Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be amusing to reference faith in my thread title, after reading BlackCoffee's thread about Typology and Magic.

However, I am deadly serious about something. I just haven't figured out what it is yet (I'll have to get back to you on that).

I've noticed that in the past couple years, I've been caring about Typology less and less (and that goes for the Cognitive Whatever as well).

More and more I find myself asking: What good is this doing me?

A: Very little.

On the one hand, I can look at someone who is a mystery to me and understand the essence of them in the blink of an eye - or rather, perceive to understand the essence of them, regardless of whether I actually do.

It can make me more forgiving of personality quirks, "Joe is probably like that because he's an [insert type here]. It's nothing personal."

On the other hand, it can make me more likely to assume that I know/understand someone when I don't. And it can be a way to keep people at arm's length, while feeling like I don't need to get to know them because I already understand their core personality.

I hope you can see the problem here: I have always had trouble with getting to know people and typology is a way to help keep them at arm's length. In other words, typology can validate, and support, pre-existing problems.

Sometimes I see typology being used to validate prejudice (there's a reason we have a "no typism" rule here) - how much do you want to bet that most of those people started out prejudiced and use typology as a way to validate their prejudice?

There's a lesson here that has nothing to do with typology itself and everything to do with us - the people who use it. I'm not suggesting that typology is a problem, but rather that examining how we utilize typology in our own lives can be a window into issues that we are dealing with.

For some, it might be prejudice. For others, it might be (like me) a way to keep people at arm's length. For still more others, it may be something else entirely.

What do you see it reflecting in your life? Is it positive? Negative? Both? Share to your heart's content. Or don't. One of the two.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I did become prejudiced, navel-gazing and even more withdrawn when I initially learned about the MBTI. Years later, I now use it as a tool to understand others, to consider and incorporate alternative cognitive perspectives into my thinking and to enhance my communication and relationships with others. Things make sense to me now that probably would not have made sense to me otherwise. I am more versatile and engaged with the world and I am a lot happier too, and those are huge positives.

I do have my disenchanted moments when I log in here and see excuses being made based on type, biased posts being thanked and threads that chatter endlessly about type theory when people should be spending more time outside and having actual experiences. But that isn't how I like to use the theory and so I don't use it that way. I take the best parts and leave the rest.

No, type theory has not cured my bad habits, anxieties or anything else psychologically related. But it has given me a better understanding of myself and others to help me in my therapy for getting outside my shell, being more comfortable around people and getting to know them better. And now that I've engaged some of my lesser functions, I can totally see why some things I thought were stupid are fun to some people (and now to me too).

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The primary use of all of these type systems are to understand *ourselves*. Become more self-aware of our strengths and weaknesses, and put them inside a general system for us to monitor and work on them.

Honestly, when I just learned about all of this, I started reading about it so much I started thinking in types. It was fascinating at first, but that clearly wasn't a good thing to do. As you said, it lost its "magic" for me, and I stopped thinking about it altogether.

Came back just a few days ago to continue where I left off. I'm using MBTI and such for myself, not for others. And there's no reason to do otherwise, because it is merely a tool to better understand ourselves after we already know us.

It could be a different case if we were trained psychologists, but we're not (well most of us at least).

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
What do you see it reflecting in your life? Is it positive? Negative? Both? Share to your heart's content. Or don't. One of the two.
It's a curiosity and sometimes a conversation catalyst but that's all it is. There are many more things in life that I put my faith in over typology. You've only got to hang out on a typology forum for a short while to realise that a type isn't concrete and cognitive functions are just handy descriptors for commonly understood concepts. Getting along with one XXXX letter coded person is no guarantee you'll get long with them all. Commonalities between people can be found in many different systems and at the end of the day, I think much of it is just a case of creating a filter to confirm a preconceived idea.

As I said, curiousity not more than that.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think the key is, once you learn it, just drop it and go on with your life. Who here hasn't been caught in an asymmetrical relationship? It's really one of the weirdest things ever. I bet a lot of the times when you see two people arguing, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their fighting, it's because the two are engaged in an asymmetrical relationship. I have been in situations where I was the benefactor or supervisor to professors who had Ph.d's and were in their 50's. I've also been on the receiving end of it. It feels like when you're in a dream and you're being chased by someone but you can't move your legs or everything you're doing is in slow motion.

Knowledge is power. Now that I know this thing actually has a name, and how it functions, I should be able to knock it aside when it happens. Recently while participating in the forum, a user who was of a type that was my supervisor relations affected me (although they didn't know it. benefactors and supervisors usually don't know the effect they have on their... victims). It bothered me for a couple hours, then using what I knew, was able to step out of it. In the future I should be able to step out of it quicker instead of letting it control me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personality/Typology analysis is something I do on the side when I'm not fully engaged in a conversation, as I see it as a means of distraction, something to think about when there's not much else to think about. It's food for thought and for ADHD.

I've used it for speculation, but I'm not for certain I would go as far as labeling it as prejudice.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts

And yes, it does seem to be full of holes. However, getting to know how others operate (not type-wise, just in general) is quite valuable, so I wouldn't call it a waste of time. I do have to tone down my time on this forum though, it's getting in the way of my work.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
@LostFavor, mon amie, it is not the tool, it's how you use it. If you agree the tool is in any way useful, then it's all on you after that point. Choose to use it wisely.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what to do with it either. I learned both my MBTI type and my enneatype and now...what?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@LostFavor

Finding the best fit type requires an in depth analysis of cognitive preferences, otherwise it is unreliable. How do you manage to do that on more than a select few people?g
Me personally? I gotta be honest, a lot of it is guesswork based on impressions. Sometimes I take the time to go through process of elimination, especially if it's somebody I know well. Otherwise, I often have a guess, but little more than that.

I don't know many peoples' type with confidence. I do "know" a lot based on a guess (if you can really call that "know").

Sometimes it will jump out at me in a way that's hard to ignore; I'll see the same essence in Unknown Person A that I see in Confirmed Person B.

For example, there's one guy I'm acquainted with, who I'm pretty sure is either an ISTP or an ENTJ, but sometimes I see the essence of one and sometimes I see the essence of the other. It's hard to pinpoint one way or the other with him based on the limited exposure I have to the guy.

·
Registered
993 Posts
hmmmmm i think that typology doesn't lie to me...... i mean most of the stereotypes are true.......

i mean even if it doesn't seem true for some people in the end it it is true.

like for example NT's/ST's usually in the end will still be cold people, they may be capable of kindness and warmth on the outside. but in the end (ultimately) they will still be cold..... (assuming you know they are NT's/ST's)

it just doesn't lie to you....... i don't understand why you distrust something that doesn't lie to you......

i used to be steering in the wrong direction in my whole life....... like doing the things other people liked and then be confused about why i don't like it as much as others people do......./ other things etc......

with the jungian theory/ mbti i can fully understand myself and what i like and what i don't like. another things etc....

@Ixim what now? well ? apply it to my life.

i know what dating partners to look for. i know what job ill prob be getting. i know what the stuff that i'll probably enjoy, instead of going through trial and error with a million things , i can narrow it down to certain types of activities that i will probably enjoy.

so many things........

·
Banned
2,715 Posts
that's good. I've seen some clowns using the theory to analyse people's behaviour instead of some good old fashioned common sense, and it just ends up flying off of what's actually going on. I think circumstances are more important than conjecturing about someone's thinking process. I get this same impression from people who are ridiculously knowledgeable about music theory but can't play an instrument worth a shit; don't know how to utilise what they've learnt.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
hmmmmm i think that typology doesn't lie to me...... i mean most of the stereotypes are true.......

i mean even if it doesn't seem true for some people in the end it it is true.

like for example NT's/ST's usually in the end will still be cold people, they may be capable of kindness and warmth on the outside. but in the end (ultimately) they will still be cold..... (assuming you know they are NT's/ST's)

it just doesn't lie to you....... i don't understand why you distrust something that doesn't lie to you......

i used to be steering in the wrong direction in my whole life....... like doing the things other people liked and then be confused about why i don't like it as much as others people do......./ other things etc......

with the jungian theory/ mbti i can fully understand myself and what i like and what i don't like. another things etc....

@Ixim what now? well ? apply it to my life.

i know what dating partners to look for. i know what job ill prob be getting. i know what the stuff that i'll probably enjoy, instead of going through trial and error with a million things , i can narrow it down to certain types of activities that i will probably enjoy.

so many things........
Agreed, that was my idea anyhow. But I won't use stereotypes. And that's that.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I thought it would be amusing to reference faith in my thread title, after reading BlackCoffee's thread about Typology and Magic.

However, I am deadly serious about something. I just haven't figured out what it is yet (I'll have to get back to you on that).

I've noticed that in the past couple years, I've been caring about Typology less and less (and that goes for the Cognitive Whatever as well).

More and more I find myself asking: What good is this doing me?

A: Very little.

On the one hand, I can look at someone who is a mystery to me and understand the essence of them in the blink of an eye - or rather, perceive to understand the essence of them, regardless of whether I actually do.

It can make me more forgiving of personality quirks, "Joe is probably like that because he's an [insert type here]. It's nothing personal."

On the other hand, it can make me more likely to assume that I know/understand someone when I don't. And it can be a way to keep people at arm's length, while feeling like I don't need to get to know them because I already understand their core personality.

I hope you can see the problem here: I have always had trouble with getting to know people and typology is a way to help keep them at arm's length. In other words, typology can validate, and support, pre-existing problems.

Sometimes I see typology being used to validate prejudice (there's a reason we have a "no typism" rule here) - how much do you want to bet that most of those people started out prejudiced and use typology as a way to validate their prejudice?

There's a lesson here that has nothing to do with typology itself and everything to do with us - the people who use it. I'm not suggesting that typology is a problem, but rather that examining how we utilize typology in our own lives can be a window into issues that we are dealing with.

For some, it might be prejudice. For others, it might be (like me) a way to keep people at arm's length. For still more others, it may be something else entirely.

Apostate!!! I think a lynching is in order.

ha, but if it don't help, just drop it. It is so obvious to me of its usefulness though. There is NO denying the commonalities in each types' subforums from the members. Actual people (for me at least). And I've found it useful, very useful, in understanding different personality types IRL, mostly those very close to me, friends, lovers, people I have to work with. But ultimately, I don't think about it much outside this forum. I do, but it's just to get a GENERAL idea of how one's mind works.

No system can define a human soul......but this one, for me, has come the closest so far.

·
Registered
993 Posts
So similar(even the same type) yet so different. This only reinforces this branch of psychology.

EDIT @Ixim : after going to your profile and seeing some of your other post, and seeing how you type. you might actually be an ENFP.......

ISFP's just don't have the urge to express their words in such complexity as you do...... i mean even if they are very intelligent they just don't express their message like that.......

i see your other posts and they seem to be screaming Ne.........(ENFP and ISFP can be very similar in writing style and self expression . but most of the time you can clearly tell the difference)

anyways, if you say you are an ISFP, then i guess that's fair game....... just that i don't really think you are. everything just seems a bit sketchy.

btw when i said "very well, each to their own. " i have to admit it was a kinda forced. i did get irritated for your comment but for manner's sake i resisted my urge to act irritated lol.

·
Banned
1,102 Posts
Yeah, once I realized that my belief in function theory was based on faith, I dropped it. I don't want to put myself or others in boxes unless I'm certain that the boxes exist.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
EDIT @Ixim : after going to your profile and seeing some of your other post, and seeing how you type. you might actually be an ENFP.......

ISFP's just don't have the urge to express their words in such complexity as you do...... i mean even if they are very intelligent they just don't express their message like that.......

i see your other posts and they seem to be screaming Ne.........(ENFP and ISFP can be very similar in writing style and self expression . but most of the time you can clearly tell the difference)

anyways, if you say you are an ISFP, then i guess that's fair game....... just that i don't really think you are. everything just seems a bit sketchy.

btw when i said "very well, each to their own. " i have to admit it was a kinda forced. i did get irritated for your comment but for manner's sake i resisted my urge to act irritated lol.
It's actually the type I came from. Just the one. Aha, there is this thing. Are you basing your FiSe view on MBTI or on Jung or on Socio or on all of those? There is this as you aptly put it "similitude, but most of the time you can tell the difference between those systems".

1 - 20 of 86 Posts