Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow INFP's, I frequent this forum and notice you give great advice and would love if you could give me some, I don't really get helpful advice in my real life.

I'm 24 years old going on 25 very soon, and like many INFP's go through, I'm not sure what to do with my life. I currently work at a food joint, was in College for 2 years part-time, and would like to go back and get a Associate's Degree in Allied Health, but I struggled with school, and like that saying College isn't for everyone, the saying fits me. The thing that matters to me is making a decent pay, I've also thought about doing vocational training, but I have to do something meaningful, no matter what it is that comes through my mind, I have this core that I am meant to help those in need. I have thought I could just choose a career I could enjoy, and outside of work, volunteer my time with those in need. The problem I guess I have is that I'm too idealistic, I have been facing this problem for years on not making a decision. Any advice from y'all would be appreciated and helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Maybe just try to get a diploma in something related to the medical field and that may not be as hard or take as long as an actual degree. Its hard deciding

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I'll tell you what has helped me, and I'm sorry if people reading this have heard it a million times from me... but it's important to me. Volunteering at a crisis line was the biggest, most life changing gift I have ever given to myself. Learning how to use that desire I have to help others and understand them has been a great reward. It sounds like you feel similarly. I highly suggest finding somewhere to volunteer where you are one on one with someone who is struggling in some way. Whether it's on an anonymous phone line or helping at a homeless or women's shelter. Or doing advocacy for sexual assault survivors. Or helping at a center for grieving children. There are all kinds of places like this that often operate on volunteer help. This kind of stuff is absolutely needed in any community and it should relatively easy to find such a place (I would hope).

It's a time commitment, so hopefully that will be ok with you. For example, at the crisis line, I volunteer anywhere between 4-8 hours a week on the phones. Then, when they are having a training, I will be there for 35 hours in one week, training people. But it's totally worth it. You not only help others, but you learn a hell of a lot about yourself and the world. You gain confidence, too. It becomes easier to talk to strangers. You come to realize that you really can connect with anyone if you try. And everyone suffers at some point. It doesn't mean you're weak or dumb. It's part of being human. We are all in it together. Plus, as an INFP, I crave deep conversations that are meaningful. Without such conversations, my life feels dull and aimless. And I can tell you that at the crisis line, you get your fill of deep conversations and your soul feels good!

So yeah, volunteering is a great way to feel like you are making a difference in someone's life and to add meaning to your own.

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts
You seem interested in the health field - what about things like Nursing Assistant, or something like that? The person who sees you in at a clinic, and takes your blood, etc? Or operates the machines?

Hello fellow INFP's, I frequent this forum and notice you give great advice and would love if you could give me some, I don't really get helpful advice in my real life.

I'm 24 years old going on 25 very soon, and like many INFP's go through, I'm not sure what to do with my life. I currently work at a food joint, was in College for 2 years part-time, and would like to go back and get a Associate's Degree in Allied Health, but I struggled with school, and like that saying College isn't for everyone, the saying fits me. The thing that matters to me is making a decent pay, I've also thought about doing vocational training, but I have to do something meaningful, no matter what it is that comes through my mind, I have this core that I am meant to help those in need. I have thought I could just choose a career I could enjoy, and outside of work, volunteer my time with those in need. The problem I guess I have is that I'm too idealistic, I have been facing this problem for years on not making a decision. Any advice from y'all would be appreciated and helpful, thanks.
Really I think ethylester 's idea of volunteering at a crisis hotline would help to fill that need for you to help others.

There are all sorts of community-based places you could go to help out people: I'll list a few I can think of without much effort.

If you're spiritual/religious, perhaps a local mosque/church/synagogue would welcome an assistant to do stuff?

Maybe working at a retirement home? I don't know what they're called but apparently there are some who come in (students i think?) and spend time with the elderly talking to them and reading to them, etc. One can learn a lot from an old person and most would likely want to talk about their lives.

Maybe working at a local YMCA or other such community area with children may help.

There's also volunteering at a food bank or homeless shelter.

Finally you could also consider abuse hotlines or reform agencies (those places people go to to rehabilitate from drugs, etc).

I didn't know if you meant you wanted to help people as your career, or to use the career to basically finance your volunteer efforts, though. If you're interested in trades you could do plumbing, or be an electrician or carpenter, or a mechanic something along those lines, and use that money to finance your volunteer work.

Oh and that's another one - being a bartender. People say they end up doing a lot of listening to others and counselling those who are down on their luck.

Best of luck either way :).

·
Banned
656 Posts
The problem I guess I have is that I'm too idealistic, I have been facing this problem for years on not making a decision. Any advice from y'all would be appreciated and helpful, thanks.
Maybe you should try to be more realistic then. Or find a balance between your ideals and what you think is actually realizable.
How about enter a vocational school that's in the healthcare system? Like a pharmacy or dental technician program!

Who knows...maybe if you're lucky you'll meet some dreamy doctor, fall in love, get married, and never have to work again!

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
Social work is also great. Especially at hospitals and other places where people need assistance and moral support. Or you could become a counselor. Work with kids.... I know it might be draining, but I think INFPs (as well as INFJs) are WONDERFUL with kids.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I knew an amazing person who worked for a company that provided care for terminally ill people. When my mom was dying of cancer & losing her ability to do anything, this person helped her get through the last months of her life when family couldn't always be there. We got to know her well. At one point this girl was homeless. Living in her car. Now she's making decent money with decent benefits. It can be emotionally stressfull for some. She's one of those who gets through it but still connects with people so well. Just another idea to think about. Also, college doesn't have to be right now. I went back in my 30's. Grades went from GPA 1.9 to 4.0.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You seem interested in the health field - what about things like Nursing Assistant, or something like that? The person who sees you in at a clinic, and takes your blood, etc? Or operates the machines?
Actually I went through a course to become a Certified Nursing Assistant, and then had plans to become a RN. I did clinicals in a nursing home, and I did recieve my certification, but after that I realized in that setting it was depressing, especially the way I saw some CNA's treated the patients, I didn't see abuse, but the way they treated the patients was not caring at all. :(

But I still wanted to give it a chance, so I volunteered at a hospital to see what it was like in that setting. This was not really depressing as I didn't come across patients really, but I realized this wouldn't work either. I went on the 4th floor and there were so many nurses surrounding an front desk, went right back into the elevator, after this experience, I realized I prefer one-on-one instead of being around many people and having many patients to deal with.

Lately I have thought about being a caregiver in someone's home so it's one-on one, but I'm unsure of it. :/ If any INFP caregivers see this, I hope I can get some information on it. I figure I could do this while I work on getting a career and in the meantime doing something meaningful.

·
Registered
616 Posts
-----I'm sorry you're having trouble deciding on a career path. This is a common struggle for us.
-----I suggest seeing a career counselor, and make sure they are aware of MBTI. The counselor who helped me used SkillScan.
-----Decent pay, sounds good, right? The problem of course is that such jobs insinuate themselves into every part of your life. Coworker get-togethers, long hours, conferences, events, continuing education, and on and on and on. If you're planning on exercising your caring in your free time, you'll find that you never get to it.
-----For this reason, try to find a job that caters to your strengths. There are types that are natural mechanics, natural architects, natural mathematicians, and so on--do any of those people work for free? You are a natural with emotion and people, so try to find a job in which you can use those skills in a non-hostile/relatively non-distressing environment. The usual choices are psychology, the humanities, and teaching. But you are the one who knows what you bring to the table.
-----Good luck as you decide what career path to take.

Reactions: Mystic Lotus

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would try John L. Holland's The Occupations Finder. I tested as Realistic Social Enterprising, and wouldn't be surprised, being a fellow INFP, if you would, too. Also, EMT/Phlebotomy training might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm going through the same problem except that I already have bachelor degree in biology but this major is no help in finding jobs easily -_-.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Hello,

Life direction has also been a roller coaster for me but things are a lot clearer to me now.

First of all College isn't for everyone. I spent 3.5 years in University and I didn't like my course at all. I finished the course and now I'm not even working in that field..... I didn't like the content. I didn't like studying the content. It was way too much useless information and stuff I didn't care about.

There are many options out there apart from the "conventional" college and "conventional" course. Here in Australia there's many private colleges that offer course in many different fields..Follow your heart and study what you want to study. And study doesn't have to be a 5 year degree (unless you want to be something that requires). There are many shorter courses out there.

So you want to do something "meaningful" and also make money as well. I and many others feel the same. Some people do find a job for money and then do something they care about outside of work. I personally can't stand doing things that I don't care about. It drains the life out of me. You don't have to put yourself through this. There is no need to suffer. I've put in my resignation for my Sales Consultant position and am now in the process of lining up a couple of courses.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Actually I went through a course to become a Certified Nursing Assistant, and then had plans to become a RN. I did clinicals in a nursing home, and I did recieve my certification, but after that I realized in that setting it was depressing, especially the way I saw some CNA's treated the patients, I didn't see abuse, but the way they treated the patients was not caring at all. :(

But I still wanted to give it a chance, so I volunteered at a hospital to see what it was like in that setting. This was not really depressing as I didn't come across patients really, but I realized this wouldn't work either. I went on the 4th floor and there were so many nurses surrounding an front desk, went right back into the elevator, after this experience, I realized I prefer one-on-one instead of being around many people and having many patients to deal with.

Lately I have thought about being a caregiver in someone's home so it's one-on one, but I'm unsure of it. :/ If any INFP caregivers see this, I hope I can get some information on it. I figure I could do this while I work on getting a career and in the meantime doing something meaningful.
Yeah when I decided to look for a job that was meaningful the first thing I did was a search on SEEK (job search webpage) in the categories of Community Services, Education System and Healthcare. Although some of the jobs did appeal to me. On a whole they were not all I was looking for.

To me the Education system is far too restrictive. Teaching things I don't care for and NOT teaching things I do care for. It just feels too limiting as there are too many things you can and can't do. Kind of like- just stick to the program.

The Healthcare system to me feels like- "lets treat the SYMPTOMS I'm not concerned about the ROOT cause". It's like - " Here take this PILL and when you run out come back and get some more. They will help you COPE with the Symptoms".

My point being, DO try things out. But also do think outside of the box. To me personally I'm looking into more Holistic Health practices and Alternative Medicine because they are things I'm interested in and believe in. It's very a broad field so they are many different modalities out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A Suggestion

I'm going through the same problem except that I already have bachelor degree in biology but this major is no help in finding jobs easily -_-.
I would go back, take a few classes, and get a BS in Environmental Science. My exboyfriend has one and you can get jobs with that BS that start in the 50 to 65,000 range. It also allows you to branch into different directions, such as Occupational Safety and Emergency Management with a MS degree.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts