Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw this short video on ENTPs recently, and I was shocked in the way we were described. Attention seeking? Always looking for others approval? Intense need for love and acceptance?

Are we really like that?? I've always thought of us being, well, one of the the best types, since all around we seem to just be an indescribably amazing breed. Wit, cleverness, aloof, exciting and superbly creative is what I've thought/seen. But the way some describe us? We seem pathetic, needy, shallow, and..well.. HUMAN.

What do you think? Are we really so desperately approval/love seeking? ENTPs, throw in your thoughts. We need to recover our pride. Any other types are welcome to share their input as well.

·
Banned
6,247 Posts
Where's the video? Post the link please. But yeah, whether or not we are needy of love and affection, we are not pathetic or shallow people.

We are by far the best type. (with the exception of INFJ and INTJ, of course.)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I've always thought. Its not narcissistic, I think we just possess all (or most of) the qualities we love and appreciate.

I have yet to meet a very exciting introvert..I'm currently liking the ENTJs.

I'll have to search for the video, give me a bit of time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
While it's not normally a problem, I'll admit that, if I'm not getting that "this guy's fucking awesome, I love when he's around" vibe from people, it can mildly affect my mood. Admiration is a guilty pleasure for me. But I'll never stoop to attention/approval-seeking behavior to get it, though.

Fortunately I'm awesome, so it's not really an issue. :wink:

That said, @DiamondDays was pretty accurate in bringing up the Enneagram. I'm a dominant 7, but there's plenty of us that are 5's, among others.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
That was obviously not written by an ENTP, or someone who knows us well.
I think that's just how people can see Ne dominant people. It can result in a bit of... eccentrics sometimes, which can translate to attention seeking.

The only time in my life I can remember wanting other's approval desperately was seventh grade, but that's when I was a really confused and awkward 13 year old. I grew out of it pretty fast.

I mean, I do want my friend's approval in some situations, but I'm not going out of my way to get it. And I am by no stretch of the imagination attention seeking.

·
Banned
6,247 Posts
Show me the video!

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
The core of my ENTP brother is needing love, and even if he goes out of his way to make others believe differently, it is what it is. He is sensitive, yep, and sensitive ENTP, but not in a way that is obvious. I'm talking about his core, which he doesn't reveal to just anyone, but i know that under all that funny sarcastic fluff, being loved by others is very important to him. Attention seeking, well yes, he loves attention, and will go out of his way to get it. I think that could derive from needing approval, because at the end of the day he does need approval, love and attention.

I only know a few other ENTP's, they are all the same. The core of who they are want to be accepted through love, approval and attention.

If we were keeping it real here, we are human. What human doesn't want to be loved. Regardless of what type we are, we all look for approval at some point in our relationships, whether that be friendships, or romantic. And attention, well not necessarily type related, but ENTP seem to enjoy it more than other types.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
That's what people think when they don't know what to do with you. ENTP is a type that is projected on A LOT, like INTP. Notice how different the descriptions of each type will be according to the individual?

l really tend to tone myself naturally though, because l think people see us being out for more shock value than we are, which in turn leads to that assumption.

Likewise if people think you show aggressive behavior as a result of that UNRELENTING DESIRE to be so DESPERATELY loved ;)

l can't be bothered and l even like to be nice to creep people out :kitteh:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds more like a Socionics influenced video than an Enneagram influenced video. Acceptance and love are psychological needs that when unfulfilled will result in someone being more needy of them from others. ENTPs will vary in this regard.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If we were keeping it real here, we are human. What human doesn't want to be loved. Regardless of what type we are, we all look for approval at some point in our relationships, whether that be friendships, or romantic. And attention, well not necessarily type related, but ENTP seem to enjoy it more than other types.
Everyone, regardless of personality type needs love. I look at love as a basic spiritual need.... you probably never "go out of your way" to attain food .... until you're starving. Maybe its more difficult for people to love certain ENTPs given how we tend to act?....draw your own conclusions from that. Just wondering, this is an interesting topic.

I'll admit I have sought attention, mostly in my younger years. I find it difficult to form extremely meaningful and loving relationships with most people, and its due to my standards. Lots of acquaintances in my life, very few I'd die for. Perhaps in this scenario my own standards bear the potential to inadvertently starve my self of love? The only time I do go out of my way to get somebody's attention is when I find somebody who I truly respect. They are so far and few between sometimes that I don't want to miss the opportunity to know them.

Can any of you relate?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. I might go out of my way for someone I respect, which very few people have from me. I have recently acquired an ENTJ, and she nearly immediately commanded my attention.

That being said, I think it has less to do with being an approval/attention whore and more with our drive to find someone who fits our needs, to play the game with us or assist us in the process.

Reactions: ethicsGradient

·
Registered
255 Posts
That being said, I think it has less to do with being an approval/attention whore and more with our drive to find someone who fits our needs, to play the game with us or assist us in the process.
yes, our needs are both very hard to handle and very hard to fulfill. I'm to the point now where I know enough people, so unless somebody is the type that will "play the game" I wont even bother.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think its not completely false. Subconsciously we do want attention, but that doesn't make us insincere.
The difference between attention craving between Ts and Fs are Ts that Ts only want attention in the things they care for

1 - 15 of 15 Posts