Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose I could have posted this in the general psychology section aswell, but I am particularly inteterested to see if any other INTJs have experienced this.

When I was really young, about 2 or 3, I think I had a photographic memory. My parents owned an herb and flower nursery, and apparently I had a phenomenal ability to memorize plant names. People would show me plant tags like flashcards, and I could name dozens and dozens of different species! However, I am now thirteen and I no longer have these abilities :dry: Is it possible to lose a photographic memory? Is there any hope of getting it back?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I don't have much on knowledge on photographic memory. I know that I never had it in any sense of the word. In fact I had pretty bad memory, and still do, which is probably the effect of always looking into the future. However you may have a gift or talent that surpasses that kind of antithesis.

Out of curiosity, were you extremely emotional, but suppressed it extremely well?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In fact I had pretty bad memory, and still do, which is probably the effect of always looking into the future. ?
That's an interesting theory. I am constantly looking into the future, so much so that I sometimes forget about the present. I prefer to imagine the future than to live in the moment because, frankly, my present life is incredibly boring. Of course, as a child, I had no real sense of the future whatsoever, thus I lived in the moment and it may have allowed a photographic memory to develop. Also, I'm not as observant as I probably could be, as my head is in the clouds most of the time :happy:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh my god.... I FORGOT to answer your question :laughing: I don't remember much about that period of my life, but what I do remember is that I definetly did not suppress my emotions well! I had a lot of tantrums...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Oh my god.... I FORGOT to answer your question :laughing: I don't remember much about that period of my life, but what I do remember is that I definetly did not suppress my emotions well! I had a lot of tantrums...
Neural activity increases depending on emotional intensity. Now of course with sheer intelligence neurons can be at their prime, but we as humans absolutely CANNOT remember things well unless there is an emotion tied with it. Our neurons pick up potential memories through the senses(your smell of vegetation perhaps?).

An INTJ with that kind of emotional connectivity is either(assuming you do) is either extremely talented, or the product of a recessive gene. All INTJs I know DID NOT have temper tantrums. Not saying none of them did, but that I think that little do(even I didn't).

·
Banned
809 Posts
When I was young I had temper tantrums. I think and remember in pictures, but I can't really remember the fine details, just the general picture of the incident.

As a child I was pretty smart but quiet. BUT, it was important that I had it my way otherwise my temper would be flared.

I don't think it's possible to lose photographic memory, but I think it is possible to lose the finer details of the picture.

Do you think in pictures?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Many aspie children have this kind of ability to classify objects belonging to a group without having to study. Tantrumming is also a very typical aspie chid behavior. INTJs often ride the line, although most of us wouldn't actually be diagnosed because we don't have any real problem with it. There are a lot of interesting quirks within the light side of autism, photographic memory being one of them. My mother had this. She never had to study. She just stored book pages in her head and hit the play button for tests. What you are talking about is usually thought of as more of a savant ability, and it generally fades over time. I knew an aspie kid who had this for cars. At a very young age he could name make and model of every car that went by. No one knows how he learned them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many aspie children have this kind of ability to classify objects belonging to a group without having to study. Tantrumming is also a very typical aspie chid behavior. INTJs often ride the line, although most of us wouldn't actually be diagnosed because we don't have any real problem with it. There are a lot of interesting quirks within the light side of autism, photographic memory being one of them.My mother had this. She never had to study. She just stored book pages in her head and hit the play button for tests. What you are talking about is usually thought of as more of a savant ability, and it generally fades over time. I knew an aspie kid who had this for cars. At a very young age he could name make and model of every car that went by. No one knows how he learned them. .
I actually have considered this. I certainly don't have full-on aspergers syndrome, but perhaps I have a very, very mild case. My parents and I joke about it quite a bit, as I can hardly ever tell whether someone is kidding or serious. I also don't like to be touched, and I seem to be a little lacking in the feelings department, even for an INTJ. However, I definetly have to study for tests, and I certainly don't remember any of the plant names I used to have memorized...

Uwace, in terms of thinking in pictures, at present I'm like you; I can only remember the general picture of an event.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow, I'm exactely like this.

When I was really young I could tell make and model of a car just by looking at it. But as I don't remember very well it could also be that my parents exaggerate when they tell this story.

Also I never know when someone is kidding or being sarcastic although I do it myself all the time...

And I can speak english just as well as my first language (portuguese). I just always could.

As for learning, all I need to do is understand the information as a concept. Then I can remember it forever. Can't ever tell you how or where I learned it but I understand and can replicate (at least mimic) it.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have a terrible memory, except for vocabulary - in that, my memory is close to photographic. If I have seen a word, I can spell it. I remember what it looks like, and write down the picture in my head. Of course, if I have seen it misspelled too often, I have a real problem. I can also spell words backwards as easily as forwards, it makes no difference. I just start at the other end.

What makes it more odd is that I am mildly dyslexic, but only with numbers and spatial things, like left/right.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a terrible memory, except for vocabulary - in that, my memory is close to photographic. If I have seen a word, I can spell it. I remember what it looks like, and write down the picture in my head. Of course, if I have seen it misspelled too often, I have a real problem. I can also spell words backwards as easily as forwards, it makes no difference. I just start at the other end.

What makes it more odd is that I am mildly dyslexic, but only with numbers and spatial things, like left/right.
I'm like that too! I can nearly always remember a word once I've seen it. I guess I was lying when I said I'd completely lost my photograhic memory.

I also have mild "number-lexia" as I like to call it, and I have the aboslute worst sense of direction in the world.

This is strange....

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I used to have amazing memory. I memorized movies, random dialogues with people: you said this five years ago... no i didn't. YES YOU DID. Now, turning 18 in February, I can say I definitely lost it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Are you sure you're not just picking out certain vivid memories? I'm willing to bet three whole zimbabwes (count em) that in a few years, you'll look back and see a few photographic things and not much else.

Furthermore, I've found that the absurd photographic memory only kicks in when I'm very intensely studying things that I'm actually interested in. When I was very young, I was interested intensely in everything. Now - not so much.

Post-script: If you don't use your phenomenal plant-name-knowledge, you'll completely forget it regardless.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Are you sure you're not just picking out certain vivid memories? I'm willing to bet three whole zimbabwes (count em) that in a few years, you'll look back and see a few photographic things and not much else.

Furthermore, I've found that the absurd photographic memory only kicks in when I'm very intensely studying things that I'm actually interested in. When I was very young, I was interested intensely in everything. Now - not so much.

Post-script: If you don't use your phenomenal plant-name-knowledge, you'll completely forget it regardless.
What you say is true; however, almost all autistic-light people lose their aspie-ness as the years go by. That includes a lot of the fun parts. But sometimes if I am interested enough, I can almost get back there mentally. And ditto to all, selective dyslexia and zero navigational skills, also no 3-D depth perception.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
What you say is true; however, almost all autistic-light people lose their aspie-ness as the years go by. That includes a lot of the fun parts. But sometimes if I am interested enough, I can almost get back there mentally. And ditto to all, selective dyslexia and zero navigational skills, also no 3-D depth perception.
Yup, I've got the lack of depth perception as well. How odd, I never thought this would be related to cognitive functions, but now I'm getting intrigued. I'm 47, and have only met one other person like this - and I'm pretty sure she had some kind of mental illness, probably schizophrenia.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got a working theory that a lot of quirks and characteristics are related to one's personality.

If we don't have a well developed Se then we can't hope to have good spatial awareness. That's one example.

Posture for one. Maybe there already is literature on that, but I'm unaware of it. Anyway, I'm willing to bet that some orthopedic conditions such as lordosis are directly related to how we project our egos.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts