Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am 19 and thinking about what I want to do with my life and this is what I allways come back to - Low vs High intensity life

When I was younger lots of my self esteem was based on my personal strengths (Obvious I know but stay with me). So I assumed I would have a career that allowed me to reach my potential in areas where I can really acheive things.

Now I am older I am more secure and I no longer feel the need to prove myself in this way (Thats right I know I'm good now pass the doritos). So basicly Im wondering If I should try and work hard to accomplish my potential (I would like to be a journalist comentating on political/sociel issues) or just get an average job which I dont invest much energy into. This would still allow me to meet my intellectual and social needs in my free time.

What is the best life?

Any thourghts? I am particuly keen to hear from older INTPs and how their ambition levels have varied over the years and what observations they can make in hindsight. Also are there any INTPs who feel that they are in a similar prediciment. Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That's a matter of preference. If you can manage to find a job in which you can do what you like and not feel like crap at the start of each day, then kudos. If you have enough free time afterwards to expend into your other interests, then more power too you. On the other end of the scale, if you take up a low paying average job, you will have lots of time to pursue your interests for the sake of being interests. Personally I would go for the high-end potential job, but that's because I enjoy my interests to the point of near obsession. I don't really know if that helped your predicament or not, it's just my observation of the situation.

Post script: No, I don't have any thourghts.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
It's perfectly possible to find a career that you have interest in, and there are plenty of suggestions based on type. Get into one of those, and don't make the mistake I did and get in a career that you hate. I was successful enough and could have done more, but hated my life and expended lots of energy interacting with lots of people at work.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Do whatever you feel passionate about or are genuinely interested in. If you don't have anything you have genuine passion or interest for, or what it is that you are passionate about is just completely unrealistic or beyond your means to accomplish, then go for a job that won't make you kill yourself and allows you to do what you want outside of work. I'm fortunate to have a job that allows me to get by, and that I can cease thinking about as soon as I leave the office. That way outside of work I am free to pursue whatever other interests I have and not worry about my job permeating into every aspect of my life.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i've worked in an industry quite opposite my interests because the market was abysmal and my areas of interest aren't exactly lucrative (sometimes at night you can still hear the death rattle of the publishing industry). it's not something i recommend long-term, but it did pay the student loans and allow me to save toward my currently enjoyed autonomy. i was highly ambitious ten years ago and am still ambitious but i find it manifests in a quieter way now. i'm entirely happy to do menial or part-time work which affords me the hours and funds to pursue my more ambitious and artistic endeavors. i prefer behind-the-scenes work. i write and publish and lately have been thinking a lot about social media and the current structure of the internet. i do have some entrepreneurial curiosity and have discussed with a friend the possibility of conceptualizing an internet start-up. i have a lot of desire to innovate or revolutionize current systems or trends, whatever the industry or medium. i think at the phase of life i'm in currently (coupled with the unique and highly temporary position of not being in dire need of cash flow), my interests are broad and i'm open to experimentation. i'm happy doing a variety of possible things as long as they allow me to somehow implement change or innovation. i also used to be much more of a fast-paced city person ten years ago, but now in my ripe old mid-twenties it's not as important to me to live in new york or the eye of some hipster hurricane. these days i appreciate smaller cities like san francisco, portland or baltimore with access to both remote nature and cultural variety/venues. my desires are less complicated at this phase in my life.

anyway (WHOA NELLY THE TANGENT HORSIE; a caveat: i'm currently ill and therefore temporarily insane; you might take this into account when considering my advice), you're young and should sample the vast array at the employment banquet. being that you're in journalism, you might consider trying for an internship or entry-level position in that field and see whether it could be up your alley. i do recommend sampling a variety of different career options and keeping in mind that you're never "locked in" to any one field. if you start out in one area and like it, great. if you want to try something different, allow yourself to. i try not to think in terms of "career" because i just plain don't intend to do only one thing in life. plus being a P sort of enhances the "oohlookatthekitty" distraction feature. or da vinci gene, depending on your perspective. telecommuting is also one of my favourite inventions. if you're anything like me and not a fan of the social aspect (or early rising! did someone say doritos?), it's worth checking into companies that offer it, and i would think it's relatively common in journalism. other goals that might be attractive to our type could be entrepreneurship or something that would allow one to be one's own boss and make one's own hours.

but starting out, i vote shoot for your area of interest first. you can always land something more "practical" later and hone your skills in the meantime. shoot first, ask questions later. don't rule yourself out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i do recommend sampling a variety of different career options and keeping in mind that you're never "locked in" to any one field.
Being only 22 myself, I highly recommend (at least initially) adhering to this advice. School was so limiting to me and so utterly dull and boring that by the time I finished I actually had zero idea at all what I was interested in, passionate about, or what kind of work I would be very good at. Having spent the last five years working a variety of jobs, traveling much, and expanding my view of the world by exploring how other perceive and understand it has helped me immensely in discovering myself.

However, since you (unlike me) seem to have some interest in something, I'd say go for it. Even if it doesn't work out for you, I have personally found that I much prefer to find work that I can put energy into and get a sense of satisfaction from at the end of the proverbial day, and that it's worth my time looking for it or working towards it. I've discovered, for myself at least, that working full time in a job that I don't like just absolutely drains me of any energy I might have left over, and I feel like such a zombie the rest of the time that I don't really feel like I can pursue any interests of mine with much enthusiasm or have much energy left to get out there and do something social, even something quiet with close friends.

In summary: For me personally, the trade-off of value in a job I can't give myself to is just not worth it, since it eats the rest of my life. I am definitely my best self when I'm just blazing along in high-intensity mode (although, knowing myself to know when to slow down for a little bit, and how I recharge and rest best).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts