Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here a fan of M Night Shyamalan films, such as The Sixth Sense, The Village, Signs, The Lady in the Water? While far from perfect and an easy target for parody, I find the style of these films to be very emotional and laden with symbolism, mysticism, and a fairy-tale quality that may appeal to INFJs?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Funny, I was thinking about this the other day...I think Mr. Shyamalan MUST be an INFJ himself...

Have seen The Sixth Sense, Signs, Unbreakable, Lady in the Water, and The Village. My favorite of those, hands down, is Unbreakable.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Anyone here a fan of M Night Shyamalan films, such as The Sixth Sense, The Village, Signs, The Lady in the Water? While far from perfect and an easy target for parody, I find the style of these films to be very emotional and laden with symbolism, mysticism, and a fairy-tale quality that may appeal to INFJs?
I can see why it may appeal to you, but I think that the quality of his work has been decreasing for quite some time.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think unbreakable was his best work. I've heard that the airbender was a real P.O.S. though.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I enjoy all of his films, other than The Happening. That one sucked. My favorite is The Village. It's beautifully shot and I enjoyed the film for what it was.

·
Banned
359 Posts
I love his movies, its a kind of mysterious and i loved watching his movies.

I think it can appeal to dominant iNtitutive types, like ENTP's also , because they usually look for mysterious things.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I think he started off strong with 6th Sense, but I agree with Dsv2e that the quality has been steadily decreasing with each subsequent film. Probably my favorite is the Village, though even it is flawed (not least due to the unfortunate "acting" debut by Opie's daughter). I also enjoyed Unbreakable. I did not see Signs.

I stayed in the theater for Lady in the Water (for which I had high hopes) only because I assumed that at some point it would get better. I regret to this day not having walked out on it. The Happening is also garbage that I unfortunately paid money to see in the theater. These two films taught me a valuable lesson about his future projects, namely to stay as far away as possible.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I like Unbreakable.

He may be an INFJ but he kills me with having just one way to end a movie - The Deus ex Machina twist. Everything is a deus ex machina twist. And the "surprise" is never really a surprise at all.

No spoilers but whatever your Ni tells you an obvious hack twist ending would be in the middle of the movie - you can absolutely Count on the fact that this is how he will end the movie.

I think he's a decent filmmaker - he just stinks at endings LOL

·
Banned
89 Posts
I like all his films except Signs. I thought Lady in the Water was one of his best, it was just advertised wrong. So people went to the theaters looking for one kind of movie and getting a completely different one. I thought the Happening was awesome. A lot of the tense moments reminded me of Hitchcock's The Birds.
Unbreakable is by far my favorite.
The Sixth Sense was alright. Enjoyable but not a masterpiece. Signs was flat out dumb and the Village was amazing.

I haven't seen the Last Airbender yet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't seen the Last Airbender yet.
I haven't seen that either, but being a fan of the cartoon, I don't know if I would want to even go near it. I have no respect for him after hearing how he butchered this. It upsets me knowing that if it was directed correctly it could have been a big summer blockbuster, but it was a failure instead.

I can only hope that someone else will attempt to make another Avatar:The Last Airbender movie and do it right.

Sorry about my unnecessary rant...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts