Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be in a school with only 50 students per grade, and everyone built their egos like their life depended on them.
I love how everyone realized they really ain't been shit. :laughing::laughing:

(ik I ain't shit either)

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
I'm not in college. This is my first year in the torture chamber we call high school, and it's so boring!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I'm not in college. This is my first year in the torture chamber we call high school, and it's so boring!
You’re absolutely right. It’s good to know such a young person has such amazing self-insight (you know you’re type in high school)

Weird thing is dude, like you will miss it once it’s gone. The good people and the bad people, the “popular kids” become more understandable as you get older. The dumb/mean kids reap what they sow. The nerds become more emphatic and achieved, because they actually paid attention.

See it more as an an episode of Freaks and Geeks, I wish I watched that show more often while I was in high school. There’s more to the confrontational and reputation-less high school and more to appreciate than you think. Take up opportunities. Sneak into parties. Pursue your interests and be different - some people get a big pay cheque at the end because they did commit to their interests in high school!

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
You’re absolutely right. It’s good to know such a young person has such amazing self-insight (you know you’re type in high school)

Weird thing is dude, like you will miss it once it’s gone. The good people and the bad people, the “popular kids” become more understandable as you get older. The dumb/mean kids reap what they sow. The nerds become more emphatic and achieved, because they actually paid attention.

See it more as an an episode of Freaks and Geeks, I wish I watched that show more often while I was in high school. There’s more to the confrontational and reputation-less high school and more to appreciate than you think. Take up opportunities. Sneak into parties. Pursue your interests and be different - some people get a big pay cheque at the end because they did commit to their interests in high school!
We don't really have mean or popular kids at my school. It's a sisterhood(I go to a Catholic single gender school).

·
Registered
29,043 Posts
College is really terrible compared to the ideal. Now that I have a stronger interest in subject, I have come to enjoy learning there a lot more. I also like being hundreds of miles away from home. My friends can very often get out of hand and make life miserable though when I'm trying to sleep.

The center of intellectual discourse and such. All nonsense. This is a worker factory, a lot more than high school is. High school doesn't mention jobs. High school is a college student factory.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I used to be in a school with only 50 students per grade, and everyone built their egos like their life depended on them.
I love how everyone realized they really ain't been shit. :laughing::laughing:

(ik I ain't shit either)
Next year is my final year. In my second year, I talked to a 32 year old man who ate potato chips in a lonely room. and went to law school, and his view of university is the same as mine now. I was just confused at the beginning, just all the time. None of the assignments really made sense, but I ended up surprisingly getting to the top of my class and getting into honours. Only to drop out and transfer into a completely different program, because the practical reality of being a lawyer for years must suck a—s and there’s still zero creativity in an environment like that.

I believe that’s a very INTP thing, because Zuckerberg himself also had problems paying attention, and that’s his reason for making a online lecture content webpage he made before Facebook. So I’m not too bummed about missing out.

I’m in my final year and have transferred to another career path and program (science and psychology). Now I see it more for what it is - something you didn’t need if you were looking at the world in a different perspective. If you had dedicated your time to something else - an interest or passion which outlives you. You need to create something for other people, not just study in a cubicle until the next big idea comes to you, and you only. It needs to have a practical effect on the world, a lot of my colleagues ended up figuring the same out about university. Most dropped out under the pressure before the final year and the lack of grades they were getting, I persevered despite their negativity.

We all had fun in the social scene of university though, but really dude, that’s not university at all.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
We don't really have mean or popular kids at my school. It's a sisterhood(I go to a Catholic single gender school).
Well, hello LadyBird.

Anyway, it still applies. xD doesn’t matter if it’s a religious school. I went to seven different schools, one was religious, they all ended up being a similiar way. It’s human nature, they’ll come around eventually

I guess the only other advice to give would be relationships. don’t reject the boy that comes your way because he doesn’t fit the ideal , settle for the one that’s there for experience. I wish someone would have given my grade level that advice, would have saved a lot of suffering left and right.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Well, hello LadyBird.

Anyway, it still applies. xD doesn’t matter if it’s a religious school. I went to seven different schools, one was religious, they all ended up being a similiar way. It’s human nature, they’ll come around eventually
I don't know what you are talking about. I'm not getting bullied or anything, I'm just saying that high school is quite boring so far.

Reactions: xraydav

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I don't know what you are talking about. I'm not getting bullied or anything, I'm just saying that high school is quite boring so far.

Oh no , that’s not what I was saying. Just giving wholesome well balanced advice for the years to come . The whole “It will get better” sorta thing. :) also that’s why you should develop an interest, and bring it into terms with the world. Like making short films and showcasing them to institutes, and school clubs. I remember I did that. It also has a big pay off once you leave..

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Oh no , that’s not what I was saying. Just giving wholesome well balanced advice for the years to come . The whole “It will get better” sorta thing. :)
Oh, okay. Well thank you for that.

Reactions: xraydav

·
Registered
INTP
4,414 Posts
My high school and university experiences were decades ago, but here goes:

High school was terrible. Bullies, peer pressure, cliques, popular kids, etc. Granted, some of the popular kids were nice, but they weren't about to hang out with me. Also, some teachers were mean. I don't necessarily blame them, as they were dealing with teenagers every day. And although I (well, actually my father) could choose which stream I was in and which electives I'd take, there wasn't a lot of choice. So if I sucked at math, too bad, I had to suffer through. The only aspect of high school I enjoyed was the actual learning itself, and some teachers who encouraged us to really think about what we were learning.

I quit school the day I could do so legally, which was on my 16th birthday at the beginning of Grade 11.

At that time, most universities in my country had "adult student" policies, so I was able to eventually attend university. I went to university twice--for a few years in my early 20s, which was mostly fun and games and I didn't receive many credits; and then for two years in my late 20s, where I worked hard and completed my degree.

The first time, I had a blast, made friends, etc. Unlike in the US, the frat scene is not big here, and I didn't have to live in a dorm, so there was almost no peer pressure or being made to feel like an outsider. The professors and the learning were interesting. Other things were interesting too, like meeting students from all over the world. But I had no self-discipline and didn't do very well.

The second time, I was a single mother and desperate to receive my degree so I could get a decent job. It was just work work work. It wasn't fun, but I accomplished what I needed to. The learning itself was interesting. I didn't go to my graduation ceremony. I figured after all that expense and work, the least they could do was send me the damn certificate in the mail. And they did.

My grades were better in high school than in university. Maybe if I'd finished high school I would have been better prepared, but I didn't really understand the systems in university, e.g., what was expected in an essay, or how different disciplines approach knowledge differently.

If I were to go to university again, I would try to limit my "fun" to maybe one day a week, or to an hour a day. I'd still try to have friends and be sociable, but I'd concentrate more on finding friends who could support me in figuring out the system, what to do in order to pass, how to write an essay, etc. Unfortunately, the student groups that should have been useful for this (e.g., Anthropology Club) had other agendas.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
College is really terrible compared to the ideal. Now that I have a stronger interest in subject, I have come to enjoy learning there a lot more. I also like being hundreds of miles away from home. My friends can very often get out of hand and make life miserable though when I'm trying to sleep.

The center of intellectual discourse and such. All nonsense. This is a worker factory, a lot more than high school is. High school doesn't mention jobs. High school is a college student factory.
I am aware.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My high school and university experiences were decades ago, but here goes:

High school was terrible. Bullies, peer pressure, cliques, popular kids, etc. Granted, some of the popular kids were nice, but they weren't about to hang out with me. Also, some teachers were mean. I don't necessarily blame them, as they were dealing with teenagers every day. And although I (well, actually my father) could choose which stream I was in and which electives I'd take, there wasn't a lot of choice. So if I sucked at math, too bad, I had to suffer through. The only aspect of high school I enjoyed was the actual learning itself, and some teachers who encouraged us to really think about what we were learning.

I quit school the day I could do so legally, which was on my 16th birthday at the beginning of Grade 11.

At that time, most universities in my country had "adult student" policies, so I was able to eventually attend university. I went to university twice--for a few years in my early 20s, which was mostly fun and games and I didn't receive many credits; and then for two years in my late 20s, where I worked hard and completed my degree.

The first time, I had a blast, made friends, etc. Unlike in the US, the frat scene is not big here, and I didn't have to live in a dorm, so there was almost no peer pressure or being made to feel like an outsider. The professors and the learning were interesting. Other things were interesting too, like meeting students from all over the world. But I had no self-discipline and didn't do very well.

The second time, I was a single mother and desperate to receive my degree so I could get a decent job. It was just work work work. It wasn't fun, but I accomplished what I needed to. The learning itself was interesting. I didn't go to my graduation ceremony. I figured after all that expense and work, the least they could do was send me the damn certificate in the mail. And they did.

My grades were better in high school than in university. Maybe if I'd finished high school I would have been better prepared, but I didn't really understand the systems in university, e.g., what was expected in an essay, or how different disciplines approach knowledge differently.

If I were to go to university again, I would try to limit my "fun" to maybe one day a week, or to an hour a day. I'd still try to have friends and be sociable, but I'd concentrate more on finding friends who could support me in figuring out the system, what to do in order to pass, how to write an essay, etc. Unfortunately, the student groups that should have been useful for this (e.g., Anthropology Club) had other agendas.
lmao I just go to the professor.

·
Registered
307 Posts
In high school I had very playful classmates, we even managed to do a 5th gen Pokémon tournament and a race to the 2nd medal in Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire during the lessons.
The teachers and the ones higher in the hierarchy were as close minded as it can be while pretending to be open minded, the worst part was the myriad of boring, meaningless seminaries and encounters you're not allowed skip if you show up at school (but there was always the "fake an hart disease" card if it was so boring), there were also so many useless rules to outnumber the ones that do something more than piss off everybody, and don't let me getting started about the bureaucracy! It seems like you have to sign 17 documents if you have to go to shit during the lesson time! And nope, you're not allowed to wear diapers. And you're also not allowed to shit on yourself.

The start of the collage was a big relief: I was finally out of that hell.
Also you're allowed to just get the fuck out of the classroom if the lesson is boring or if you think you have something better to do is a game changer.
Also, the ENTP calculus professor made the transition even better: half of the lesson was me and him exchanging jokes (that actually make the lesson go on).

Reactions: bigpunbape

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
In high school I had very playful classmates, we even managed to do a 5th gen Pokémon tournament and a race to the 2nd medal in Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire during the lessons.
The teachers and the ones higher in the hierarchy were as close minded as it can be while pretending to be open minded, the worst part was the myriad of boring, meaningless seminaries and encounters you're not allowed skip if you show up at school (but there was always the "fake an hart disease" card if it was so boring), there were also so many useless rules to outnumber the ones that do something more than piss off everybody, and don't let me getting started about the bureaucracy! It seems like you have to sign 17 documents if you have to go to shit during the lesson time! And nope, you're not allowed to wear diapers. And you're also not allowed to shit on yourself.

The start of the collage was a big relief: I was finally out of that hell.
Also you're allowed to just get the fuck out of the classroom if the lesson is boring or if you think you have something better to do is a game changer.
Also, the ENTP calculus professor made the transition even better: half of the lesson was me and him exchanging jokes (that actually make the lesson go on).
holy shit it's so cool that you and your professor could do that. The best I can do is talk with my chem prof and we rip through juul pods together.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Horrendous. Failed a class that brought me back a semester my first year because I decided not to show up to 50% of the classes. Of course I didn't show up to the first day where they read the policy and I didnt read the syllabus .>50% attendance = F "Durr if you dont show up to class you arent going to do well so if you do happen to do well we will fail you anyways to set an example". Their reasoning was fucking retarded, but not as retarded as me ;_; .I figured I was good on the material and thought about finding ways to turn my absences into excused absences but ultimately decided against it. I did the same thing the next semester for reasons unknown to me now except I got creative with it and grabbed a bunch of blank schedules to turn U's into E's. I shouldn't have been in school my first couple semesters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Horrendous. Failed a class that brought me back a semester my first year because I decided not to show up to 50% of the classes. Of course I didn't show up to the first day where they read the policy and I didnt read the syllabus .>50% attendance = F "Durr if you dont show up to class you arent going to do well so if you do happen to do well we will fail you anyways to set an example". Their reasoning was fucking retarded, but not as retarded as me ;_; .I figured I was good on the material and thought about finding ways to turn my absences into excused absences but ultimately decided against it. I did the same thing the next semester for reasons unknown to me now except I got creative with it and grabbed a bunch of blank schedules to turn U's into E's. I shouldn't have been in school my first couple semesters.
ah I see. I was fortunate enough to have been pushed enough to be successful in college. I apologize for even thinking about having a gap year.

·
Registered
INTP
4,414 Posts
lmao I just go to the professor.
Yes, I could have done that, but I didn't know it was an option. That's one of the things I could have found out from fellow students, if I'd been discussing school with them rather than just having fun.

Fellow students could also have been (and sometimes were) sources of information re: the finer points of student loans, the best place to study, the fact that you didn't really have to read that book (even though the prof said you should), etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts