Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of Louis C.K.'s humor derives from an intuitive analytical perspective on society. Very Carlin-esque, and generally focuses on critical analysis of what is otherwise pre-defined. Unlike Si-heavy Jerry Seinfeld humor (that I often find somewhat boring) which is merely a recollection of humorous situations, C.K.'s humor takes a very Ti-intensive approach. Some may argue that he's an ENTP solely because extraverts tend to be drawn towards performance, however I don't see Ne dominance in him.

To further confirm my beliefs that he is at least an NT, C.K. made this statement in his Reddit AMA:
Okay. I do love to learn. It's all I feel like I'm ever doing. It's really the best you can do in life, is learn. You can't really do anything right. You can just learn. Right now, I am learning to be a dad. I am learning how to take better care of myself and my kids. I"m learning how to communicate with people in my life.
Professionally, I'm learning right this minute, a HUGE amount with this web experiment. this live at the beacon thing (available at www.louisck.com for 5 bucks) is like that thing in the movie "Twisiter" where they send a bunch of little data collecting balls up into a tornado and just download the lovely results. The whole things has been like that. From the moment it went online and i saw the result of every decision i made. the last question the web guys asked me before we posted was if I wanted the mail list button defaulted to "opt in" or "opt out" and i said start it at opt out. It's such a tiny thing but I keep hearing about it from people. So so interesting to watch this grow.
For him, it isn't just about living life--it's about collecting information to do it better. That's something that I think is universal to all NTs.

Furthermore, I see a sense of introversion in the way he executes his TV show, "Louie." This is beyond the fact that his fictional representation of himself in the show is a blatant introvert. The choice in music, the opening sequence, and the dreary mood all point me towards a heavy sense of introspection, which is very much linked to introversion. The show as a whole is very much how I've always imagined a TV show if I was to make one--dreary, and thoughtful.

Any flaws in my logic? Any contributions?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I know one of the writers for his old show was an INTP (Dan Mintz, Tina from Bob's Burgers). Himself, I'd say INFJ. He has the introverted profundity, but I don't get a Ti dominant vibe from him. But definately Ti heavy for sure. (The drearyness is a good point...I associate that with Ti cynicism when gone too far).

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know one of the writers for his old show was an INTP (Dan Mintz, Tina from Bob's Burgers). Himself, I'd say INFJ. He has the introverted profundity, but I don't get a Ti dominant vibe from him. But definately Ti heavy for sure. (The drearyness is a good point...I associate that with Ti cynicism when gone too far).
How are you getting INFJ out of him? I'm not sure how you're getting feeler out of him, and his humor is easily on the Ne end. Without a doubt. Ni humor is far more dry and sarcastic. I used to know an ENTP who naturally treated every conversation like a stand-up gig. Something that I noticed was that he was huge on metaphors, acting out what he was saying (and what other people were saying), and making vivid hypothetical situations. Watch this C.K. interview. Notice things like "with a donkey with pots clanging on the sides," and "you're making sparks." These are big time Ne characteristics. I see much of this in myself as well.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
There is no way Louie CK is INFJ. Fe dominate personality types do not share the same capabilities to laugh at depreciating humor as opposed to NT types who can laugh at a good catholic priest molestation joke. INFJs have a incredibly difficult time depersonalizing degrading behavior from the individual themselves. So from their point of view, depreciating jokes are malicious and hurtful to people, and intentionally hurting people violates the fundamental core value of INFJs. Therefore, Louie CK cannot be INFJ.

Louie CK is definitely Ne dominate, his humor is all over it. He is either INTP or ENTP. Flip a coin I guess. I'm going to rewatch Louie for more "research". Kekekeke.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
How are you getting INFJ out of him? I'm not sure how you're getting feeler out of him, and his humor is easily on the Ne end. Without a doubt. Ni humor is far more dry and sarcastic. I used to know an ENTP who naturally treated every conversation like a stand-up gig. Something that I noticed was that he was huge on metaphors, acting out what he was saying (and what other people were saying), and making vivid hypothetical situations. Watch this C.K. interview. Notice things like "with a donkey with pots clanging on the sides," and "you're making sparks." These are big time Ne characteristics. I see much of this in myself as well.

I'm certainly not married to INFJ. I said that because I sensed too much of an Fe-Ti interplay to make INTP likely (in the way he is interacting), but did sense something introverty about his personality.

Now that I'm looking at the interview again I'm leaning ENTP.

There is no way Louie CK is INFJ. Fe dominate personality types do not share the same capabilities to laugh at depreciating humor as opposed to NT types who can laugh at a good catholic priest molestation joke. INFJs have a incredibly difficult time depersonalizing degrading behavior from the individual themselves. So from their point of view, depreciating jokes are malicious and hurtful to people, and intentionally hurting people violates the fundamental core value of INFJs. Therefore, Louie CK cannot be INFJ.

Louie CK is definitely Ne dominate, his humor is all over it. He is either INTP or ENTP. Flip a coin I guess. I'm going to rewatch Louie for more "research". Kekekeke.
I would say he's ENTP looking at the video now, but it's not just because of his humour style. I do know lots of INFJ's who really enjoy dark humour, and not all ENTP's do. The tendency towards dark offensive humour is definately there for ENTP's...ETP's because of secondary Ti but primary Pi have this ruckous, let's take this just as far as we possibly can thing going on. but I personally wouldn't try to type someone just based on how offensive their jokes are.

He does have that bouncy Ne vibe about him.

·
Registered
27 Posts
youtube "Louis CK Doll Scene" and click on the first video.

This man is an INTP without a doubt. this video sums it up. The energy he is putting into his kids and his the energy he puts in to not fail at that is Inferior Fe at work. The entire video displays the Ti-Ne relationship. It cracks me up how he makes an eye out of trace paper, without thinking about the reality of the application. Also funny how he lays the eyes on top of the face, thinking that it will stay that way for a split second. One would argue that he could be ENTP, but I think it's highly unlikely. This guy lives in his head. You see it in his depression, and when he imagines long term romantic relationships with women when dating. He also is not too gregarious, goes to Ti primarilly when uncomfortable, not Ne. and his feelings are what he suffers from.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
NO WAY!!!

I Love Luis C.K.!

I'd say he is INFJ or ENFP or ENFJ, maybe even INFP ...

Wither way ... That guy is NF.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Louis CK is quite clearly an INFP.
What?! He has a very inappropriate sense of humor and definitely no clear set of 'values', which to me screams NOT INFP. All INFPs I know are respectful and have strong morals.

I woulda gone with xSTP or xNTP. I feel like he gives off very ESTP vibes at times - provocative, fuck-it-all type of humor, but with less satire than Carlin.

·
Registered
560 Posts
INxP for sure. I thought he was an INTP at first too, but an INTP friend convinced me he was INFP.

But I'm not ruling out INTP. I really don't see him as anything other than INxP though.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
What?! He has a very inappropriate sense of humor and definitely no clear set of 'values', which to me screams NOT INFP. All INFPs I know are respectful and have strong morals.

I woulda gone with xSTP or xNTP. I feel like he gives off very ESTP vibes at times - provocative, fuck-it-all type of humor, but with less satire than Carlin.
This says more about your lack of understanding the cognitive functions than it does about Louis.

He's a completely obvious intuitive feeler.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This says more about your lack of understanding the cognitive functions than it does about Louis.

He's a completely obvious intuitive feeler.
I have read C. Jung's essay on cognitive functions (albeit a couple years ago), so instead of making demeaning remarks, please enlighten me with your wisdom.

His inconspicuous demeanor has some Fi to it, and some of his observations have a philosophical bend, but other than that I don't see how INFP is obvious. Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
I have read C. Jung's essay on cognitive functions (albeit a couple years ago), so instead of making demeaning remarks, please enlighten me with your wisdom.

His inconspicuous demeanor has some Fi to it, and some of his observations have a philosophical bend, but other than that I don't see how INFP is obvious. Care to elaborate?
No.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'd go with INTP.

He's clearly an NT. Most of us can agree on this.

A lot of his comedy talks about how he's by himself a lot of the time, and how he dislikes other people. In fact, the fictional version of himself on Louie seems very introverted, and very awkward in social situations. Of course, it's hard to use a character from a fictional setting to type a real person.

P is the one I'm least sold on. He takes charge of many key aspects of his career. He writes, directs, produces, edits, and stars in his own show. He writes and directs a few of his standup specials. Is it characteristic of P to spread themselves around so much? If not, I'm inclined to say he's a J, which would be awesome.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.