Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently, I've been examining my perception of time and the difficulties associated with an inherent, loose grip on reality. As I can only use personal experiences to a limited degree -- or run the risk of user bias obscuring palpable results -- I want to ask the INTJ community its opinion on the topic(s) of perception of time and/or personal degree of differentiation between reality and the non-real.
Obviously, I understand respective perspectives can differ tremendously and not necessarily involve -- or pertain to -- the same situations I have experienced and continue to experience; I ask only for honest presentations given to the extent of the respondent's(s') ability or desired divulgence so that I may come to a more accurate and succinct conclusion

Factors to note:
-Chronic, dual type ADHD
-Chronic Anxiety Disorder

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
When I'm 'in the zone' aka in the state of flow, I can easily lose track of time. For example, I'm researching something of interest or starting a programming problem, 4-6 hours can easily go by.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not sure what you're looking for. But if I think of a nice story before going to sleep like "How humans could take control of the universe in a Mass Effect-like Universe". "First contacts with aliens", etc... I can go to sleep at 10:00 PM and at 2:00 am I'm still trying to take control of everything step by step. I plan, I send my troops to do the job. Contact with the enemies to make some sort of alliance. Then treachery, it goes on and on.

But other than that. Like having a blackout or something and finding myself somewhere and I don't know what happened. It doesn't happen naturally. It did that one time while I was on drug in a violent and quite physical incident. I think it's cause by anger. It's some of protection our brain does to protect our psyche. You just have to stay calm, life is cool, ok the guy just walked on my lawn. He'll live, no problem. He walked again. OH SHIT MOTHERFUCKER!!!! BLACKOUT :p

Reactions: Brixby Jones

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Umm I didn't get what you want to be replied actually :p
I'm asking for you to give me an example of your perception of time and reality as you see it: the purpose of this is provide me with an alternate, external perspective to compare my own with.

Examples:
-Do you often notice you can't keep track of time throughout each subsequent day?
-What do you see when your mind wanders?
a. Does what you imagine ever bleed over into situations outside your mind?
b. Does the process of free thought/tangent thought affect your ability to keep track of time?
-Can you easily differentiate reality/external world from your world/internal constructs?

Etceteras.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
@Brixby Jones

Alright,
1/Time... I only notice it when I'm doing a test and there's 5 MINUTES LEFT, LESS THAN A MINUTE! WOAH WHEN DID IT PASS?!!
Or when I'm with a friend and I'm having a really good time and some of us has to leave so I tend to wish I could pause the time and live those moments longer yet I get a little bit sad.
So other than those, I never wear a watch as I don't remember to look at it. Seriously, it makes people wanna kill me when I say that I forgot to check the time.

2/Imagination... it definitely swallows my time. Until high school, where I had to learn subjects that I disliked, I always ended up wasting my time escaping from the reality into a land of future possibilities and scenarios, almost anything unrelated with the studies.
There isn't something specific to wonder/think/imagine about. There are a lot of things, in the end I'm in introverted person. Most of my time has passed in my inner world. Also my private thinking and reasoning happen the same way, for I don't speak something which I'm not completely definite about.

3/Reality...No, once I'm into the non-real I can't easily distinguish the reality and the unreal. Probably because I's be either stressed or completely passionate about what I'm into. Once I snap out of it, whatever that I was imagining or living looses it's value.

I hope that I replied for what you've asked.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@Brixby Jones

Alright,
1/Time... I only notice it when I'm doing a test and there's 5 MINUTES LEFT, LESS THAN A MINUTE! WOAH WHEN DID IT PASS?!!
Or when I'm with a friend and I'm having a really good time and some of us has to leave so I tend to wish I could pause the time and live those moments longer yet I get a little bit sad.
So other than those, I never wear a watch as I don't remember to look at it. Seriously, it makes people wanna kill me when I say that I forgot to check the time.

2/Imagination... it definitely swallows my time. Until high school, where I had to learn subjects that I disliked, I always ended up wasting my time escaping from the reality into a land of future possibilities and scenarios, almost anything unrelated with the studies.
There isn't something specific to wonder/think/imagine about. There are a lot of things, in the end I'm in introverted person. Most of my time has passed in my inner world. Also my private thinking and reasoning happen the same way, for I don't speak something which I'm not completely definite about.

3/Reality...No, once I'm into the non-real I can't easily distinguish the reality and the unreal. Probably because I's be either stressed or completely passionate about what I'm into. Once I snap out of it, whatever that I was imagining or living looses it's value.

I hope that I replied for what you've asked.
You've done splendidly, thank you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
-Do you often notice you can't keep track of time throughout each subsequent day?
Not really, most days I have a solid internal sense of time. However, when I get in the Zone and really dive into a book, series or thought process I can lose hours.
-What do you see when your mind wanders?
I mostly see either my own self in possible futures, or completely made up fictional scenarios in which I play no part.
a. Does what you imagine ever bleed over into situations outside your mind?
Not often, though I can anticipate conversations and meetings and work out what will happen sometimes.
b. Does the process of free thought/tangent thought affect your ability to keep track of time?
The more free thought I allow, the looser my grip on the linear time stream that most of humanity uses to organize their lives.
-Can you easily differentiate reality/external world from your world/internal constructs?
Yes, I can. I go into my head only in secure, isolated areas so I know that anything outside those few rooms will always be reality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.