Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with lucid dreaming? I started to in high school for awhile.

It was incredible while it lasted, like I'd accessed some secret crevice of my mind which expanded infinitely as I willed it to, all under my control.

Sleep paralysis cut that short, prob the most terrifying experience of my life...ever since its happened i've lost the ability to become that comfortable/aware in the dream state. I was happily lucid for about a month.

Now that I think about it, I damn near dread falling asleep. My dreams are rarely peaceful and calm, never lucid...they feel inevitably disturbing or terrifying. I even fought insomnia for the past two years, went a week without sleep once.

I was zen out of my fucking mind while lucid though, in a good way. Nirvana-like goodness. I sorely miss it.

Anyone ever experience a similar situation?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mm I lucid dream all the time and really like it. Although sometimes if less than happy can stay in that particular dreams mood all day.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know two or three friends that practice this, myself I can't even remember what I dream about anymore, which I think kind of makes it impossible for me.

Last time i took a look on it, I flat out forgot it, which means I'm now going to put some time into it.
(Blasted memory!:crazy:)

Also, sleep paralysis, while 'uncomfortable' is passing, I'd suggest you simply live through it, if things are difficult, the reward is usually worth it:proud:

Edited: After looking around a bit, it seems like I'm not completely screwed, sooo. I'm giving it a shot tonight, and will keep trying until i succeed =) Thanks for reminding me!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think I had my first lucid dream last night. My dreams are usually fragmented but I had this moment in my dream last night which felt more vivid. I don't remember being aware that I was dreaming, but I distinctly remember feeling that this scene was somehow different from the others. I was in a field on a mountaintop surrounded by trees watching the most spectacular sunset. The colours were out of this world. I could feel the wind on my face as I lay in the dewy grass. Its perfection moved me to tears. It was a if I had passed into the world of forms and witnessed the ''perfect'' sunset. Does this sound like lucid dreaming?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Anyone have experience with lucid dreaming?
Haha, no, but I often halt my dreams and think, "Wait, this couldn't really be happening. I must be dreaming."

However, I always convince myself that it is really happening. :crazy:

·
Registered
602 Posts
ive had lucid dreams before, theyre awesome. its too bad i dont have control over when i have those dreams. i havent had one in a while but i always hope for them.

sleep paralysis is fuckin scary lol, its only happened to me once but it freaked me out. i fell asleep in a kind of awkward position on my bed, i was kind of on my back w/ my arms on each side of me. and i woke up, my eyes were open and i wasnt dreaming or sleeping anymore but i couldnt move. i freaked out and tried to get out of it and move and as hard as i tried to say anything or move, nothing worked. eventually, after a min or so my body woke up i guess lol. it was pretty scary but i wouldnt worry about it too much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeeeeeees! I started to have a lot of lucid dreams some time ago and I hated it cause everytime I noticed I was dreaming my mind inmediately perceived the possibility of having a nigthmare so I got terrified cause I knew that stupid demonic clown would appear again! I had the same dream like 5 times in a row and in all of them I tried to wake up so I appeared in what it seemed to be my room but some seconds after that I noticed that it wasn't my room but my mind trying to confuse me again:angry: That for like 3 times in every dream. Luckily I have not had one of those lately:proud:.

Oh, and yes, I had a sleep paralysis too, like in the first of those dreams. I didn't know what to think, if it was the reality or the end of my dream but I only knew it was a terrifying feeling, as if I drowned, as if I wanted to scream, move, or do anything but could not. I thought it was like some mini heart attack but I dared not to tell anyone. Then I discovered in the internet what it was.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
For anyone not-in-the-know-, lucid dreaming makes you realize you're in a dream. -- I double verified just in case I was wrong.

As for me, I've had a number of lucid dreams in which I have taken control of them. I can count on 2 hands the times I full took control -- most of which I often turned them INTO a sex dream, other times were just flying or exploring. In a few rare cases, I was aware it was a dream/nightmare and forced my eyes to open.

I read a psychology article the other day that says gamers are more likely to have lucid dreams and that they can often take control over the dream, similar to your perspective in a game.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Last night I witnessed my first sleep paralysis ever and I read it happens a couple times in a lifetime?! Mine wasn't frightening it just felt like my ears were popped and everything was all trippy and delayed.. At first I was like holy shit this is pretty scary lol, but then I just let it go through me and it was pretty awesome.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, but I can't induce them. The effectiveness of a lucid dream depends on personal will, but it ends up getting ruined due to my own fear. I only had weak lucid dreams though so that means their not vivid. As I get older, my dreams become less vivid sadly.

My dreams sometimes turn lucid when I realize that I'm in a nightmare. I remember trying to fly to escape something, but it did not work. I ended fighting a bunch of beast with a sword, that didn't turn out well, and I tried to commit suicide in a nightmare to escape it, and that kinda work since I did become as spirit in that said dream.

Sleep paralysis, are no fun as I end up getting this aching pain in my spine. Its like someone running a finger down my spine, and the only way to get out of it is falling back to sleep. I can't lucid my way out of those since I'm technically awake. They only happen when I sleep in a lot though. I get that same ache in my spine when a nightmare is ending as well, and can feel it when I wake up.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm not sure if I've had sleep paralysis.. but I have been laying down with my eyes closed once, while awake.. and all of a sudden I find myself "in" my body but not really attached to it.. It was more like it was a shell and I was in the head or neck area.

I've also been doing the same thing and then my whole body starts to feel different... Almost like I'm getting sucked downward into something. This is fairly uncomfortable. I think it might be called vibrations but if it's a vibration, it's very fine

I normally get into lucid dreaming situations when I'm already awake and then just close my eyes
I see a dream form in front of my eyes
I never get to really be in the dream though, I'm just watching like a TV........

I've also had several cases of where I'm having a usual ordinary dream, and then I wake up somehow.. One time I fell in a whirlpool of water and maybe the sensation jolted me awake... I kept spinning and spinning and I floated into my bedroom (but in another dimension... my bedroom looked different but I knew it was mine)

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a few times.

I use Lucille2 as a way to make me think about whether or not I'm dreaming. The program, on a random basis, pops up questions or statements for you to think about, such as "Look at your hands," or "7x8=54" (wrong), or "Can you move through walls?".

Funny, the last time I came close to being lucid, I saw my hands in my dream and said (in my dream), "I can so see my hands!!!" :tongue: But of course I didn't fully know that I was dreaming, because I didn't go lucid.

Reactions: Dreamer

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I can't lucid dream. I've tried and the dream controls me.
I've had sleep paralysis as well, I felt like I was stuck to the bed and couldn't move. I was awake and trying to turn sides in bed, but instead I was stuck on my back. It only happened once, but it freaked me out. I don't know if it really was paralysis, but someone told me it was. It felt awful trying to move, but you couldn't. It was like I was stapled on my back!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah I sometimes I get lucid dreams, not big fan of tho... I usually just fuck around when I am lucid dreaming, normal dreams are way more exciting and spontaneous.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I've had a few lucid dreams, quite some time ago.

Rarely do I remember my dreams now.

I've read a bit about lucid dreaming, and have tried to get into it a few times, but I don't keep up the effort. This thread is making me think about trying it again.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I've heard some pretty amazing things about what lucid dreaming can do for your growth and it really intrigues me, I've managed to induce it once or twice but never managed to stay in a lucid dream cause I get so excited about it. I'm fortunate I have amazing dreams anyway though.

I have suffered sleep paralyses though and as far as I know it was totally unrelated. Normal dream, only I woke up and had the sense of something really nasty being in the room with me - my mind gave the image of a mans dark figure. But I also couldn't move for a good minute or two and it wasn't very nice. It has crossed my mind when I've thought about inducing sleep states - but I think knowing all I do about fear and spiritual places - I know once I let go of the fear it can't hurt me.

Best of luck with your adventures, pleas keep us updated and please dont give up :) x

·
Registered
128 Posts
I can lucid dream when my dreams aren't realistic. There will be a moment in my dream when I realize that something is odd which then makes me realize that I'm dreaming. Its pretty exciting.
If the dream is realistic though, I hardly ever realize it. Sometimes I'll wake up suddenly and be shocked to know that it was all a dream.

Sleep Paralysis I've had when I was young and still do on occasion. It was scary when I was young though. I used to feel that I couldn't move my body and couldn't breathe as well. Thinking of it now, I wonder how I ever went to sleep then. It happened everyday but for some reason I was never bothered about it when I was awake. Now I can realize that I'm still stuck in a dream when I can't move so I just attempt to move my body. Its not easy to do and sometimes I end up moving my body really violently.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts