Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks for sharing that documentary! I really liked how the creators presented the experiment.

What is really interesting is that Dr. Dougherty's prediction of the winner being 'one of the older guys' was correct (even if Kent won, not Don). Love that lasts for a long period of time is typically expected to be stronger love than, say, an adolescent's love for their partner. Likewise, a child's love (in this case, Milo) is also seen to be purer/stronger. The results of the experiment have aligned themselves with the traditional expectations. Does this suggest love (not lust, or attraction or an artificially generated emotion such as the one Morgan attempted to induce within herself) can definitely be measured using brain signals?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing that documentary! I really liked how the creators presented the experiment.

What is really interesting is that Dr. Dougherty's prediction of the winner being 'one of the older guys' was correct (even if Kent won, not Don). Love that lasts for a long period of time is typically expected to be stronger love than, say, an adolescent's love for their partner. Likewise, a child's love (in this case, Milo) is also seen to be purer/stronger. The results of the experiment have aligned themselves with the traditional expectations. Does this suggest love (not lust, or attraction or an artificially generated emotion such as the one Morgan attempted to induce within herself) can definitely be measured using brain signals?
The criteria for 'brain activity' may have too many variables that vary with people. A better measure may be the relative change between a person's normative state and the elevated state of love. As for traditional expectations, its possible that what constitutes the strength of the love response may be how unadulterated the signal is. In the case of the child, the lack of expectations and the novelty of the experience may exhibit what constitutes love a priori (I'm eating my original conjecture now). In the case of the old man, his love is stronger a posteriori as it stood the test of time and experience. As for all the other candidates, their signals are weaker as either the experience is marred (breakup) or is ongoing and so still in development.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Aww thank you so much for sharing that video. It's so beautiful, the results are so genuine. First place went to a love that evolved throughout 50 years to something that is so perfect and truthful. I really like what his wife said about how love is being with someone who helps you become whom you're supposed to be. The second place went to a kid who felt pure love towards his baby cousin. I think that those two kinds of love are just spectacular.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
A nice little artful documentary on the neural chemical experience of love. So when you guys look back at treasured moments/experiences and why you keep them, is love no more than a positive reinforcement pathway for past triggers?
isn't that just a... lifeless kind of way to look at things?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Is this really the distinction being made: love versus infatuation/limerence?

Note: I wanted to throw the word "limerence" into the conversation before an INTJ beat me to the punch.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this really the distinction being made: love versus infatuation/limerence?

Note: I wanted to throw the word "limerence" into the conversation before an INTJ beat me to the punch.
Not quite... limerence is like pining for love in the absence of feedback. Its when Ni gets overcharged and starts spontaneously injecting intrusive thoughts when 'you' otherwise would think of something else. And since Te is nonexistent (object of affection is missing), you start using Fi to evaluate the thoughts which in some cases leads to the synthesis of new value system that are somewhat warped due to lack of externalization. I liken this whole process to psychosis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts