Personality Cafe banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Lost? Loss?
I don’t define it that way.

If I said the truth and things went south from that point on then that’s not a loss, cause I was just dealing with someone who disrespects reality and fails to accept it.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Truth and honesty are distinct issues. Being honest doesn't mean you're telling the objective truth. More often than not, people aren't telling the truth, only their subjective perspective as perceived through their internal lens. There's a reason why witnesses to crimes are notoriously unreliable.
I was aware of this since a very young age, which allows me to assess the range of perception a person has at a specific moment in time. There are several tactics involved to figure out their mental landscape, one being the Socratic method. If I were to realize that there are aspects they know that I don't, I'd want to learn from them, however if these aspects act as barriers that shield them from realizing something that'd be too inconvenient for them, in most cases I'd proceed to break the barrier. However if I sense too many very basic barriers that chain them into a very specific worldview and belief system, I wouldn't even bother.

·
Premium Member
INFP
4,044 Posts
You should never be 100% sincere, that would get most of us in trouble. Sincerity doesn't necessarily mean clarity or perceptiveness. For example, we should not be completely sincere about things we don't thoroughly understand, or at least grasp to a fair extent, then we just come across as fools to our audience. At the same time, your audience may lack the proper experience or understanding to fully digest what you're saying, and so the communication breaks apart and fails. Being a good communicator is about understanding your information, but also understanding your audience. Think of how differently you would convey information to 2-year-old, versus a teenager, versus an adult. The subtleties make all the difference.

Rather than your "true" self, aim to be your "best" self.

Reactions: Penny

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You should never be 100% sincere, that would get most of us in trouble. Sincerity doesn't necessarily mean clarity or perceptiveness. For example, we should not be completely sincere about things we don't thoroughly understand, or at least grasp to a fair extent, then we just come across as fools to our audience. At the same time, your audience may lack the proper experience or understanding to fully digest what you're saying, and so the communication breaks apart and fails. Being a good communicator is about understanding your information, but also understanding your audience. Think of how differently you would convey information to 2-year-old, versus a teenager, versus an adult. The subtleties make all the difference.

Rather than your "true" self, aim to be your "best" self.
Considering all the pettiness and spite in Spam World where you reside the majority of time, do you feel you're being your 'best' self? Or is this one of those 'do as I say and not what I do' things?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Lose because I was too honest? Nah. If they don't like the truth, that's on THEM, not me. I'll do my best to not be cruel about it, but if you didn't want me to be honest, why did you ask?

My future ex wife once asked me if she looked fat in the jeans she was wearing. I looked her in the eyes and said:

"Darling, you look so good in those jeans, I am tempted to rip them off you and ravage you right here!" Complete and utter honesty.
Yeah. What's the purpose behind revealing the truth? Did they ask to be exposed? You are close enough to them? It all must be considered. Sure, honesty is cool. But cruelty is not.

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
It's chan-lite and not entertaining, the majority of time. But then the chans aren't funny most of the time either.
Excuse me for being stupid here…
What the hell is chan-lite?

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
Reactions: mia-me
21 - 30 of 30 Posts