Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only in high school and 95% of my friends I've met in middle school and such and I have a few friends and a good amount of acquaintances. So I'm happy but in terms of really good friends I think I'm really lacking. I've drifted apart from people I used to talk a lot to it seems like.

My best friend I would say we talk enough (school is starting so that will change for the better) but my other friend I was really good friends with has totally drifted apart from about February or so. We've been friends for 3 years or so and we talked and hanged out a lot. We also are in orchestra and play guitar too. So in February we we're out with friends and she was "sharing gum" (virtually kissing) with our friend (girl) and her friend (not friends with him and he's a jerk too), I was the only one who didn't share it... so the next day she tells me she really liked virtually making out with him and a few days later they start going out. I was absolutely shocked. He's the last person I could ever see her dating. He's lazy, rude to me and a lot of people, bad at school (he was almost failing chinese class, I was in his class), while she is nice, talented, and get's almost all A's. So he keeps harassing me to stop bugging about their relationship (I wasn't doing anything), sent very nasty messages to me for a few weeks, and I didn't talk to her for a while. We didn't talk much at all for a while and we haven't hanged out other than school since they started dating. I messaged her saying your relationship is completely splitting us apart, and she agreed and wanted to try to be friends again. We still talk now but it's not the same, we don't talk nearly as much as we used to and never hang out out of school. It seems my best friend is the only person I ever confide in, and during the summer we talk only like every 3-4 days or so. She's still dating him and he's not mean to me anymore but nothing is the same... I wish it was like old times...

Long story but does anyone else want to share? I don't make "best friends" fast at all so when I lose one it's very sad.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It seems when you graduate high school, friends just go poof.
My good friends in middle school were my friends in high school now we barley talk.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems when you graduate high school, friends just go poof.
My good friends in middle school were my friends in high school now we barley talk.
Once your somewhere new they always do that... hahaha. A lot of times you meet someone just as good or better though. But it sucks when you lose them.

I think I'm lucky to be introverted, I don't need a ton of friends.

Reactions: nikkii

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Get used to it, because it's something that happens routinely throughout life. Consider yourself lucky if you have one good friendship that lasts throughout your life, most people won't have even that.

I've moved around a lot in the past few years, and friendships go poof all the time for me. In my senior year of HS we moved to a different state, so I lost my friends there (there weren't many anyway), spent senior year at a new HS. When that was over, those friends dissolved. Went to college, made new friends. Spent a semester in England and most of my friendships at college dissolved. My friendships in England dissolved once I left. Spent the following semester in Germany, same story. Came back for my senior year in college, hung out with the few friends whose relationships with me didn't entirely dissolve (but it was harder to relate to them), made some new friends as well. Graduated. Those friendships dissolved. List gets longer.

It's left me with a remarkably dim outlook on the concept of friendship in general. At best, friendships are mostly a matter of convenience - strictly speaking, you can only really be good friends with people who are near and/or accessible, and usually the people you associate with aren't a prime example of what you'd want in a friend, but they just happen to be there.

The more extroverted people I know/have known will become facebook addicts to try and keep in contact with people they used to know, but I don't see the point.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another friend I used to hang out a ton like avoids me or is obsessed since I told him I was an atheist (probably a few months ago?) I was christian until the beginning of this year or so but even with friend my beliefs have to be shut out or I face some kind of bigotry.

He's catholic and I was one. So I commented with "haha maybe you are meant to be jewish" on his facebook on something about finding something with a stain like the star of david and he said:

"You have no religion yourself, so butt out"

and he's tried to convert me before... I just told him I was atheist like a month ago. And the comment was serious too.

oh and the other friend WAS an atheist, so that was a welcome from that hehehe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts