Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever feel like your brain is just "loud?" More often than not, my inner monologue drowns out everything external. In conversation, I constantly have to ask people to repeat themselves, and in utter silence, I'm completely incapable of relaxing and letting my mind go blank.

Is this a Ne thing, or am I just plain on the verge of losing it?

·
Banned
1,110 Posts
Ever feel like your brain is just "loud?" More often than not, my inner monologue drowns out everything external. In conversation, I constantly have to ask people to repeat themselves, and in utter silence, I'm completely incapable of relaxing and letting my mind go blank.

Is this a Ne thing, or am I just plain on the verge of losing it?
I have that too! Sometimes, when someone is talking, I'll go off into my own little world for 10 seconds or so, until I realise that the person is staring at me. Then, i snap back into reality, apologise, and ask them to repeat themselves. Sometimes, I even listen and realise I haven't understood a word they've said. The words have registered, but I don't understand because I was thinking about something else.

(Before you call me a bad friend; it only happens sometimes.)

Do you also have several trains of thought going on at once?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Recent example I can show you guys, in my PerC video challenge thingy, one of the bonus questions was, "Are you fascinated with/by wooden planks?" I only realize after posting my video that I never actually answered the question, LOL!!! I did think about wooden planks for a bit though. I guess they did fascinate me?

Reactions: DeathRipper

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
1,110 Posts
Recent example I can show you guys, in my PerC video challenge thingy, one of the bonus questions was, "Are you fascinated with/by wooden planks?" I only realize after posting my video that I never actually answered the question, LOL!!! I did think about wooden planks for a bit though. I guess they did fascinate me?
*stoner voice* "They're like....trees...in a flattened cuboid shape...dude! "

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I remember thinking about the way different wood types looked, the ring patterns, the colors, different stains, the feel of wood, sanding wood, wood flooring, wood flooring patterns, how much some wood types cost over others, and so on, and so on...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes to all of it! It's the worst at night and cause me a lot of insomnia problems. Ended up getting severely addicted to Ambien (EVIL stuff). I also do what others mentioned about going off into space when someone is talking to me and not registering a thing they said.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm an INFP, but can totally relate to the "loud" brain thing. Sometimes when its really bad and someone starts talking to me, I'm just like "Yeah, uh huh. I know what you mean," and then realize I didn't comprehend a word they were saying because I was thinking intensely of something else. It gets like 10x worse when I'm stressed out.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Yes to all of it! It's the worst at night and cause me a lot of insomnia problems. Ended up getting severely addicted to Ambien (EVIL stuff). I also do what others mentioned about going off into space when someone is talking to me and not registering a thing they said.
From when I was 15 until I was 18 I was insomniac. I'd stay awake until 5:30am, which is when my dad woke up, then I'd jump off the computer and get in bed. No telling what he'd do if he caught me (actually, I could tell, but it's an unpleasant collection of stories). He'd leave the house at 6:15am, and then my mother would get me downstairs for breakfast etc. If I did get any sleep, it was during those 45 minutes. It WREAKED my body.

Looking back on it now, I did most of my learning on the internet during those years. It launched me ahead of my peers by decades worth of education. Since I've been working and raising a family full-time, I haven't had as much time as I'd like to allocate to just... researching things. I can't afford to be insomnia wreaked again.

Sucks about the Ambien. I'm sure somebody would have tried to force me on some crap like that if they knew what my nights were like back then.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I feel your pain on the brain "loudness" idea. I sometimes need to slow down my trains of thought so I don't give myself a headache (this especially happens when I'm closing in on a deadline or I'm anticipating something). I need to sit back, take a few breaths and meditate for a few minutes before I return to anything that requires some attention.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Occasionally. I usually only let it happen when I'm bored and waiting for things to get moving. I find letting my brain wander is a nice refreshing break from all the focusing I have to do for work.

My coworker is an ENTP and he has confessed on numerous occasions that he cannot stop his brain from spinning its wheels. It's non stop all the time for him.

Reactions: LawyersAdvocate

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
It's an N thing more generally. I have a theory that the volume of our internal monologue, and our relation to it is what separates sensors and intuitives. I remember tossing a question out to the various types last year, and the answers were quite distinctive between the two types. Theirs tends to try to cut them down, and make them nervous whereas our is just always on, and tends to go away if we're particularly nervous/scared (at which point we tend to pay attention to all the signals our body is sending)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not just loud, when not having mind monologue, my mind randomly play up music in my head. When I was driving, in class, even when having a conversation, my mind tend to put on music at random times. That is one of the cause why I have concentration problem.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I have this theory that Ne and insomnia is kind of related. In month long periods, like right now, i just can't seem to shut my brain up enough to get to sleep. The only thing that works is weed, and that makes me stupid the day after...

·
Registered
72 Posts
No I am the same way... I prioritize by having my inner monologue as being most important then everything comes second (and third, etc, etc) naturally... but I don't have the problem with paying attention in having conversations with people.

I guess that part is pretty easy and I think I do a wonderful job with this bit although I have been quite the insensitive person lately.

But yes, you're also right, in silence, I'm COMPLETELY incapable of relaxing and letting my mind go blank.

It's nearly impossible for me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts