Personality Cafe banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Ah, but what's all this got to do with love types? ;-)

I dunno... In this, I think that any theory is probably no worse and no better than the other. I would think this, though, that any theory that helps us with the relationships we have is a good thing. Just don't let it get out of hand. ;-)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I can't imagine any of the INTPs I know being satisfied longterm with an ISFP. I can't imagine any of them being satisfied longterm with an S in general and while the INTPs N may not bother the ISFP, I don't think they would appreciate it as much as other types would whereas they might appreciate S-like characteristics in another S. I haven't seen many N-S matches work out all that well, to be honest. I see two people who like each other from afar but then I see bordome set in for both parties.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I can't imagine any of the INTPs I know being satisfied longterm with an ISFP. I can't imagine any of them being satisfied longterm with an S in general and while the INTPs N may not bother the ISFP, I don't think they would appreciate it as much as other types would whereas they might appreciate S-like characteristics in another S. I haven't seen many N-S matches work out all that well, to be honest. I see two people who like each other from afar but then I see bordome set in for both parties.
There is something to be said for what you are saying, but typological explanations do not cover the whole of human being nor experience. Nor do they well explain things like motivations, etc. They merely describe how we metabolize information. Yes, these things do have an impact--for instance, the INTP's Ne actually can frustrate the ISFP, but there is also a fascination with it. Socionics calls it our POLR, and for the INTP, your POLR is Se. You can have the same love-hate relationship with it as us with your Ne. However, what this _really_ means in actual life, is that a mature person will allow the positive aspects to grow them, and the negative aspects' impact not hinder. Immaturity leads to selfishness, and maturity looks beyond oneself. I've personally been married to an INTP for 25 years, and while we have had our ups and downs--all marriages do, but looking back, neither of us would have wanted to not experienced what we did by not marrying. The benefits far outweigh any struggles. If you use relatively shallow criteria like MBTI to determine your relationships.... well... I would be tempted to say that that is more of a problem than incompatibility between MBTI types.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Oh, trust me, I know that all too well:p (INFP that was with INTP for 5 years) I didn't mean to offend you if I have, sorry. I agree with everything you've said. I just meant that even though I agree with everything you've said, from what I've observed it hasn't panned out too well in the couples that I've known. I didn't mean that those couples represent every couple.I think the best relationships foster growth in each person.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Oh, trust me, I know that all too well:p (INFP that was with INTP for 5 years) I didn't mean to offend you if I have, sorry. I agree with everything you've said. I just meant that even though I agree with everything you've said, from what I've observed it hasn't panned out too well in the couples that I've known. I didn't mean that those couples represent every couple.I think the best relationships foster growth in each person.
It's not me that I'm concerned about--no worries about offending me. :) It's just that I look at couples I've known through the years, and all too frequently, it was the "incompatible" ones that have worked through their differences, often later in marriage, who end up sticking things out better, and being "happier", not because they were compatible, and things were easy, but because they focused on meeting the other's needs, and they grew. I guess that's my point. We can approach relationships in a completely self-serving, two-dimentional manner, or look further. My wife's strengths are my weakest areas, and visa versa. I know that my Ti is very developed simply because I can impress her, and I know her feeling function is developed because of how she brings it to bear in rearing our children, and in relationships she has, and her desire to help people. Ironically, the area where we clash the most is our sensing, but I'm glad, though, that her weak Se is there, because sometimes when driving, her inability to turn off "unnecessary" data input allowed her to see things I missed, and we've avoided accidents. Granted, normally her gasps and even screams are totally unnecessary and unnerving, but I don't ignore them, simply because of the few times she's saved our lives. ;-)

I guess I just find it sad that people give up on someone they care about simply because they look at "compatibilities" in a two-dimentional way... One point I neglected to mention in my first post was our children. We have four of the most beautiful and wonderful children, who I am quite "proud" to be sending out into the world. Their existence is owed to our relationship, and we have turned our worlds upside down so they could have a home where they felt wanted, comfortable and free to grow and develop in the best way possible. It took all of our combined strengths to combat our individual weaknesses. I do know this, our kids know few families where they think the other kids were near as fortunate as they were. Even my now-married son tells me this on occasion. It's funny how having children can really rock your world for the good--if we'll just let it. I guess maybe to summarize things. Probably the most important aspect of any relationship is humility. Humility means allowing yourself to be teachable by the other in your relationship. It means putting their needs, and your needs as a couple ahead of your own private "needs" (which usually, in reality, translates to wants). It means that life is greater than the sum of its parts, and we are, after all, only a small part of our own life--a very small part, and if we try to make ourselves a large part, all we really succeed in doing is reducing our own lives to a very small, meaningless existence. I call that a sad life. (We don't make ourselves bigger or our life bigger by reducing others in our lives, and by building ourselves up. All we do is make our life smaller and more insignificant.)

So, it wasn't myself I was thinking of when I replied, but others who might take away an unhealthy message from it.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
These are recommended matches for ISFP according to socionics:

ISFP +

Attractive relations:
+ ENTJ - Duality description under LIE-ESI
+ INTJ - Activity Relations
+ ESTJ - Semi-duality Relations
+ ENFJ - Mirage relations
+ ISTJ - Benefit relations where ISTJ is benefactor and ISFP is beneficiary
+ INFJ - Benefit relations where ISFP is benefactor and INFJ is beneficiary

Medium level relations:
+ ESFJ - Extinguishment Relations
+ ESFP - Mirror Relations
+ INFP - Kindred Relations
+ ISTP - Business Relations
+ ISFJ - Quasi-identical Relations
+ ISFP - Identical Relations

Difficult relations:
+ ENTP - Conflict Relations
+ INTP - Superego relations
+ ENFP - Supervision-relations where ENFP is supervisor and ISFP is supervisee
+ ESTP - Supervision-relations where ISFP is supervisor and ESTP is supervisee

Description of Romancing/Erotic Styles by type.

Please note that Socionics does not assign the j/p letter the same way as MBTI, so many ISFPs become ESI/ISFj in socionics.

These personal compatibilities are based on sameness of cognitive functions, with shared functions improving understanding and similarity of perspectives between two people. However, it should be mentioned that one's jungian type is not the only thing that influences personal compatibility. Enneagram type and instinctual stackings also have an effect.

Facebook groups have been opened for discussion and meetups:
Socionics International
Fi-Se Duality Discussion Group
Video: My experience with duality and what it feels like

·
Registered
ISFP | 1w9 6w7 4w3 sp/sx (phobic 6)
4,251 Posts
These are recommended matches for ISFP according to socionics:

ISFP +

Attractive relations:
+ ENTJ - Duality description under LIE-ESI
+ INTJ - Activity Relations
+ ESTJ - Semi-duality Relations
+ ENFJ - Mirage relations
+ ISTJ - Benefit relations where ISTJ is benefactor and ISFP is beneficiary
+ INFJ - Benefit relations where ISFP is benefactor and INFJ is beneficiary

Medium level relations:
+ ESFJ - Extinguishment Relations
+ ESFP - Mirror Relations
+ INFP - Kindred Relations
+ ISTP - Business Relations
+ ISFJ - Quasi-identical Relations
+ ISFP - Identical Relations

Difficult relations:
+ ENTP - Conflict Relations
+ INTP - Superego relations
+ ENFP - Supervision-relations where ENFP is supervisor and ISFP is supervisee
+ ESTP - Supervision-relations where ISFP is supervisor and ESTP is supervisee

Description of Romancing/Erotic Styles by type.

Please note that Socionics does not assign the j/p letter the same way as MBTI, so many ISFPs become ESI/ISFj in socionics.

These personal compatibilities are based on sameness of cognitive functions, with shared functions improving understanding and similarity of perspectives between two people. However, it should be mentioned that one's jungian type is not the only thing that influences personal compatibility. Enneagram type and instinctual stackings also have an effect.

Facebook groups have been opened for discussion and meetups:
Socionics International
Fi-Se Duality Discussion Group
Video: My experience with duality and what it feels like
I don't know much about socionics, but the majority of these attractive relations seem right to me. I've had crushes mostly on INTJs, ENTJs, ISTJs, and ESTJs, or i guess XXTJs is much simpler to say.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
What does the whole benefit relationship mean really?
The page linked isn't the best description. This one is better:
Relations of Benefit between psychological ("personality") types

But basically, it means that the relationship is unequal, or it is difficult for the two to maintain a balanced relationship. With the ISFP and INFJ, the ISFP is called the benefactor. So long as he is in the position of helping the INFJ, things work ok, but the INFJ thinks they see areas where they can help the ISFP, but when they try, things fall apart. The thing is, INFJs need to be needed--it's their makeup. But ISFPs don't need to need, and rebel against that. Plus, the iNFJ wants to help in ways that the ISFP feels threatened, so the ISFP is likely to retreat, or barring that possibility, attack in desperation. This is the worst-case scenario.

This also explains why I have a wonderful relationship with my INFJ daughter. Up until now, I have been in the benefactor role. We'll see how it goes, now she's on her own as an adult. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm not too fond of ISFPs. From my own experiences, they seem not to be engaged, have a hard time a keeping conversation going, and don't think about consequences of actions as well as tend to not learn from bad ones.

Maybe I just met a few bad or mistyped ISFPs? *shrugs*

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I'm not too fond of ISFPs. From my own experiences, they seem not to be engaged, have a hard time a keeping conversation going, an don't think about consequences of actions as well as tend to not learn from bad ones.

Maybe I just met a few bad or mistyped ISFPs? *shrugs*
no that sounds about right :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
no that sounds about right :)
I don't think those characteristics are a direct consequence of being ISFP, though, or that they are specific to the type. There must be other variables involved like enneagram and factors unrelated to typology, because I have certainly known non-ISFPs and even non-SPs that I would consider to fit at least a segment of that description. I also don't think anyone who knows me personally would think to describe me that way, and I wouldn't, either, even if I was being brutally honest with myself.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
From experience, I honestly feel I am better paired with J's- particularly INTJ's as I don't get bored of them.
P to J keeps things in balance. With two Ps in a relationship it feels like too much confusion and uncertainty, not enough direction and organization, while two Js try to direct each other which never works :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
ferroequinologist;4339444 As to the particular problem of ISFP males said:
Tainted Streetlight[/I] , if you were married to an ISFP man, over time, you would be struggling with this point of weakness in your ISFP man. At some point, you'd want him to man up, grow up, and get on with life--but it's never going to happen... leaving an emptiness or desire for more. And depending on how committed you were, you would eventually either cut and run or give up and withdraw into yourself.
Can you elaborate on this? You're correct that women desire a competent/confident man, but I believe an ISFP can reach that through maturity just like anyone else. As an ISFP are you only speaking from personal experience?

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Can you elaborate on this? You're correct that women desire a competent/confident man, but I believe an ISFP can reach that through maturity just like anyone else. As an ISFP are you only speaking from personal experience?
Ferro must mean an ISFP Fi-centered male like this guy. In place of progressing through relationships and maturing he finds that women are all to blame for his hurts, ego centric Feeling focus: Gamma Examples - Page 10

81 - 100 of 104 Posts