Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, INTJs, I have a question for you. :)

When you listen to songs that have romance as the subject, and let's face it, there's a considerable amount of that out there, what type of lyrical content to you enjoy the most? As far as how it gets the message of love across and everything.

My reason for asking is that in a couple of months, the relationship with my INTJ S.O. will hit the 2 year mark, and I really wanted to try to compose a song for him and have it ready by then. I know he is not the type for overtly-mushy stuff, but when I try to come up with lyrics, it comes out as too directly sentimental, and it would be nice to figure out a more subtle -and hopefully not too corny- way of getting the message across.

That and it is always interesting to hear peoples' thoughts and opinions. :)

Please and thank you! :happy:

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I'm not fond of people asking for help from other people on how you should do something with your S.O., that should be automatic and it lacks originality, do your own thing, who cares how it sounds if it's from the heart.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had that thought in mind; I guess I'm just overly analytical of what other people think of me, especially the ones that are close to me. It just feels like everything that pops out of my head sounds like an overtly-gushy love ballad from a musical, and he is the type that can't stand musicals, lol. :confused: I guess I should just keep trying though. Thank you for your reply so far!

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Mostly I like the depressing ones, so that's not going to help you. Anxiety, indecision, lack of hope, cynicism, distance etc....the topic is only romance indirectly often too...plus I usually won't admit to enjoying them in public....

For the few others that are not like that, reference points:

Love song (of sorts) I find sweet:
YouTube - Tom Lehrer - Poisoning Pigeons In The Park - now on DVD

Love poem I find sweet:
Come, let us hasten to a higher plane,
Where dyads tread the fairy fields of Venn,
Their indices bedecked from one to n,
Commingled in an endless Markov chain!
Come, every frustum longs to be a cone,
And every vector dreams of matrices.
Hark to the gentle gradient of the breeze:
It whispers of a more ergodic zone.
In Riemann, Hilbert or in Banach space
Let superscripts and subscripts go their ways.
Our asymptotes no longer out of phase,
We shall encounter, counting, face to face.
I'll grant thee random access to my heart,
Thou'lt tell me all the constants of thy love;
And so we two shall all love's lemmas prove,
And in our bound partition never part.
For what did Cauchy know, or Christoffel,
Or Fourier, or any Boole or Euler,
Wielding their compasses, their pens and rulers,
Of thy supernal sinusoidal spell?
Cancel me not -- for what then shall remain?
Abscissas, some mantissas, modules, modes,
A root or two, a torus and a node:
The inverse of my verse, a null domain.
Ellipse of bliss, converse, O lips divine!
The product of our scalars is defined!
Cyberiad draws nigh, and the skew mind
cuts capers like a happy haversine. I see the eigenvalue in thine eye,
I hear the tender tensor in thy sigh.
Bernoulli would have been content to die,
Had he but known such a squared cosine 2 phi!

So for the non-depressing ones an element of humour/geekiness/creepiness.

I don't know if any of that helps whatsoever. What songs does he like himself? Obviously you do not want to ape them, but if he can listen to certain kinds of love songs by and about others, then it is another reference point. Always more awkward when one is the subject though. Myself I would implode in awkwardness if some saving grace of humour wasn't there - or I would add the humour and then come off as really insulting. FWIW. He's going to have his own quirks.

There is also the "INTJ's emotional side" thread where everyone is posting tons of music videos. You might derive some tendencies from analysing that, perhaps.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a good point. Most of the music he listens to is death metal, but I do have a couple of separate points of reference. Most of the issue is writing a song for the other while avoiding that (at least major) awkwardness, so I will keep the humor in mind. We are a very nerdy couple, and I was actually considering mentioning video games in the song, so that's something to start upon.

I hope he'll be happy, because I am planning to learn guitar or get my friend to help compose the music part for me (my friend plays piano and keytar), for this purpose, lol.

And thanks to you too :)

(On a separate note, Tom Lehrer is awesome!)

Reactions: lirulin

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
That is extremely sweet. You ENFPs amaze me sometimes. I could never do that. In a million years.

Reactions: ApolloNoUta

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aww shucks... :blushed: I try.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also tend to like darker or cynical lyrics, even if the sound is rather up beat, especially if it is comical.

Here are some examples of my favorite kind of lyrical artists:

the magnetic fields:
This song is a great example, along with many others in the same album.

Tom Waits:
This one has a more melancholy sound, but it's still fun.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I really like love songs that are dark, highly sexual, and contain many different interpretations. Why say one thing, when you can say many things at the same time? The same applies to poetry.

I have a dislike for sappy songs. I prefer more realistic... here and now.. Not what shoulda, coulda, woulda.... Also if it some how involves other controversial subject matter in it as an interpretation, all the better.

Tool is amazing for this. Maynard is a God.

One of my favorites: Stinkfist by Tool.

Reactions: ApolloNoUta
1 - 10 of 10 Posts