Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While perusing the forums i found only one big thread containing a topic on INTP dreams. And although i would love to spark up discussion on the crazy dreams that go through our minds, this thread is more specifically for Lucid Dreams and Sleep Disorders. So feel free to share what your brain does to you at night X)

Ill start...

I taught myself to lucid dream around the age of 12 as a combatant for nightmares. Once i figured out that i can control the nightmare, they stopped being scary haha. Since then i have had many great experiences lucid dreaming; ive taught myself to fly, i have walked through walls, and i have teleported. Just to name a few. It is definitely an unbelievable experience being able to control ones dreams, so to start i would love to hear some other peoples great trips through the world of lucid dreaming.

It does come with a price however, my mind decided to fight it over time. I would try to wake myself up from these dreams, only to wake up in another dream that seemed so close to reality it would take me a while to realize i was still dreaming. Then it got worse where i would continuously wake myself up into other dreams multiple times until i was terrified that i would never actually wake up. (Btw here come all the inception trolls haha) My dreams would even blatantly lie to me, like if i asked my mom or gf if i was dreaming they would say no you're awake! haha wtf.

From there it only progressed. In my teens i start getting sleep paralysis. For those of you who are not familiar, it is when one wakes up but your brain doesn't give the signal to your body to wake up at the same time leaving you temporarily paralyzed. This was scary at first but i dealt with it. Until i had both happen to me in the same night. I "woke myself up" 8 different times into different dreams, only to finally wake myself for real but into sleep paralysis that lasted 15 min or so. It sucked.

So any other INTPs with sleep disorders, here is a thread to share.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've had lucid dreams, not so many, but there were times when I had good spells of them. The flying ones are really good.

But I have had the dream within a dream, and sleep paralysis, but haven't had any of the above for a good while now.

I'd welcome the lucid dreams back, and i know it is possible to generate them, but i have never really practised it as an art.

They say that to properly dedicate yourself to lucid dreaming you have to change your sleep patterns fairly drastically, and that's just not going to work as a plan.

Sleep paralysis, have had it, but not so much, don't like it.

Dream within a dream, is cool but a bit unsettling sometimes. What always used to happen was I'd wake up, turn on the light, but the room would remain dark, then i'd wake up again, turn on the light, same thing, no light, that could happen 5 or 6 times, and eventually i would wake up in reality, test the light, and it would switch on.

It seemed the more I got used to outwitting the dream, the more it would build some other trick to outwit me. It was a tad scary, but the novelty of it was stronger than anything, and I wouldn't have a problem having dreams within dreams again.

I don't like sleep paralysis though, even though i think it's some way aligned to the dreams within dreams - or at least can be, depending on the story and situation

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I did taught myself to control the nightmares I had as a kid. I started changing them into looney tunes kind of physics so the usual falls from huge heights got quite funny. I never really bothered to expand on top of that. Now I get interested into the lucid dreams as a subject and will try to gather some knowledge on the topic.

Your third paragraph reminds me of the movie "Waking life" which I guess you will enjoy if you haven't watched it already (and thanks for reminding me to watch it again xD)

·
Banned
701 Posts
I never had a lucid dream nor a sleep paralysis (I sleep on my stomach) and I hardly remember most of my dreams. I tried to hold a dream diary to improve my memory but got lazy after a few days. Before I stopped though, I noticed I could remember more details from my dreams, which as a result made me more lazy to write all that stuff down.

My big question now is : why try to get lucid dreams when most of my dreams feel like movies at best ? I hear testimonies of many people who claim their dreams, while not being lucid, feel real, like they actually see the world around them with details and thing happening.
My dreams are only made of feelings, a story, and instead of, let's say a room that I can see around me, only the feeling that I'm in this room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd welcome the lucid dreams back, and i know it is possible to generate them, but i have never really practised it as an art.

They say that to properly dedicate yourself to lucid dreaming you have to change your sleep patterns fairly drastically, and that's just not going to work as a plan
I've heard of people dedicating themselves to lucid dreaming and such, i dont recommend it though. I've heard horror stories about people taking certain supplements or drastically changing their sleep patterns in order to achieve lucidity and it had irreversible negative effects on their mind and quality of sleep. I learned it as a defense mechanism but didnt do so by changing my normal sleep habits. But to each's own, if you can get there then enjoy the experience.

Now I get interested into the lucid dreams as a subject and will try to gather some knowledge on the topic.

Your third paragraph reminds me of the movie "Waking life" which I guess you will enjoy if you haven't watched it already (and thanks for reminding me to watch it again xD)
It's definitely a very interest subject to look into. And thanks i'll be sure to check out that movie :)

My big question now is : why try to get lucid dreams when most of my dreams feel like movies at best ? I hear testimonies of many people who claim their dreams, while not being lucid, feel real, like they actually see the world around them with details and thing happening.
My dreams are only made of feelings, a story, and instead of, let's say a room that I can see around me, only the feeling that I'm in this room.
At this point in my life i don't really choose to lucid dream or not. Only about 50% of my dreams are lucid, the others are normal. Basically it just depends whether or not i realize im dreaming during the dream. One my my psych major friends told me that lucid dreaming can be bad, because normal sleep/dreams are a way for your mind to recover from the days events and that you are not allowing your brain to do its job. idk about that but my lucidity frequency does kind of have a direct correlation to my stress levels now that i think about. Definitely interesting.

·
Read Only
795 Posts
While perusing the forums i found only one big thread containing a topic on INTP dreams. And although i would love to spark up discussion on the crazy dreams that go through our minds, this thread is more specifically for Lucid Dreams and Sleep Disorders. So feel free to share what your brain does to you at night X)

Ill start...

I taught myself to lucid dream around the age of 12 as a combatant for nightmares. Once i figured out that i can control the nightmare, they stopped being scary haha. Since then i have had many great experiences lucid dreaming; ive taught myself to fly, i have walked through walls, and i have teleported. Just to name a few. It is definitely an unbelievable experience being able to control ones dreams, so to start i would love to hear some other peoples great trips through the world of lucid dreaming.

It does come with a price however, my mind decided to fight it over time. I would try to wake myself up from these dreams, only to wake up in another dream that seemed so close to reality it would take me a while to realize i was still dreaming. Then it got worse where i would continuously wake myself up into other dreams multiple times until i was terrified that i would never actually wake up. (Btw here come all the inception trolls haha) My dreams would even blatantly lie to me, like if i asked my mom or gf if i was dreaming they would say no you're awake! haha wtf.

From there it only progressed. In my teens i start getting sleep paralysis. For those of you who are not familiar, it is when one wakes up but your brain doesn't give the signal to your body to wake up at the same time leaving you temporarily paralyzed. This was scary at first but i dealt with it. Until i had both happen to me in the same night. I "woke myself up" 8 different times into different dreams, only to finally wake myself for real but into sleep paralysis that lasted 15 min or so. It sucked.

So any other INTPs with sleep disorders, here is a thread to share.
I really would like to have a lucid dream, but I can't ever break out of the torpid stupor of my subconscious mind. Do you have any advice? (I'm 15, if that's of any relevance. It's probably not.)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've had both normal dreams and lucid dreams. I've also had dreams where I was aware that I was dreaming but I couldn't control my dream. Those types of dreams can be really annoying, especially if they're bad dreams.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really would like to have a lucid dream, but I can't ever break out of the torpid stupor of my subconscious mind. Do you have any advice? (I'm 15, if that's of any relevance. It's probably not.)
First, see above post. Second there is much info on google :)
But seriously i guess there aren't really nights that i do it on purpose, and as i said before i kind of just learned it and it kind of just happens. But from my observations of myself there are some things that can effect the likelihood of obtaining lucidity.
1. I noticed in high school that substances can be influencing (haha pun intended). Any days that i smoke weed or consumed alcohol i would never have a lucid dream, mainly because i sleep like a baby when going to bed under the influence.
2. Caffeine can up the likelihood, if you can manage to get to sleep. Like drink a lot of caffeine then go to bed before you feel the effects and it can help.

There was a period of time a while back where i wanted to explore my lucid dreams. I tried taking some supplements but it didn't help. I shortly quit taking them after reading horror stories on google. Ironically though, the nights i make a conscious effort to lucid dream, I usually don't :p

Anyway hope that helps

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,333 Posts
Not sure if they are connected to real Sleep Disorders, if so it'd be a medical thing rather than type related but interesting.

l did have a 24 hour sleep deprivation test right around the time l had lucid dreams regularly and l was a heavy video gamer. Maybe 10 years old. lt was a strange time.

*googles connections for the next several hours*

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've never experienced sleep paralysis that I couldn't switch off, but I can induce it. I actually quite like it, because it's the only circumstance where I don't have the muscle twitches urging me to turn over and roll around.

As far as waking up within dreams, I don't do that very often. Once or twice it's happened in the last year and even then I was "tired" within the dream and just went back to bed only to later realize I'd never actually gotten out.

I like to induce my lucid dreams from a waking state though, so it's rare I check to see if I'm dreaming or not so lucid dreams in the middle of the night are very rare for me now. I've had some episodes that would have been enough clinical evidence to have me committed though. At one point I fell asleep listening to my neighbors discuss...well they were having a discussion and I could hear it as clearly as if they were a few inches from my ear. I've had myself talk myself to sleep...as in literally heard an astral version of my own self start talking to me while I was still conscious...and I very, very often hear/sense giant spiders in my room, which is funny because I used to have arachnophobia and I actually feel quite safe when I hear them scuttling about the floor (I've never actually seen them, but I get the impression they are the size of an average size dog...).

When I first taught myself to do this I pulled it off three mornings in a row, during which time I got visits from "neighbors" (they felt like neighbors but I kind of got the impression that I might have been the one visiting, for some reason) who didn't actually visit me at all and on more than one occasion was aware of what I can only describe as a shadow monster that was "sleeping" and unaware of me, in my living room.

I haven't done it very much since because early mornings, when this works best for me, are usually reserved for excessive bouts of laziness and procrastination and I'm happy knowing that I can do it should I so wish...which is kind of sad because it's probably the coolest thing I've ever taught myself to do, ever.

It is as visceral, tangible and experiential as waking life though. More so, actually. It's hard to describe. The first time I did it I remember feeling annoyed because I thought I'd messed up, only to open my eyes and find myself floating along the living room and into the kitchen. The sun had come up (it was sunrise when I first started) and the kitchen had been cleaned (I'd cleaned it the night before) and everything was as it should be except...more ethereal...it kind of reminded me of the forests in avatar and how they came alive at night with phosphorescent light, though not as extreme. Anyway. I felt my hands and my face and even though I knew, that this was, for lack of a better explanation, a projection of my mind - everything felt as solid and tangible as it should. I could even feel warmth off my hands. The only problem was that I also felt somewhat like a baby who was learning to walk and I couldn't sustain it for very long. This is why I would like to practice it more often, because It's basically like having access to your own private universe where you can do/create/be anything you want with enough practice.

I don't think it is dangerous, though, unless you let it take over your life. In fact I think people who eschew it or fail to lend credence to stuff like this are in more danger of psychosis because they're so wrapped up in "their" reality that when the curtain finally falls and they're forced to confront their own limited perspectives, they'll probably tinker around the rim of a nervous breakdown. For me, all it's done is increase my appreciation for the human brain and loosen my preconceptions regarding the most redundant word in the universe: reality.

·
Registered
69 Posts
oh lucid dreaming the light at the end of tunnel, happen a couple of times but my brain quickly figured out an solution to prevent that again ended up giving up on lucid dreaming and focused more on reaching delta brainwave (also called "REM sleep" when we dream) using meditation so far managed to reach sleep paralysis state with meditation but again my tricky brain always finds fixes, so instead of progress after successful practices it gets harder and harder,
so far what i found out reaching delta brainwave state with meditation is called pure awareness also the enlightenment state basically you get to construct your dreams an ultimate form of lucid dreaming in my opinion
is it just my brain always tries to prevent me from achieving any control over it ??

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have lucid dreams often. I learned to 'control' my dreams during a time I had nightmares too frequently. My typical course of action is escape by flying. Flying is the coolest thing you can do.
I have dreams within dreams too. Usually the same situation repeating itself, for example: I'm taking a nap and I dream I'm taking a nap and dream that I take a nap, in the exact place I tool the 'real one'.
I also suffer from sleep paralysis. It's not nice, although lately I sort of realized what was happening and try to calm myself instead, usually into falling totally asleep again.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have also taught myself to recognize when I am dreaming(My technique was to make myself count my fingers repetitively until I started doing it unconsciously, and now can notice when something is wrong with the number of fingers/counting). Its quite enjoyable, but usually out of fear of potential I just do something I would never have done in the real world in an attempt to wake up, usually jumping off a building.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Personally, I don't like lucid dreams. When I'm finally able to sleep, it's the only time I can shut off my brain for a while; lucid dreams don't let me do that, and I wake up feeling just as tired as when I went to sleep.

Surreal dreams can be interesting, though. Sleeping with a nicotine patch on can give you some pretty bizarre ones.

·
Registered
31,211 Posts
I recently had a lucid dream, my tv was playing a video then I noticed that my video player wasn't even turned on so I just like wow this is a dream. None the less I still zoomed into the tv and I was suddenly hanging off a building or something. So since I realized it was a dream I tried to imagine a hot girl so I could have some imaginary pleasure, but she never became "real" it was just like imagining an image of a person when awake. I guess I don't have the developer tools to my dreams it's cool that I imagined a hot girl while inside my imagination though. I believe I woke up with sleep paralysis for a few seconds but I didn't care because it happened a few times before.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Whenever I try to lucid dream I have no control over my environment and it seems like everyone but myself is hallucinating.

I'm not sure if this is relevant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts