Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:typingneko:Love at first sight is always an interesting debate/topic, have you experienced it ? Someone you know ?

On a personal level I think that I have experienced love at first sight :hearts:, my current S.O and I had instant chemistry buuut we didn't act on this as I was a customer and he was an employe in a professional setting, so it was a bit of a tricky situation:blushed:, instead I came back months later and asked for his number and the rest is history:wink:... Still together to this day and both still astonished that we both had felt something incredible that fateful day I walked in as just a customer... :kirby:

Can't wait to read your experiences ! :brocoli:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Not at first sight but at first sound: I said hi, he said hi. My brain began floating into the stratosphere. I was gone. After that, every time he was near me my body sort of went on auto pilot.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I thought once I had experienced love at first sight. As it turns out, I had simply transferred an intense, months-long unrequited crush onto the first young woman who walked by and was friendly to me.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,418 Posts
Yeah...

Through videochat. All she had to do is smile at me, and I felt in love. She did already before me.

...though, we have had already contact through chatting for quite some months already.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Nope. I've experience infatuation at first sight and first smell. That's what I see it as; the reptile brain firing up the hormones when it notice a compatible human being suitable for breeding.

Reactions: NeonMidget

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
First of all, @NeonMidget, let me say how intrigued I am by your use of a dancing broccoli gif. I admit I watched it for more than a few second, ok now with that out of the way - Sure, love at first site is an interesting concept. I was in the lunch area at my work and looked up and noticed we hired a new girl. She was attractive. I had the immediate thought that not only was I attracted to her but that she was also attracted to me and that we would get along very well. We chatted for a short while - I remarked at how easily I opened up to her on a mental level. How interesting is it that all it takes is a look at someone to discern all of that information with that level of certainty. Several follow up exchanges seem to confirm my suspicion that the feeling was mutual with her as well.

It's interesting.

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
I was impressed with all of the emoticons, too. They forced me to read this, because I don't believe in "love at first sight". Then, I read @joshman108 's post, and remembered that was my definition years ago.

I think much of that is simply infatuation. If it isn't supported with needs being met and a few other things over a period of time with consistency, it surely won't last.

Infatuation is love, though not very deep and not very realistic. It's just a start. I felt that way with my first wife. We met in our teens. I guess I have felt it again, but just realized it was not lasting, nor was it proven, but simply wishes, hopes, and dreams supported by oxytocin, dopamine, adrenaline, and geritol. oops, not that last one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is infatuation not love?
No. Infatuation is admiration due to physical attraction. Love is a much stronger emotion. I've been infatuated by some women I've met before, Even allured but I did not "love" them. I agree with what some people have said, I cannot fall in love with a person superficially. I need to really get to know them. True love takes time to build. I would die for somebody i truly loved, can't say the same about somebody I saw for the first time and felt a deep attraction to.

·
Registered
779 Posts
No. Infatuation is admiration due to physical attraction. Love is a much stronger emotion. I've been infatuated by some women I've met before, Even allured but I did not "love" them. I agree with what some people have said, I cannot fall in love with a person superficially. I need to really get to know them. True love takes time to build. I would die for somebody i truly loved, can't say the same about somebody I saw for the first time and felt a deep attraction to.
Actually I disagree. I would say that infatuation is one kind of love. The heartbreak you would feel from being rejected by someone you were infatuated with, and some one you have grown to love over time is equally painful.
Infatuation is more intense than attraction or allure, or even desire. It may happen fast, but its is not superficial.

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
I always thought that was just attraction. I thought infatuation was more, but based in unrealistic, unproven thoughts and dreams, unproven. I thought it didn't last, but was hot and heavy and could be shared between two at the same time. I know it's not true love, but feels similar in some respects.

I looked it up and it seems similar to that, though I thought it was a kind of love which was a category of it's own, along with philia, eros, etc. That's why I called it infatuation love. I guess I was mistaken. I looked it up. Here are some links.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hide-and-seek/201606/these-are-the-7-types-love

https://psychcentral.com/lib/love-versus-infatuation/

I don't know this next site. It's new to me. I trust the ones above. This one below seems pretty good. I just don't know it.

Infatuation vs Love - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Some say four types of love and some, like this next site, say seven.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hide-and-seek/201606/these-are-the-7-types-love

Honestly, I'm confused. It seems like it changes over time with more research or something. I don't know.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
A few years ago, I was at the summer solstice celebrations and I saw this young girl who for some reason left me completely awestruck for the whole evening. Just a plain mind = blown type of impression, I cant describe it. It was a surreal experience but nothing came of it because she was there with her parents (she was about 14-16 by my estimation, I have no idea tbh, people's age is difficult to estimate), I was there with my sister and her bf, excuses excuses and so on. Would be cool to meet her again but thats unlikely to say the least :D, even in a country as small as this.

I thought once I had experienced love at first sight. As it turns out, I had simply transferred an intense, months-long unrequited crush onto the first young woman who walked by and was friendly to me.
Haha, thats must be fun :D

No, and I don't believe in it, I think it's shallow attraction on physical features, nothing more.
Emotions are value detectors, falling at first sight is an extremely strong detection, nothing more. From there it is up to you to follow up with looking into if your hardware was correct and they really are fucking amazing. I see so much of this fearful detachment from emotions, it doesnt make much sense to just reject it because it is an emotion.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First of all, @NeonMidget, let me say how intrigued I am by your use of a dancing broccoli gif. I admit I watched it for more than a few second, ok now with that out of the way - Sure, love at first site is an interesting concept. I was in the lunch area at my work and looked up and noticed we hired a new girl. She was attractive. I had the immediate thought that not only was I attracted to her but that she was also attracted to me and that we would get along very well. We chatted for a short while - I remarked at how easily I opened up to her on a mental level. How interesting is it that all it takes is a look at someone to discern all of that information with that level of certainty. Several follow up exchanges seem to confirm my suspicion that the feeling was mutual with her as well.

It's interesting.
Hahaha :laughing: Glad you enjoyed my emotes I think they make reading something more enjoyable and pull in peoples attention :sighlol: In response to your response, yes love at first sight is interesting it can be taken in many different ways and mean different things depending on your view point as all the responses to this post show. I think it's a real thing, didn't until it happened to me. I don't think love at first sight means that you "love" them from just making eye contact, I think it's just some sort of connection, something is realised between the 2 mutual parties involved something that tells you both that you felt something more than just chemicals. :chat02:

Reactions: pilgrim_12

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Love at first sight no I wouldn't go that far

But distinguishing better that initial gut attraction and chemistry I just either have for a person or not and trusting it better yes.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Attraction, yes, but it's not the same thing as the bond I feel when I know someone on an intimate level.

As for love... love is not an "on" or "off" thing for me, it's more of an increasing or decreasing thing. I can love someone a little bit, and that love can grow or shrink over time. So yes, I can start to love someone at first sight. I love them with the smallest amount of love.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts