Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No I didn’t intend this to be a huge emofest about losing all the love and meaning in my life except for maybe the fact that my ipod is a good substitution for that and I seem to misplace everything I touch!!!! I’ve lost my ipod several times but this instance I fear it’s not even somewhere in the house. Whywhywhywhyyholyfuckkk. -fist to bowel- :mad: Today I also left my glasses somewhere in the library and luckily someone handed it into lost property :/ It drives my SJ parents up the wall and I feel kind of bad bc they’re always helping me look for things. When I’m relieved to find something important like my savings card under a pile of socks and undies, I’ll commit to trying to be more organised ‘from now on’ but it only lasts for like three minutes then I’ll go back to daydreaming and not paying much attention to my surroundings and where I put things. :/ Anyone else relate to having extremely inconvenient sensotardation?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Oh god, I need to make a mental catalogue of what I have on me whenever I leave the apartment.

And I still forget things.

I forgot a sweater inside a coffee shop on a cold night in winter.

I know, I'm not proud of it either.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm constantly checking my pockets before I go anywhere to make sure I have everything.

When I was a kid, I'd constantly leave my keys at home - which left me waiting outside for 3 hours. Sucked on rainy/cold days.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I notice most Ni doms I have known in my life have this problem. Some have figured out ways to deal with it and some have not.

I used to loose my purse all the time, but now I never take it off when I am out. I got one where the strap goes across the body so I don't have to fumble with it all the time. I play pool with it on and everything.

I used to lock my keys in my car so I had to make the habit of always locking it from the outside with the key as opposed to locking it from the inside then shutting the door.

I used to leave the lights of my car on all the time, but now I have a car that has high pitched beep that goes off if you take the key out of the ignition while the lights are on.

The entire time I was growing up I could not for the life of me remember to get any school permission forms signed by my parents... I still have trouble with any form of paper work.

When I am deep in though I find it hard to notice my surroundings. I am almost always deep in thought. Anything I notice will be pertinent to what I am thinking about at the time. If I need to remember something, the only way to not get distracted and go off in thought in my own mind, is to repeat the thing over and over in my head until I can right it down or do it. That is one the most difficult things to do, it is the opposite of fun or interesting, and takes all the concentration and determination I can muster.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The same way I have to put a schedule into certain things like time of lunch, time of dinner.. in order to not forget or get lost, I do it also for things I own. I always put my keys in the same spot, underwear, scissors, shoes...

One time I was on a boat and had a cake at their restaurant. I put my wallet on the table (I think I was looking for a card). After I ate my cake, I just ran off.. :crazy: leaving my wallet also on the table. Then after sitting down somewhere, I heard this announcement.. "My name??? Who is calling me??" So I go to the main office and they had it. I didn't even notice I lost it ... I just stood there for a minute stunned, in disbelief. I had like so much money in there, the two captains(?) were laughing

·
Registered
836 Posts
i was awful as a child. i lost things all the time.

now im pretty good, but only due to complete focus.

cell phone. keys. wallet. cell phone. keys. wallet. *repeat each time you leave your car, work, home, a restaurant, etc.*

i also write tons of post-its reminding me of appts, lines of thought, tasks, etc.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I used to be like that and at some times I still do but I've tried to get into a routine of where I put everything. I have a hook on my wall where I put my keys, if they're not their they're either in my pants pocket or in the back door. I try to make sure to empty my pockets every time I do the wash and every time I go out I pat down my pants to make sure I have everything, leaving places I always double check. I still find myself losing my phone and wallet xD

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have this problem too. I am constantly forgetting or loosing things. Plus, I day dream a ton and seem absent minded.

Reactions: BlissfulDreams

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I notice most Ni doms I have known in my life have this problem. Some have figured out ways to deal with it and some have not.

I used to loose my purse all the time, but now I never take it off when I am out. I got one where the strap goes across the body so I don't have to fumble with it all the time. I play pool with it on and everything.

I used to lock my keys in my car so I had to make the habit of always locking it from the outside with the key as opposed to locking it from the inside then shutting the door.

I used to leave the lights of my car on all the time, but now I have a car that has high pitched beep that goes off if you take the key out of the ignition while the lights are on.

The entire time I was growing up I could not for the life of me remember to get any school permission forms signed by my parents... I still have trouble with any form of paper work.

When I am deep in though I find it hard to notice my surroundings. I am almost always deep in thought. Anything I notice will be pertinent to what I am thinking about at the time. If I need to remember something, the only way to not get distracted and go off in thought in my own mind, is to repeat the thing over and over in my head until I can right it down or do it. That is one the most difficult things to do, it is the opposite of fun or interesting, and takes all the concentration and determination I can muster.
I think it might be an N thing in general. I'm an INTP and I relate to most of this.

I'm terrible about leaving my purse behind in places. When going out to eat somewhere, I can't just set the purse to the side of me or I'll likely forget it. What does work is to put it in my lap. That way when I leave the table, I'll be able to feel and hear it drop.

I do the same thing as you to prevent locking my keys in the car. I used to have a major problem losing car keys. I have to always put them in the same place, no excuses. Having a system in place works well.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I actualy don't think it's an N thing (although possibly), but actually more of a Ti thing. I would imagine an INTJ (Te) might remember where he left things in his environment better than Ti users.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts