

VIDEO
So, this guy is offering us a very valid point, the share side, the you are me and I am you of belief. But he is VERY VERY WRONG about certain specific statements he makes. He denies and belittles the importance of the rare person of grand awareness and the wise in particular. He is thus quite easily characterized in terms of his worldview and personality (to me) as a left wing academic. He is first a chaos apologist and only then an order apologist within that frame.

ALL human progress is made by either miraculous and extremely rare accidents of intense observation, or more often by great individuals taking in all the awareness of the day and forming a transcendent pattern of conjecture (projecting a new theory) that is a singleton resting on a loose skeleton of past pretenders to the same theory. So yes, even these great philosophers and scientists are still working with others, but those others are elites already in terms of personal functionality/state. Finally the emergent idea, the new facet of nearer truth, WILL emerge. Evolution almost guarantees it. The signal is there, and the march to perfection and all the sacrifices of failure along that path are inexorable. Even if the Earth is doomed next year by some freak cosmic accident, it technically matters not. Love remains the only conclusion and elsewhere in the cosmos, another chain of evolution is parallel to this one, despite all its differences. Truth is objective. So, we have faith in this pattern. It happens everywhere, as a law of the universe. Failed paths are part of the risk. And all of humanity could be such a failed path (see the Fermi paradox) and this ... ok.

So, his presentation is interesting, but his depth and examination of the counter theories to his own are exceedingly weak.

Nature has ensured that the flat earth society exists. Someone must be a order based traditional doubter of all new belief that lags way behind the others. The longer the lag (eg the greater the length of time and belief that is doubted) the more stable overall humanity will be. If we all bought Luis Vitton bags in lockstep with the prosperity and taste delusions, we would end up lemmings that jumped off a cliff very soon. The doubters MUST exist and their seemingly ridiculous doubt MUST be cherished, not made too much fun of. It is an anchor to what is known from the past, the fear, the healthy doubt. If we drink the Kool Aid of charisma, we will deny reality and lose our anchor. It is likely that suicide would be the result of that. As I have mentioned many times to you, chaos disintegrates order, the being of the self.

His first left leaning and then scientist order fix cloak can be wielded as an unwise deception (which is how ultimately I see this piece). Beware the glib assertion that you are like everyone and you alone cannot know. It smacks of the lack of self worthiness of chaos and desire.

I fear that went right over my head.
Beware the glib assertion that you are like everyone and you alone cannot know. It smacks of the lack of self worthiness of chaos and desire.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
16,952 Posts
So, this guy is offering us a very valid point, the share side, the you are me and I am you of belief. But he is VERY VERY WRONG about certain specific statements he makes. He denies and belittles the importance of the rare person of grand awareness and the wise in particular. He is thus quite easily characterized in terms of his worldview and personality (to me) as a left wing academic. He is first a chaos apologist and only then an order apologist within that frame.
Perhaps I'm sorta self-centered, but I see this guy, whom I don't know, as a TED speaker who if he's a left wing academic, I don't take seriously. I'm not going to speak to him so I take what I see he said ias a useful positive idea and skip the rest.

ALL human progress is made by either miraculous and extremely rare accidents of intense observation, or more often by great individuals taking in all the awareness of the day and forming a transcendent pattern of conjecture (projecting a new theory) that is a singleton resting on a loose skeleton of past pretenders to the same theory. So yes, even these great philosophers and scientists are still working with others, but those others are elites already in terms of personal functionality/state. Finally the emergent idea, the new facet of nearer truth, WILL emerge. Evolution almost guarantees it. The signal is there, and the march to perfection and all the sacrifices of failure along that path are inexorable. Even if the Earth is doomed next year by some freak cosmic accident, it technically matters not.
It is a pleasure to hear from you series0. Carry on.

Love remains the only conclusion and elsewhere in the cosmos, another chain of evolution is parallel to this one, despite all its differences. Truth is objective. So, we have faith in this pattern. It happens everywhere, as a law of the universe. Failed paths are part of the risk. And all of humanity could be such a failed path (see the Fermi paradox) and this ... ok.
Love is us. Let it be. I looked up "Fermi's Paradox". My reaction is not to reason about this where I have little information. If we have to worry about other civilizations, alien, first I wonder about this one. That we already exist kind of begs the question about particular existences. If we weren't here, and something else existed, we cheat by asking questions we cannot answer when other forms of existence can't even ask the question.

So, his presentation is interesting, but his depth and examination of the counter theories to his own are exceedingly weak.

Nature has ensured that the flat earth society exists. Someone must be a order based traditional doubter of all new belief that lags way behind the others. The longer the lag (eg the greater the length of time and belief that is doubted) the more stable overall humanity will be. If we all bought Luis Vitton bags in lockstep with the prosperity and taste delusions, we would end up lemmings that jumped off a cliff very soon. The doubters MUST exist and their seemingly ridiculous doubt MUST be cherished, not made too much fun of. It is an anchor to what is known from the past, the fear, the healthy doubt. If we drink the Kool Aid of charisma, we will deny reality and lose our anchor.
I don't belong to the Flat Earth Society, but there is evidence around me the Earth IS flat. It's not that I need be in denial, it's just that I don't HAVE to look beyond what is around me. If new information arrives, I may not bother to be around to see it. If wisdom is a GOOD thing to aim for, as I believe you say, who is to say that wisdom is always wise?

His first left leaning and then scientist order fix cloak can be wielded as an unwise deception (which is how ultimately I see this piece). Beware the glib assertion that you are like everyone and you alone cannot know. It smacks of the lack of self worthiness of chaos and desire.
I am like everyone, but I don' t know that. It is more likely that if it resides in my brain and I see you don't quite see it, that I may believe myself unique and therefore I alone know.

·
Registered
Nemophilist
2,514 Posts
Once, I read a story about someone’s first experience with inhaling ether. They said after a few seconds, suddenly the veil lifted and they understood the nature of reality - overcome with joy, they hurriedly scribbled the profound truth on a napkin nearby before they slipped into unconsciousness.

The next morning, they woke, and remembering the gates of the universe had opened up to them for one small moment, they rushed to look at the napkin. And it was written:

“The smell of ether permeates throughout.”

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can't recall a specific time that I messed up from being too sincere to another person. However, I have messed my own self up from being too sincere with myself. For example, I was once scouted by a modeling agency. It actually turned out to be a legitimate agency and not a scam. However, I worried so much about it being a scam (cause that's the truth- there are a lot of modeling scams out there). I also thought to myself, what are the chances at succeeding as a model. Also, my town is too insignificant for modeling (my city has almost no opportunities for modeling and hardly any clothing companies), so there is no point in signing to an agency in this area. Plus, I thought to myself, I don't have the right "look", I'm too short, etc. And, I was still in high school and I thought it would be hard to get my parent to drive me over there. So I just never took the opportunity. I thought to myself, this is what's true. It's true that my area is bad for modeling, it's true that I don't have the right look for modeling, it's true that it would be hard to get my parent to drive me, etc. However, I shouldn't have focused so much on the "real truth." I should have just taken the opportunity and just try to see what happens. Even if it didn't work out, nothing bad would have happened.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Truth and honesty are distinct issues. Being honest doesn't mean you're telling the objective truth. More often than not, people aren't telling the truth, only their subjective perspective as perceived through their internal lens. There's a reason why witnesses to crimes are notoriously unreliable.

With the above in mind, do people feel they have the right to subject people to their subjective 'truths'?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts