Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yes, I suffer from low blood pressure, and I know no one is a doctor here, but fast movements, or too much of it, can make me faint/dizzy/blurred vision/blind for a moment.

Would you say this would prevent me from certain jobs? Like ladders, with packing shelves. Because I would be up and down. I am being forced to take a job, for many reason I cannot do it, but if it is health, they may take it more seriously.

What is your opinon?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
"So, how can you prevent low blood pressure?

1. Drink lots of fluids to maintain blood volume and avoid dehydration. This is especially important during physical exertion or heat exposure. These conditions may bring about excessive sweating, causing a loss in body fluids. In addition, these conditions may cause the body’s temperature to rise. When this occurs, blood vessels respond by enlarging. This causes a drop in blood pressure.

2. If you are suffering from diarrhea or severe vomiting, make sure to drink lots of fluids to keep your body hydrated.

3. Avoid overly hot showers or baths, which can cause the body’s temperature to rise.

4. After resting or sitting, stand up slowly and carefully to help your body to adjust to the pull of gravity.

5. Make sure to get enough sleep. Fatigue is also a contributing factor in hypotension, especially orthostatic hypotension.

6. Eat small meals. Eating heavy meals can play a role in hypotension, since the digestion process requires more blood in the digestive tract. So, rather then eating three large meals eat many small meals to help the digestive system.

7. Avoid alcohol.

8. Avoid standing for long periods of time.

9. Some experts recommend wearing stockings, which may help decrease the accumulation of blood in the lower limbs, which occurs when abruptly standing.

10. If you have just begun a new medication, such as an anti-depressant, and have noticed lately that you feel faint or lightheaded upon standing, talk to your doctor. Some medications cause low blood pressure.

Source: Health tips: 10 ways to prevent low blood pressure

"Living With Hypotension

Doctors often can successfully treat hypotension. Many people who have the disorder live normal, healthy lives.

If you have low blood pressure, you can take steps to prevent or limit symptoms, such as dizzy spells and fainting.

If you have orthostatic hypotension, get up slowly after sitting or lying down. Eat small, low-carbohydrate meals if you have postprandial hypotension (a form of orthostatic hypotension).

If you have neurally mediated hypotension, don’t stand for long periods. Also, drink plenty of fluids and try to avoid unpleasant or scary situations. Learn to recognize symptoms and take action to raise your blood pressure. Children who have NMH often outgrow it.

Other lifestyle changes also can help you control low blood pressure. For more information, talk to your doctor and see “How Is Hypotension Treated?”

Ask your doctor about learning how to measure your own blood pressure. This will help you find out what a normal blood pressure reading is for you. Keeping a record of blood pressure readings done by health professionals also can help you learn more about your blood pressure."

Source: Hypotension, Living With

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you went out of your way to find good information. But all I wanted to know, is do you think it would prevent me from doing warehouse jobs?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Yes. This is why I posted what I posted:

1. Drink lots of fluids to maintain blood volume and avoid dehydration. This is especially important during physical exertion or heat exposure. These conditions may bring about excessive sweating, causing a loss in body fluids. In addition, these conditions may cause the body’s temperature to rise. When this occurs, blood vessels respond by enlarging. This causes a drop in blood pressure.
Will you be able to have fluids on hand to consume consistently throughout the day as you are physically exerting yourself? I knew someone who worked in a warehouse and was only allowed to consume beverages on breaks.

After resting or sitting, stand up slowly and carefully to help your body to adjust to the pull of gravity.
If you are stocking for example then you will be rising quickly at times.

6. Eat small meals. Eating heavy meals can play a role in hypotension, since the digestion process requires more blood in the digestive tract. So, rather then eating three large meals eat many small meals to help the digestive system.
Again, access to these things throughout the day? Or just on breaks.

7. Avoid alcohol.
Warehouse jobs make people want to really hit the bottle when they get home in the evenings. Jk about this one. ; P

8. Avoid standing for long periods of time.
Yeah.. lol..

If you have orthostatic hypotension, get up slowly after sitting or lying down. Eat small, low-carbohydrate meals if you have postprandial hypotension (a form of orthostatic hypotension).

If you have neurally mediated hypotension, don’t stand for long periods. Also, drink plenty of fluids and try to avoid unpleasant or scary situations.
And this was to pretty much reiterate, in a different way, the points mentioned before.

Reactions: firedell

·
Registered
397 Posts
i imagine that if you're being treated by a physician there's no reason why not. working in a werehouse would involve lifting and moving which would raise your BP; it depends on the severety and incidence of your symptoms . have you tried increasing your salt intake? gatoraide maybe? my dad loved pulled pork sandwiches and it sure raised his bp:laughing:.

i bet that this isnt the only thing going on tho so yea prom is right. see what a doc says first.

Reactions: firedell

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I used to have very low blood pressure, and still do have fairly low. It was never so bad that I wasn't able to sense what was going on and slow down or sit down to prevent me from fainting. It has never stopped me from doing anything I wanted.

So, I'd guess that unless you suffer from suddenly just collapsing on the floor from too low blood pressure, I don't see why there should be a problem with the job. I'm sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear... :unsure:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I pretty much agree with promethea's points.

It could be extremely dangerous using ladders if you are prone to dizzy spells and temporary black outs. I know how that goes because I have low blood pressure as well and the same thing happens to me when I get up too fast or turn my head too fast on occasion when it gets a little too low.

If you can manage it, and you feel safe, then it should be fine. If not, then it would be a legit concern.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts