Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quotes from the intj logo thread:

The thing about being INTJ is not just that we have intelligence, (that is not unique to us), it is that we have a plan, and we know that that plan will work. Our logo should include the words "Trust me, I know what I'm doing." Hmmm... what is that in Latin?
That is the point I tried to make with my post, INTJ's do not have sole claim to intelligence. INTJs that claim that all INTJs are intelligent are stupid and automatically invalidate their own argument.
a few people got a bit excited about all this even though no one at any point was actually claiming that all intj's are intelligent, or even that intjs are by definition more intelligent than anyone else, merely that we possess intelligence......

....however it prompted me to wonder more about this ....

everyone has a degree of intelligence, some of us just have more of it than others
the scale i found goes like this:
Over 140 - Genius or near genius
120 - 140 - Very superior intelligence
110 - 119 - Superior intelligence
90 - 109 - Normal or average intelligence
80 - 89 - Dullness
70 - 79 - Borderline deficiency
Under 70 - Definite feeble-mindedness

i would be incredibly interested to know:
* the percentage of people who test as intj's also fall into any of the lower 3 (or 4) categories, and
* whether people who fall into the lower 3 (or 4) categories tend to test as any particular MB types?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i guess my question really revolves around people who have an iq of 109 or less, ie below what is officially considered superior intelligence or more
hands up anybody in the intj bit of the forum with an iq of less than 109?
should this be a vote thing?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
INTJ's are normally, as much as I hate to admit it never wrong and very smart. NTJ'S also have a lot of pride, so I don't think you are going to get very far with this. Who would willingly say "Oh yeah count me in, I'm retarded"? But good luck.
i agree, i would go so far as to suggest anyone with an iq of less than 109 might not even be on this forum at all - is that wrong of me? apologies in advance to anyone if i offend - but :

* does anyone know how people on the mid to lower end of the iq spectrum tend to MB test?

* is it in fact accurate (rather than being irrationally superior) to say that INTJ's do have a significantly greater number of people of 'superior intelligence or higher' amongst us compared to other MB types

* are there types, who have a higher percentage than intj's amongst them, of superior intelligence or higher

i'm just asking the questions? does anyone have any facts?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I think that the INTJ probabilistic distribution for intelligence/IQ is quite favourable. I wouldn't say that our EQ is particularly poor either. People seem to mistake EQ for 'piles of sympathy' as opposed to observing emotions. I have heard quite a few people note that INTJs are particularly observant in all details (although we can often be overwhelmed). Generally we consider other peoples feelings on matters and simply disregard them as less important than the rational-idealist position and our very low requirements to be sympathetic/empathic to other peoples emotional needs.

In short, IQ distribution above average, EQ distribution middle and then some (but we generally don't care what this tells us).

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
i agree, i would go so far as to suggest anyone with an iq of less than 109 might not even be on this forum at all - is that wrong of me? apologies in advance to anyone if i offend - but :

* does anyone know how people on the mid to lower end of the iq spectrum tend to MB test?

* is it in fact accurate (rather than being irrationally superior) to say that INTJ's do have a significantly greater number of people of 'superior intelligence or higher' amongst us compared to other MB types

* are there types, who have a higher percentage than intj's amongst them, of superior intelligence or higher

i'm just asking the questions? does anyone have any facts?
Hypothetically speaking of INTJs are geniuses then maybe the shadow isn't quite as smart? Esfp? IDK.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I took an IQ test sometime in elementary school I think, but I don't remember what the number was. Can the number change throughout your life?

·
Registered
20 Posts
IQ SchmIQ!! :bored:

Here's a thought: Why don't we look at people for their virtues and qualities? Anyone familiar with Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences? (last time I counted there were 16) IQ isn't by far the be all and end all of capacity. Have mercy on those lesser fortunate and pray those with greater capacity have mercy on us.

As a small child I was tested with a result of the scale (WISC). It was the highest score the psychologist had ever measured or seen in person and so high he could not point an exact number upon it. In truth, I should've never been told the results of the test. Later in my childhood it has been repeated with similar results. One caveat, I questioned its validity due to my previous understanding of IQ tests. :dry:

All in all, we must make do with what we're given. There are always some that got and others that ain't. I can say that being one that got, it ain't a blessing unless expressed adequately. My problem is that I never knew what to do with this potential. For someone with lesser capacity it's easier to reach more of their potential but therein lies the challenge for everyone. Bring an intuitive person, I tend to value the capacity of heart over my powers of reason. Reason upon a loving heart I then consider to be light upon light... :wink:

·
Registered
5,694 Posts

As a small child I was tested with a result of the scale (WISC). It was the highest score the psychologist had ever measured or seen in person and so high he could not point an exact number upon it.
Ohhh please tell us more about how FREAKING smart you are. NOT. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,687 Posts

Here's a thought: Why don't we look at people for their virtues and qualities? Anyone familiar with Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences? (last time I counted there were 16) IQ isn't by far the be all and end all of capacity. Have mercy on those lesser fortunate and pray those with greater capacity have mercy on us.

As a small child I was tested with a result of the scale (WISC). It was the highest score the psychologist had ever measured or seen in person and so high he could not point an exact number upon it. In truth, I should've never been told the results of the test. Later in my childhood it has been repeated with similar results. One caveat, I questioned its validity due to my previous understanding of IQ tests. :dry:

All in all, we must make do with what we're given. There are always some that got and others that ain't. I can say that being one that got, it ain't a blessing unless expressed adequately. My problem is that I never knew what to do with this potential. For someone with lesser capacity it's easier to reach more of their potential but therein lies the challenge for everyone. Bring an intuitive person, I tend to value the capacity of heart over my powers of reason. Reason upon a loving heart I then consider to be light upon light... :wink:
Here's a thought: Who said that we only valued intelligence?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

In truth, I should've never been told the results of the test. Later in my childhood it has been repeated with similar results. One caveat, I questioned its validity due to my previous understanding of IQ tests. :dry:
:wink:
This is an excellent point, given the fact that every person who developed an IQ test later questioned its validity and said that the test was actually selecting for something other than innate intelligence.

Part of the problem, to me, is that many of us like to find a quick tick-box explanation for things rather than taking a broader view and really thinking about implications, weighing information, and deciding what will make us happy.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
No apparently. Your IQ is supposed to remain constant.
I'm not sure that's 100% right. There are also differences in scale from test to test and you can test differently depending on your mood. People who are depressed test lower that they would if they are not depressed, for example. You can also test differently depending on how the test is conducted.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
We kind of do, don't we? I mean, along with grammar, punctuation and logic.
My grammar Nazism is not serious. And I would not be attracted to a partner who only had intelligence. I'm nothing special myself, why would I be?

I'm not sure that's 100% right. There are also differences in scale from test to test and you can test differently depending on your mood. People who are depressed test lower that they would if they are not depressed, for example. You can also test differently depending on how the test is conducted.
Yes, but that's with outside effects. Your IQ score will not have actually changed.

On a side note, I don't view IQ as a straight valid measurement of someone's intelligence.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts