Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people type Lucy from Elfen Lied as an INFP, but I never saw any real Ne use from her, so I always typed her as ISFP. I figured her violent behaviour to be her trying to physically express her rage with Se since she couldn't use Ne to do it. But this one website I looked at argues her to be an ISTJ. (I tried to post a link to it, but my post count is 12 and needs to be 15 before I can post pictures and links on this site. I thought it had to be 10? Huh... just go on Google and type "Lucy Elfen Lied ISTJ" That should do it)While I could very well see an argument for use of Si, I'm still not really convinced with their arguments for use of Te and Ne.

On their argument for Lucy using auxilliary Te --

"Lucy is a master when it comes to the usage of her vectors – she is very skillful in manipulating them in order to get what she wants" Well, YEAH. They're HER vectors. She SHOULD be able to easily manipulate them. That's like saying "That guy has great use of Te because he is so skillful at manipulating his arms and hands to do what he wants" That's a dumb argument. Why WOULDN'T she be good at manipulating her vectors? How does objective reasoning have ANYTHING to do with that? "Because of this, Lucy is feared by many" Nothing to do with objective logic. Could be related to Se aggression, if she's an ISFP. Or it could just be that a misanthropic and emotionally fucked up person has scary superpowers and often uses them to turn a room into a blender. "She doesn’t run away from conflict or fights; instead, she jumps right to them, facing whoever comes in her away" Sounds like Se to me. That, or it has nothing to do with cognitive functions. Not sure... "As result, Lucy as a very evident self-destructive behavior" Nothing to do with objective reasoning and everything to do with being emotionally and psychologically messed up. "and she usually displays a non-emotional, cold, almost tyrannical conduct, regardless social conventions or niceties" Okay, so she doesn't use Fe. She's an Fi user. Fi is introverted. You don't easilly see it. The "tyrannical" thing might be a good point though. But the truth is, I always felt her to seem fairly emotional to me. Just ina brooding way. ISTJ's don't have a reputation for brooding, but Fi dominants do. "Lucy doesn’t come across as emotionally engaging or supportive, and so, her preference for extroverted thinking (Te) is quite obvious" No, it makes her preference for Fi quite obvious. "since she decides upon logic and reasoning" DOES she decide upon logic and reasoning? You haven't made a compelling argument that she does.

On their assertion of repressed Ne --

"
Lucy has lived a quite erratic life, facing the darkest aspects of humans (cruelty, abuse, torture, alienation, ..) – which lead her to take a misanthropic attitude and a bitter approach towards life" I don't think Lucy has had much choice in her erratic lifestyle. Therefor, I do not see how her erratic lifestyle makes for a good argument for her use of Ne. "Lucy is determined to extinguish the human race and to do so she infects as many humans as possible with her virus" Might that determination be possible from somebody using tertiary Ni to pursue their goals with a sort of "set of blinders on" so to speak? "In other words, Lucy wants to find an alternative to this horrid and brutal world (inferior Ne), by trying to change the world to her ones" ...

So wanting an alternative to something absolutely awful is proof of Ne use? What kinda argument is that?! Maybe she has an idea of what a better world would be like and goes after it, pursuing a goal? See how I've twisted that into an argument for Ni? Not that that would be a great argument either.
"Lucy’s perception of the world were essentially influenced by her past experience (Si) and she isn’t a very abstract thinker" Okay, I could see that argument. Not fully convinced of ISTJ though, but that argument makes more sense to me. I haven't found Lucy to be much of an abstract thinker myself and have never really considered her to be a strong Ne user. But does that mean she uses it as an inferior function? Or that it's not even in her top 4? I don't feel these guys provided much of an argument for Ne even being used as an inferior function, other than them arguing that she's an Si dominant, and ergo, an Ne repressed person by implication then. Other than that one argument though, no convincing argument for Ne, in my opinion. "Due to her past abuse she suffered, Lucy never had a traditional or conservative approach to life" Well, what traditions are we talking about here? Violence and cruelty seem to be traditions in her life, and she certainly seems to carry those traditions on in her violence against others with her superpowers and he instinctual drive to kill people who aren't Kouta. " As she claims 'I can make my own home, it has nothing to do with you'"
I'm not sure what to make of that statement... That DOES sound like a kind of "I live in my own head" type statement that would involve living in her own little world, but still, not so much as to make her seem like much of an abstract thinker to me. If somebody could convince me that she uses Ne and that she uses it beyond the point of repression, I'd be convinced of INFP for Lucy, but I don't see her as an bastract thinker either and I don't really see Ne from her. But does that mean it's repressed or that she doesn't use it in her top 4 functions at all? I'm not fure. There are 2 things I can agree on that everybody else also seems to agree on: 1) Lucy's an introvert. 2) Lucy's an Fi user (therefor, a Te user to some extent by connection) Note that that does not mean I outright reject the possibility of ISTJ. I actually still think it may be quite possible. Afterall, I DID say that I found the argument that she's an Si user to be plausible. But I also believe ISFP to be quite possible. Not so convinced of INFP. Not convinced she's an intuitive. I always thought Lucy to be quite emotional, which is why I always thought her to be a feeler rather than a thinker, but given her past (AND her present! People forget that her past is carried over all through to the end, pretty much, in terms of grim predicaments) I could understand her melancholy. Does anybody have any insight or a different perspective or a position(with reasoning for it) that they would like to share? I'm really curious to try and figure out Lucy's type. Any help or input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. My bad. It's been a while since I've posted something on here, and even longer since I started a post. I'll try to be more careful about where I post next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts